Steelhead Reports and Pics 2012-2013

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
beachbum97
Warrant Officer

Re: Steelhead Reports and Pics 2012-2013

Post by beachbum97 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:40 pm

I'll see you guys Sunday. What spots you guys hitting? It's been a slow start for me.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:08 am

Good luck. Better get there early. Weekends are super crowded. Ill be on the Hump
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:03 am

yeah I am either going to the cow or sporks for bogy metal.

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 am

fishenfreak wrote:Good luck. Better get there early. Weekends are super crowded. Ill be on the Hump
The hump will be perfect shape, I'll also probably be on the hump or the nooch for coho and metal..
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:yeah I am either going to the cow or sporks for bogy metal.
You should go to the bogy, theres probably a couple hundred fish in the river right now. I might try to get out there next weekend myself... somehow.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 pm

BlakeP wrote:
You should go to the bogy, theres probably a couple hundred fish in the river right now. I might try to get out there next weekend myself... somehow.
At the hatchery mouth?

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
BlakeP wrote:
At the hatchery mouth?
Yeah, the hatchery on the bogy. There's always fish there around now to janurary. I think by november 30th theres normally 2-5 hundred fish in the hatchery already.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 pm

slow again today, was cold again and there arent too many fish around. Landed one and lost 2 NICE fish, one we lost because a brand new beau mac jig hook snapped in half after 5-6 heakshakes and a flash or 2 of chrome. Didnt hardly have any pressure...
Attachments
66094_523561960989866_1057495524_n.jpg
66094_523561960989866_1057495524_n.jpg (191.05 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
215932_523573767655352_1157956266_n.jpg
215932_523573767655352_1157956266_n.jpg (116.4 KiB) Viewed 2085 times

bigskyx
Warrant Officer

Post by bigskyx » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:30 pm

You should send that pic to Beau Mac. I'm sure they'd like to know that their hooks are failing!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:05 pm

fishenfreak wrote:slow again today, was cold again and there arent too many fish around. Landed one and lost 2 NICE fish, one we lost because a brand new beau mac jig hook snapped in half after 5-6 heakshakes and a flash or 2 of chrome. Didnt hardly have any pressure...
Those hooks are not the greatest, that is why I just ordered those ones I told you about. The new mustad 32833 2x strong salmon/stealhead specific hook. Gotta like those hooks!!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 pm

FF You must have shown up late today, I didn't see you on the way in, or was that your rig at the mouth? Looked kinda like your rig. Much warmer today, but still below freezing. Had a guy come down and stand out in the water almost up to his knees.....I don't get it, what the hell do people think they are doing when you have crystal clear water with unlimited visibility and unlimited area on the land to stand with nothing in the way to prevent you from casting and you walk up and stomp out in the f**** water and expect there to be fish???? Hello the fish are not going to stick around after stepping on them!!!! [cursing]
Sorry had to get that off my chest....unbelievable how often I see it down there. Common sense guys

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Metal wrote:They've gotten 15 back at the bogey. And it's the furthest thing from hot that there is right now. Plus 0 plants in the calawah returning this year.
That was as of the 19th, hasn't been updated for this week yet. Most fish dont enter the river till the last week of november which is this week. Though the smolt plants for the bogy were low and 0 in the calawah was sad to see..I do expect a smaller run this year. There are fish in the bogy though.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:18 pm

yeah the bogy is said to start around thanksgiving but the run stops around the holidays then they only trinkle in, last year during the 'high water' it was crazy and I was up there for a week straight, gonna be doing that again this year as long as the run is good during christmas break.
I think I might just hit the puy again this weekend and take it easy, pick up some things from sportco.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:yeah the bogy is said to start around thanksgiving but the run stops around the holidays then they only trinkle in, last year during the 'high water' it was crazy and I was up there for a week straight, gonna be doing that again this year as long as the run is good during christmas break.
I think I might just hit the puy again this weekend and take it easy, pick up some things from sportco.
Run starts thanksgiving, gets good around the start of december, then slows down at the end of december. I remember that though right after all the rain. Didn't make it out there when all those fish came in though. I think they got like 1000 fish back within those few weeks. Puy, instead of bogy steelhead bonker? More for me then. Haha

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:31 pm

yeah it was the last week of december starting on the 26th and the rain just kept coming made the water higher and no one was fishing until the afternoon on friday it was awesome, every cast one would hit your rod but they would just mouth it and they were so stacked that if you missed the biting one you would accidently snag another one and these pups got big too like some were easily over 20 breaking my 14lb test like thread and bending my jig hooks. It sucked seeing a half a dozen fish in the hatchery with pink worms in their mouths, those lucky little fish...sad thing is that the hatchery gets a couple thousand back but bonks every single one of them for food banks, no recycle program or even fish to spawn for smolts, stupid if you asked me.
But yeah blake if your truck is all good then you deserve to bonk some brats before I arrive.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:yeah it was the last week of december starting on the 26th and the rain just kept coming made the water higher and no one was fishing until the afternoon on friday it was awesome, every cast one would hit your rod but they would just mouth it and they were so stacked that if you missed the biting one you would accidently snag another one and these pups got big too like some were easily over 20 breaking my 14lb test like thread and bending my jig hooks. It sucked seeing a half a dozen fish in the hatchery with pink worms in their mouths, those lucky little fish...sad thing is that the hatchery gets a couple thousand back but bonks every single one of them for food banks, no recycle program or even fish to spawn for smolts, stupid if you asked me.
But yeah blake if your truck is all good then you deserve to bonk some brats before I arrive.
Yeah i remember hearing about that. Lot of people snagging them that week right? But the fish do get big the last part of the run, i like eating the little 4-6 pounders more than the big ones though. The large steelhead put up a great fight of course. The hatchery bonks all the fish and doesn't spawn ore recycle them? I didn't know that...Oh the truck is not good, we went to go get the stuff out of the back and the front of the truck is completly gone. I'll be sure to find some other way to get out there and bonk some brats. I WILL!!

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 pm

like I said dust off the bike blake haha and find the closest spot on the dungy and learn it like the back of your hand.
not much snagging other than this one stupid local that decided to budge in and start ripping away killing the bite for the rest us, it SUCKED!!! [-( I was so mad cause I only needed one more for a limit too.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:like I said dust off the bike blake haha and find the closest spot on the dungy and learn it like the back of your hand.
not much snagging other than this one stupid local that decided to budge in and start ripping away killing the bite for the rest us, it SUCKED!!! [-( I was so mad cause I only needed one more for a limit too.
Haha i already know most spots on the dungy quite well, but that looks like what i'm still gonna have to do. You sure he was local? Probably, most locals snag..Like people here on the dungy. Its annoying when someone just walks right infront of you and just starts ripping at fish. Only ever seen one steelhead snagged though, and it was by accident. This one little kid that was like 8 was fishing with a little trout rod on the bogy and somehow accidently snagged a huge hatchery steelhead in the tail. Nice bright fish about 15lbs. He didn't land it though, watched the fish pop the hook off on a rock.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:54 pm

locals snag fish on the skook all the time and on the bogy he was pretty known and he lived in forks so yeah he was a local, he snagged his limit finally and about an hour after he left the fish started biting again but not as good

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:locals snag fish on the skook all the time and on the bogy he was pretty known and he lived in forks so yeah he was a local, he snagged his limit finally and about an hour after he left the fish started biting again but not as good
Why would someone think they have to snag a hatchery steelhead anyway? They bite just about anything. It would be easier for them to get the fish to bite really.