Anyone using a rod mounted Fish finder?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
MotoBoat
Commodore

Anyone using a rod mounted Fish finder?

Post by MotoBoat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:39 pm

I came across this today:
Fishiing rod mounded f.f..JPG
Fishiing rod mounded f.f..JPG (147.42 KiB) Viewed 1636 times

Big D

Re: Anyone using a rod mounted Fish finder?

Post by Big D » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:10 pm

I have a friend that uses one just like that while ice fishing. It works great for getting the depth but not much else.
I saw an article a while back about one in development. They were looking for money. It was about the size of a golf ball and connected with your iphone via blue tooth. I'm holding out for that one.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:14 am

I had one of those on my kick boat for a long time. I just tethered the float to the back of the boat and held the reciever in my hand. It worked well for depth, never used it for finding fish. The unit quit working after a couple years. but the time I got a replacement floater, the batteries in the reciever went dead. I have a floating unit in the box, in the garage somewhere I think if you want it..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:37 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:I had one of those on my kick boat for a long time. I just tethered the float to the back of the boat and held the reciever in my hand. It worked well for depth, never used it for finding fish. The unit quit working after a couple years. but the time I got a replacement floater, the batteries in the reciever went dead. I have a floating unit in the box, in the garage somewhere I think if you want it..
Sweet, what kind of batteries does it take? If you get the hankerin to look for it one day, I am game to meet up. Gringo, do you recall ever seeing any fish on the screen?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:02 am

Pretty usless for spotting fish. I had one too, used it to get the depth of the little lakes I was fishing from the shore. The screen will have little fishes swim by but I'm sure its more of just someting in the water (if anything), weed or stick or whatever. I used it off my tube too but after a while you just get too much crap hanging and dangling.....
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:29 am

Bodofish wrote:Pretty usless for spotting fish. I had one too, used it to get the depth of the little lakes I was fishing from the shore. The screen will have little fishes swim by but I'm sure its more of just someting in the water (if anything), weed or stick or whatever. I used it off my tube too but after a while you just get too much crap hanging and dangling.....
I know what you mean. Every time I get the fly rod out, in combination with the float tube. The wind kicks up. Then, between the wind, and line piled up on the casting apron, and loops of line, like spaghetti noodle tangle. Dangling over and under the apron, too much stuff get's......well, rather frustrating. Then the casting takes place........LOL! [cursing]

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:42 am

I will go see if I can scroung the stuff up tonight. The floting device is self contained, when the battery dies - you trash it and buy a new one. The reciever takes a button battery (about the size of a quarter). Like Bodo, it would mark stuff, but I never confirmed it was fish and with the screen so small and sunlight against the screen hampering vision, I would just focus on the depth and not try to mark fish when I used it.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:I will go see if I can scroung the stuff up tonight. The floting device is self contained, when the battery dies - you trash it and buy a new one. The reciever takes a button battery (about the size of a quarter). Like Bodo, it would mark stuff, but I never confirmed it was fish and with the screen so small and sunlight against the screen hampering vision, I would just focus on the depth and not try to mark fish when I used it.
Give me a shout out here or a PM when your garage is cleaned out...LOL!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:22 am

MotoBoat wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote:I will go see if I can scroung the stuff up tonight. The floting device is self contained, when the battery dies - you trash it and buy a new one. The reciever takes a button battery (about the size of a quarter). Like Bodo, it would mark stuff, but I never confirmed it was fish and with the screen so small and sunlight against the screen hampering vision, I would just focus on the depth and not try to mark fish when I used it.
Garaged cleaned out???? I'm not sure that would be possible as I'm giving the Pecador an 11 on the scale of 10. I don't think it's possible to get any cleaner. [biggrin] I've seen the pics, don't try and deny it. [thumbsup]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 am

Bodofish wrote:
MotoBoat wrote:
Garaged cleaned out???? I'm not sure that would be possible as I'm giving the Pecador an 11 on the scale of 10. I don't think it's possible to get any cleaner. [biggrin] I've seen the pics, don't try and deny it. [thumbsup]
Are you claiming extreme organizational skills, at the Gringo Garage?

Chumknuckle
Angler

Post by Chumknuckle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:45 am

I nearly just bought one of these to use out on my kayak but based on the reviews, I am going to opt for this one which is more expensive but infinitely more reliable and useful:

Humminbird® PiranhaMAX 230 Portable Fish Finder

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... shlist.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:26 am

MotoBoat wrote:
Bodofish wrote:Garaged cleaned out???? I'm not sure that would be possible as I'm giving the Pecador an 11 on the scale of 10. I don't think it's possible to get any cleaner. [biggrin] I've seen the pics, don't try and deny it. [thumbsup]
Are you claiming extreme organizational skills, at the Gringo Garage?
Bodo's right, I admit it, I have an alter ego who is somewhat anal retentive, it is a constant battle ](*,) - Fishing gear is on one wall, 20+ rod holder (full), bar hanging off the ceiling above it for waders, rain jackets, vests, life jackets, space under it for boots & stuff, then a set of shelves for tackle boxes, box of neoprene gloves, box of hand warmers, box of power bars, etc.

The cleanliness of "The wall" and my garage general kind of follows the seasons.. The more daylight there is the more I start dumping things anywhere, now that it is dark all the time, I will spend more time in "the cave" than outside and start to put everything back together again.

I also have an extensive collection of the big milk crates which random crap that "I might use one day" or "where do I put this thing" goes. [razz]

As far as the fish finder - I remember taking it to the WL.com swap meet, but don't remember if I brought it home or not. I will check tonight.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 am

That's what you call a happy problem. I've found the only cure is marrage and kids for 20 or so years......