Ol' Girl gets a new Ol' Girl

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Ol' Girl gets a new Ol' Girl

Post by Amx » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Yup, the first thing she does is go out and harrass the fish and try to run over them. I guess that's ONE way to catch them. Image :cheers:
Tom.

Interests: living

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Amx wrote:Yup, the first thing she does is go out and harrass the fish and try to run over them. I guess that's ONE way to catch them. Image :cheers:
LOL. Just wanted them to remember me until next April.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:23 pm

Ol' Girl 2 was running like a top. You're looking good "making waves". Fun Fun Fun Ahead.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:50 am

That is one clean boat Toni, and it sounds like it runs great NICE SCORE!!!!. Someone took real good care of that one. Can't wait to see you get it slimed and bloody. =D>
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:31 am

Toni wrote:Went out today for my first ride and kokanee kid came with me.

Real short video to hear it run

Your smile says it all.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 am

Yippy!!!! That's a feeling that can't be beat!!!!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:27 pm

The kokaneekid wasn't up for some skiing? Was that a adjustable light, mounted on the bow? Does it work? Does this mean you can sneak up on Trent, cami & Glen, and others with boats. That you have fished with?

Based on the condition. This boat was purchased, parked in a garage, stuff stored around, under and inside. But never used. Your boat is like a blast from the past.

I do not have a tri-hull. But do have the same floor plan, and a 17ft boat. The sleeper type seat does take up more space than a pedestal.

But I have found, in rough water, while trout or Salmon fishing. Positioning the person fighting a fish, in the isle way, between the sleeper seats. They can sit on top of one of them or lean against one of the seats, with there wedged against the opposite seat base, and knees pressed against that seat. Is very comfortable for the second fisher to place themselves. In addition to comfort, they are very stable, and "back" away from the rail, where they should be during the netting process.

I find the downrigger boom, one each side of the boat. Is more of a obstacle to deal with when netting, than the seats.

Swivel bases on the downrigger would be where I would start. Then if the seats are not to you liking, switch them out for pedestal. There is also dry storage space under the seats. Small amount of storage, but storage non the less.

Is there padding that snaps in up front in the bow area? I did not see any storage there. Storage is a big deal for creature comfort.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:56 pm

Toni, what size motor is on it? 2 stroke or four? Its sound very smooth.

Mine is an inline 6, 2 stroke. Cant hear yourself think, muchless the person next to you.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:04 pm

Toni wrote:Went out today for my first ride and kokanee kid came with me.

Real short video to hear it run

lololol what a grin .... very nice wtg

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Rich McVey wrote:Toni, what size motor is on it? 2 stroke or four? Its sound very smooth.

Mine is an inline 6, 2 stroke. Cant hear yourself think, muchless the person next to you.
Without a doubt, Toni has a vintage two stroke. Motor looks to be no more than a 50. Should be semi quiet. I was basing the motor size on boat speed and motor shape. Looked to be 25mph tops. Kokanee kid and Toni had a short exchange of words, while at speed in the video. There is a picture with the motor up, and shows a dol-phin thing on the motor. Used to get on plane quicker. That also say's something about the size of motor.

I was kind of surprised, shocked is more like it. I had the spark plugs foul on my 9.9, 2 smoke kicker. It is pretty quiet at idle. Not so much at Coho trolling speed, if someone sitting in the bow area tries to converse. To the person operating the tiller handle at the rear of he boat. If your mid ship, conversation is not a problem. On this day, I had to troll with the 2 stroke 85horse. It was 50% quieter at trolling speed than the kicker. There was a considerable difference in fuel consumption too!!.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:22 pm

MotoBoat wrote: Based on the condition. This boat was purchased, parked in a garage, stuff stored around, under and inside. But never used. Your boat is like a blast from the past.
Is there padding that snaps in up front in the bow area? I did not see any storage there. Storage is a big deal for creature comfort.
It was garaged or covered but used. There are cracks in the fiberglass, plywood floor with newer carpet on. Tie down eye bolts are coming loose. Crack in the transom that they used 2 pieces of diamond plating on. For its age it is in good shape.
It is all 1973. Motor is 2 stroke 65 horse Evinrude triumph that the speedometer says I went 29 mph.
There isn't any padding nor storage in the front.
As for seats. This is a 15 foot boat. From the back seat to the end of the boat is maybe 2 feet with very little storage! I could use boxes with swivel seats on it and the boxes could be hinged for storage.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:32 pm

Seats like these;

The white thing you see thru the back of the seat is a Coleman cooler that is set up as a livewell. I don't have that picture on my computer, and don't know where they are.
Attachments
Bass Runner overhead view from front.jpg
Bass Runner overhead view from front.jpg (66.04 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
Tom.

