Coho Madness!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Matt
Admiral

Re: Coho Madness!!

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:18 pm

raining again now... they're gunna be out tommorrow I'd suspect.

Damn

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:01 pm

How did you guys do today? Fished the SF nooksack and spinner bite was wide open for chrome 3-5 lbrs up near the hatchery.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:06 pm

me and my dad got there friday night, blown... dropped a little saturday and kept 5 lost another6 or so, today dropped even more and started to clear up and kept 2 and I crackered 6 or 7, some people were doing really well while others were not. Anyone else go, I was the kid with the orange g loomis hat on the other side of the hatchery.
Plus were there anymore steelhead caught?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Matt wrote:How did you guys do today? Fished the SF nooksack and spinner bite was wide open for chrome 3-5 lbrs up near the hatchery.
Saturday landed 35 between 2 guys. Sunday landed 45 between 3 guys. Water was dirty saturday bite was mid morning. Cleared sunday and bite was unreal for first hour. Hooked 16 coho on first 19 casts then slow because of pressure from people until i went down to my spots and we hit 20 or so more. LOTS more bright fish then last week. High water pushed chrome in got a few 12-15lb wild bucks as well. All on eggs

Btw good job on s fork glad to hear the fish ( that made it through the gillnet mesh) are in and biting. Gotta get up there soon to check her out
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:00 pm

heres some of the weekend feesh :nemo:
Attachments
IMG_1339.JPG
IMG_1339.JPG (142.77 KiB) Viewed 2104 times

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:26 am

datsa HAWG!

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Wallace is FULL of fish but couldn't get any chromers to take the offerings today. Wish I had a boat to hit the bigger rivers. Cascade is on the list for tomorrow I thing

Seattle Pat
Angler

Post by Seattle Pat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Went to Wallace this morning, but about an hour after sunrise. Based on forum reports started with roe. Saw everybody using roe except 2 guys...they were the only 2 I saw catch anything. Once I switched from roe to corkie, I had a couple hits, but by then it was almost noon and had to head back.

An older guy caught 3 in less than an hour - had a corky on what looked like fly fishing line (thick green).

The other guy had a standard 3-way swivel with a long leader, black yarn and a corkie - he pulled out 5, one being a BIG steelhead.

It's happening, just didn't for me today - I'll be there in the morning!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:37 pm

figured id have to give this thread a lil more love! last few days have been a little lockjaw fever but the bite was fast and furious once again today and we landed 30+ suprisingly still some chromeers too
Attachments
269836_510019582344104_841969946_n.jpg
269836_510019582344104_841969946_n.jpg (227.14 KiB) Viewed 1984 times

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:25 pm

dude....where are the medalheads at? you are really disappointing me but good fish by the way

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Way to go Danny =D> ...almost came up today but with no rising water decided to stay local....should have made the drive!!! [cursing]

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:23 pm

goodtimesfishing wrote:Way to go Danny =D> ...almost came up today but with no rising water decided to stay local....should have made the drive!!! [cursing]
MUCH better bite today than we had the rest of the week, i dont know what changed their minds but they got hungry!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:25 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:dude....where are the medalheads at? you are really disappointing me but good fish by the way
im not targeting them! when guiding i gotta go for coho with sulfite cures and fish lower river, this time of year the steelhead shoot right to the hatchery, if i fished the hatch hole every morning with jigs and natural roe id get steelhead, seen one killed there every day this week, but im gonna focus on slamming coho with clients, if i ever get a day off im gonna hit the hatch hole for metal

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:07 pm

I still do not understand why people can't catch steelies with sulfites, cow steelhead seem to like sulfite eggs. just checkin to see, I am not heading up there until the first weekend of december so hearing about the fishing is almost just as good as seeing I guess.

beachbum97
Warrant Officer

Post by beachbum97 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:I still do not understand why people can't catch steelies with sulfites, cow steelhead seem to like sulfite eggs. just checkin to see, I am not heading up there until the first weekend of december so hearing about the fishing is almost just as good as seeing I guess.
I've only caught one steelhead with sulfite cures. But I use a double cure, cure eggs with sulfite, then with borax. It gets your egg to milk like a sulfite based cure but with all of the durability of a borax cured egg. Oh and when curing your roe with sulfite, drain about 1/4 of the juice, let it re-absorb then add the borax. This cure is killer on coho and steelhead. And if you're targeting steelhead specifically, use about half the amount of the sulfite cure but still enough to cover every single egg. Then you add the borax, add about 1/4 more than what you do with a normal borax cure as the egg will be wetter than what you would cure for steelhead regularly. Great cure and shhhhhhhg :-$

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:05 pm

i am confused, you say only one steelhead on sulfite cures, and then you go on to explain curing with sulfite and borax and that it is awesome for coho and steelhead. I am sure you have caught more then one steelhead? I like to cure without sulfites and then add to for coho. Good old fashion salt sugar and borax in the proper amounts.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:59 am

I just add a thin layer of borax or enough to get them to stick together than I add my boraxo fire or firecure. I actually started to do good with herring brines on my eggs for kings just have to add a lot of borax then.

beachbum97
Warrant Officer

Post by beachbum97 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:16 am

goodtimesfishing wrote:i am confused, you say only one steelhead on sulfite cures, and then you go on to explain curing with sulfite and borax and that it is awesome for coho and steelhead. I am sure you have caught more then one steelhead? I like to cure without sulfites and then add to for coho. Good old fashion salt sugar and borax in the proper amounts.
With just sulfite cures its hard to get any steely. They tend to stay away from that stuff. I double cure them as it will harden the eggs but also have the same milking capacity as a sulfite cure. Its killer. :-$ I caught the one steely about a week ago while fishing the hatchery hole on the Cascade.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:42 am

I see what you mean, makes more sense.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Steelhead with eat sulfites in certain river systems at certain times, it just takes a lot of fishing and experimenting to figure it out. A general rule i have figured out is clearer river systems, the steelies seem to stay away from sulfite, most likely because in clear water those bright cured eggs just look unnatural. Of course steel anywhere if hungry enough will take it, but ive found skagit river fish (cascade included) is not a sulfite system because it usually runs clear. Nor is the sky a good sulfite river. I have had GREAT luck on the hoh on sulfite and i think its because it always runs milky colored from the clay banks. Cowlitz steelheas are also VERY fond of sulfite. Just depends what and where your fishing but thats a general rule ive come to conclude, of course theres exceptions