A little rusty

All things related to hunting.
bazzdude
Petty Officer

A little rusty

Post by bazzdude » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Well let me say that I have only hunted black tail on the west side of the state as a teenager. I have lived in Spokane now since 2001 and want to hunt here now. Just looking for a few suggestions of were to start looking for areas to hunt that are not private. In Packwood I could just go to the nat. forest there and be free. seems like when I head to the mts here thare are houses scattered around and I am not sure what is private and what is not. How can I determine where to go, like a map, somewhere on line, I am not asking for your secret spot just a starting location I guess. Over on the west side there are not as many hunters I don't think, seems like over here it will me hard to find a spot to my self. Ok, well this will probably be my fist post of many to come in the next 8 months or so. Thanks for reading and please any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

YellowBear
Captain

Re: A little rusty

Post by YellowBear » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 am

As a kid growing up in Spokane,I would get permisson to hunt by trading labor.
I would help with harvest, fix fence, help with field work, pick fruit what ever needed to be done.
South of Cheney, Colfax, Spangal,St. John, Almoata All have some good Deer hunting.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:45 am

go to the game dept web site and under hunting go to "go hunt" download the map of the area you are looking at hunting. It shows state and fed land. If you have a Garmin GPS you may be able to use a map program that shows who's land you are on. http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Also if you want to pay a few $ try http://www.iepco.com/recreation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Alright. Thanks guys. That is good info. I will start doing some homework. My in laws live in spangle so maybe I will talk with him some about it. Thanks again.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:27 pm

bazzdude wrote:Alright. Thanks guys. That is good info. I will start doing some homework. My in laws live in spangle so maybe I will talk with him some about it. Thanks again.
Take a hard look at the San Juans, they have a problem with too many deer, I believe you can get two tags and there are some either sex as well. Bring a bow it all happens with in 30 feet or so.

The deer are small, 60 to 90 pounds but you get two and they're well fed with apples and the other livestocks food. [thumbup]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 pm

wow, that is a small deer. Must be a black tail. I have only shot black tail as a kid but they were bigger then that. I would love to go there and get a few but that is just not doable for me here in the Spokane county area. I am also thinking that a hunting trip will probably consist of a entire weekend as to were I grew up it was only a morning and evening outing due to close hunting areas. Am I right on this on guys> Any tips are still appreciated and are taking seriously. Thanks again. Ice fishing coming up soon. Yea. Fish on(the ice) [thumbsup]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Hehehe wow, just goes to show.... Surgery in the afternoon and forums in the eve.... Derrrr I was thinking hunting on the wet side. Wow lots of spots to hunt on the east side, just be careful about shooting over roads and trespassing. A lot of the range country is wide open, Quincy lakes wildlife area, I've seen many, many deer in there and just south of the Sunland road. Pretty close to dog tame...... You can always get up out of Twisp or even just head north from spokane. Lots o dear up out of Entiat, follow the river to the end of the road, my buddies brother in law owns the store/restaurant at the end of the road. Dang they're pretty much everywhere and a lot more out in the middle of the desert than you might think, after a little snow they'll be moving down.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:01 pm

Ya, I know where the Quincy lakes are. I am really hoping to find areas close to home but I am starting to realize that may be hard in less I know someone with land or else it will be a weekend trip. Makes it much harder being that I have 3 kids under 5 years old. lol. So maybe fishing is going to be out go to recreation for a while. But I am not letting me guard down. If anyone has anymore info let me know and thanks again everyone. Stay safe out there. :salut:

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”