Interests: living

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:54 pm

Yep like that. I would like the box the same size as the seat bottom.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 pm

Toni wrote:
MotoBoat wrote: Based on the condition. This boat was purchased, parked in a garage, stuff stored around, under and inside. But never used. Your boat is like a blast from the past.
It was garaged or covered but used. There are cracks in the fiberglass, plywood floor with newer carpet on. Tie down eye bolts are coming loose. Crack in the transom that they used 2 pieces of diamond plating on. For its age it is in good shape.
It is all 1973. Motor is 2 stroke 65 horse Evinrude triumph that the speedometer says I went 29 mph.
As for seats. This is a 15 foot boat. From the back seat to the end of the boat is maybe 2 feet with very little storage! I could use boxes with swivel seats on it and the boxes could be hinged for storage.
You could make the boxes a little bigger than the seat. offset the seat so the oversize part of the box is facing the side of the boat and not in the walkway where one might trip over it. Right now there is a 6 to 8" or more space between side of boat and side of seat. Just a thought.

Toni, did you ask why there are cracks in the rear transom? I am in no way trying to scare you. But do you remember what occured with Iceshark, in the Snohomish river? Happened to two of his boats. Both boats developed a bad transom issue. One developed cracks. And eventually started to sink in the Snoho river. He had to beach it, when it was taking on serous amounts of water.

When you say a crack in the transom was repaired with two pieces of diamond plate on. Is a red flag for me. Of course all I am basing this on is the knowledge of a crack and a repair where the boat will experience some of its greatest forces. That would be from the motor.

Do you have any pictures of the repair area, and knowledge of why the cracking occurred?

Once you were done with the test run and boat back on the trailer. Did you pull the plug? How much water came out?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:53 pm

MotoBoat wrote:
Toni wrote:
You could make the boxes a little bigger than the seat. offset the seat so the oversize part of the box is facing the side of the boat and not in the walkway where one might trip over it. Right now there is a 6 to 8" or more space between side of boat and side of seat. Just a thought.

Toni, did you ask why there are cracks in the rear transom? I am in no way trying to scare you. But do you remember what occured with Iceshark, in the Snohomish river? Happened to two of his boats. Both boats developed a bad transom issue. One developed cracks. And eventually started to sink in the Snoho river. He had to beach it, when it was taking on serous amounts of water.

When you say a crack in the transom was repaired with two pieces of diamond plate on. Is a red flag for me. Of course all I am basing this on is the knowledge of a crack and a repair where the boat will experience some of its greatest forces. That would be from the motor.

Do you have any pictures of the repair area, and knowledge of why the cracking occurred?

Once you were done with the test run and boat back on the trailer. Did you pull the plug? How much water came out?
I don't know why the transom was cracked. I thought it was like my boat, old and the motor was heavy and they reinforced it, just like I did. The cracks are in the top of the gel coat - fiberglass.

Yes, I took the plug out. Lots of water came out, maybe a half gallon. It was raining. When I came home and saw how much water was coming out of the hole just from the rain...totally acceptable amount.

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:22 pm

Nice boat Toni, have lots of fun in her and catch lots and lots of fish!!!!!!!!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:29 pm

Will do Rosann.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:57 pm

That is not much water at all, considering the weather and the boat was in the water for some cruise time. However, a crack in the transom, on a power boat is cause to take notice. At least determine why it is there. Ask the previous owners. The boat might have been backed into something, while trailering, or it could be something else.

I too have a older boat. It is 1975 model year. This boat has been used yearly. Has a 85 hp motor. Has a very thin, aluminum plate installed at the factory, where the big motor mounts on the transom. It has sat outside, under many different tarps since 1993. There are no cracks of any kind, nor need for extra plates to reinforce the transom.

Very often, a fiberglass transom, has a thick wood center. A crack often means a weakness exists. Most times it is the wood that has become water saturated and rots. Once bad enough, it weakens to the point the transom cracks. This is from the weight and extreme stress of the motor, pushing the boat through the water.

If the crack was a caulking seam, that is one thing. There is no need to re-enforce anything. Just re-caulk for water tightness. Re-enforcing prior to a larger motor swap is another reason to beef up the transom, to prevent possible transom damage.

I am fairly certain a 65 horse is not more than the maximum recommended horse power rating, given by the manufacturer. So, to large a motor for that boat can be ruled out as the cause of damage. But, having cracks in the transom, is something to not take lightly. Have it checked out. For safety's sake.

This is the very symptom the boat had, that was mentioned earlier.

It is your safety I am worried about. Not selling you a boat repair. I don't repair boats. Nor am I recommending a boat repair facility.

I hope this is nothing serious.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:09 am

WOW was away for a while >>> what's the end of the story ???

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:15 am

'OL GREY DOG wrote:WOW was away for a while >>> what's the end of the story ???
Although the motor is stable on the transom, the transom is rotten. Thanks Motoboat.
We are checking into the cheapest way to fix it.
I need to outfit it for fishing, too. I have taken the seats out to put some more space saving ones in.
Then I need a kicker bracket, downriggers, fire extinguisher, anchor, and ???