How is cowlitz looking

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: How is cowlitz looking

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:28 am

I thought there was a day mare jig too, I heard it somewhere.
yeah I make my own spinners and jigs too and that is the cool thing about them is making an endless array of color combos until you run out of thread...

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:37 am

Brat Bonker wrote:I thought there was a day mare jig too, I heard it somewhere.
yeah I make my own spinners and jigs too and that is the cool thing about them is making an endless array of color combos until you run out of thread...
Hehehe, that reminds me, it's time for a trip to the fish store. Next year will be a lot of pink thread. This is fair warning for next year, it's a pink year! I'd start stocking up on pink stuff, by July the shelves will be empty.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:46 am

Bodo First Bite only offers bead style metal heads for their jigs so they only come in a couple different shades. Nigthtmare coloration is White Black and red any change in color is a variation but not the original. It's not a soup do jour if it's been around for 20 years or so.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:24 am

BNRSteel wrote:Bodo First Bite only offers bead style metal heads for their jigs so they only come in a couple different shades. Nigthtmare coloration is White Black and red any change in color is a variation but not the original. It's not a soup do jour if it's been around for 20 years or so.
Yes, I'm well aware of what First Bite offers, the first kit I bought from them didn't even have a white bead in it so what do you think about that? Who's to say what the original was? I'm sure there are a good dozen or so inventors. Let’s have a little documentation on the first one, if you’re going to claim “Original”. Over the last 20 years I've seen about every color under the sun labeled a "Nightmare" or "Nite-Mare" so I can go with the Black and Red as that seems to be main colors used but black on the outside with a different color under fits more, as about every fish lure under the sun has color variations. Hows this for ya, I will concede the color combination when you can show me a chart or decree from some sort of governing body that keeps track of and or names fishing lures, like SAE, IEEE, FIA, NTSB, IGFC or the like, no manufactures. Until then, it's whatever anyone wants to say they are. Today I'm going with purple and pink with a green head.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:11 am

Calm down there fella. I have been working in the tackle business for some time now and if I were to order a night mare jig from manufacturer and they sent me anything other than a red, white and black jig I would return it. You can call a jig color combo anything you would want I suppose, however there is a standard. I know First Bite very well... I know they don't carry a white head. I order their product on a large scale. If I order a plug for one of my Pro-staff and they ask for the Grinch Coloration I don't order a cerise with a black bill, i order silver with a chartruese and green butt with chartruese tiger stripes. I know of the Night mare series that Hawkens has put out so that is not even in the equation here, it's variation on the nightmare coloration. I'm not trying to say who made it first or argue with you that point at all, I am saying that the standard color scheme for a nightmare jig is RED WHITE BLACK. Just tryng to say what is the industry standard friend.

kingfisherman1
Petty Officer

Post by kingfisherman1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:41 am

So I was thinking about heading down to Blue Creek this weekend. Anyone know how it looks right now or if anything is being caught on the boat ramp trail? I was there a couple weeks ago and saw a few rolling but nothing caught.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am

BNRSteel wrote:Calm down there fella. I have been working in the tackle business for some time now and if I were to order a night mare jig from manufacturer and they sent me anything other than a red, white and black jig I would return it. You can call a jig color combo anything you would want I suppose, however there is a standard. I know First Bite very well... I know they don't carry a white head. I order their product on a large scale. If I order a plug for one of my Pro-staff and they ask for the Grinch Coloration I don't order a cerise with a black bill, i order silver with a chartruese and green butt with chartruese tiger stripes. I know of the Night mare series that Hawkens has put out so that is not even in the equation here, it's variation on the nightmare coloration. I'm not trying to say who made it first or argue with you that point at all, I am saying that the standard color scheme for a nightmare jig is RED WHITE BLACK. Just tryng to say what is the industry standard friend.
My point is, there is no standard. They are what anyone says they are, your color combo works too. Short of a patent or copyright, they could be anything.
Last year when I ordered a handful from a big name Mfg. (well, as big as any are.) before a trip, all they sent were black heads with black outer and red inner fuzz. If I had ordered them from another Mfg., they would have probably come with pearl heads and black outer and red inner fuzz. Three years ago, launching at the Cow, I saw a guide pulling out that I had chatted with on a several occasions at industry functions and he handed me three of his "Special Nightmares" that were black head, black outer and purple inner. They were the "hot ticket" for the day. No offence but you're not the first to proclaim a particular lure to be a certain color(s), no if and or buts, dyed in the wool, sorry it just aint so.

I'm glad you have an understanding with your supplier about the color(s) you expect to see when you order a "Nightmare" jig, if they sent someting I wasn't expecting I'd return it too. It makes life a lot easier to get expected results. If it's white, black and red it's all good too.

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Actually there is a standard. I Order from Johns Jigs, Hawkens Industries which includes multiple jig name brands, First Bite and many others for business. I also have tested literally hundreds of other jigs out there, the common thread... nightmare is the same color scheme. I guess you can say it's point of view or opinion, that is your right. You win, I will stick with my nightmare, along with every angler and business I know. By the way, what manufacturer did you order from? Since it was a big name I am slightly interested.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 pm

It was Yakima.

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Great company. The maxi jig and lil corky jig are decent jigs. The maxi jig has a nightmare model however if you are referring to the Lil Corky jig the company calls what you described as simply Black and red. Where they call the white red and black Maxi jig as nightmare. I've ordered them as well. Lets squash this, we are currently hi-jacking a thread on the Cowlitz. I have heard of some nice fish currently being caught during the high water however around Blue Creek. It's just stories however, I haven't been down there at all. I stick to the OP rivers. Little more solitude for my liking.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:15 pm

I read somewhere that casey of fish doctor jigs was the first to offer the true white head, red body, black tail nightmare.
Hey BNR are you ever going to carry Brads jigs there because I would definetly be a customer along with you guys are like the only place to carry cleardrift bobbers near me.

kingfisherman1
Petty Officer

Post by kingfisherman1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:07 pm

So...uh...does anyone have any info on the Cowlitz or did I stumble across the jig thread here? Thanks!

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:32 am

As I said above, I've heard some decent fish being caught from the cowlitz. I, however haven't fished it at all. I have seen photos of some really nice fish coming from there though.

kingfisherman1
Petty Officer

Post by kingfisherman1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:16 am

lol ok. I appreciate the jig info too I'm just trying to plan my one-day-a-week fishing trip and do not want to drive two hours to a non productive or blown out river. THX

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:45 am

kingfisherman1 wrote:lol ok. I appreciate the jig info too I'm just trying to plan my one-day-a-week fishing trip and do not want to drive two hours to a non productive or blown out river. THX
The Cow is one of those wonderful places that rarely gets totally blown. They have this Dam that allows them to control the water flow. Check the creel reports for Blue Creek. I've been there when the trail has been under water and people are still catching. Check the creel reports to get a idea on how many fish are being caught. Believe me I do understand the two hour drive thing.

Ghanilorn666
Petty Officer

Post by Ghanilorn666 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:00 pm

The Cow was at 14,200 cfps about 2 days ago. Not sure how it is now. Weve had quite abit of rain down here.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:49 pm

I love fishing at barrier when it is running like 8-10k, fish are at your feet and they bite really well.