Coho Madness!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Sthao92
Petty Officer

Re: Coho Madness!!

Post by Sthao92 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:01 pm

I didn't get nearly as many bobber downs or hooks up as you fishenfreak but i did nail a steelhead today and 2 hens. Total i say about 15 bobber downs and about half that in hook ups and a bunch more swing and misses. Also craziest thing happened to me today, i was reeling back from a bad cast and i watched a coho chase my eggs down and bite my eggs. Lost another steelhead as well later in the day. Keep up the good work too, i like to see fish caught the proper way.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Sthao92 wrote:I didn't get nearly as many bobber downs or hooks up as you fishenfreak but i did nail a steelhead today and 2 hens. Total i say about 15 bobber downs and about half that in hook ups and a bunch more swing and misses. Also craziest thing happened to me today, i was reeling back from a bad cast and i watched a coho chase my eggs down and bite my eggs. Lost another steelhead as well later in the day. Keep up the good work too, i like to see fish caught the proper way.

Badass! Were you fishing the hatchery hole? i was down on the second hole, the flat down there. Way to hook up on some steel! i havent targeted them, ive been fishing sulfite cures and havent fished the hatchery hole, but damn! We had the same thing man, my client reeled in and the fish chased it, i yelled quick to tell him to stop and the fish SLAMMED it right by shore!
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Sthao92
Petty Officer

Post by Sthao92 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Nice i was actually fishing on the skykomish river. I have been lookin on google maps for some new area to fish and found a good little spot that is very secluded. I didn't see one other person the whole day. I was targeting coho with sulfite cures too and was surprised when it jumped and new right away it wasn't a ho.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:02 pm

thats is how they were biting out in the skagit where i was at, drift through all of them then start reeling in and the aggressive ones will chase it almost back to the bank, pretty watching one chase it and see it pick it up and run with it right before your eyes. Is the cascade clear or colored right now?

Seattle Pat
Angler

Post by Seattle Pat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:17 am

fishenfreak wrote:
Matt wrote:My guess is that the SF Nooksack is very worthwhile right now as well.... :-$
lol honestly havent been yet, skagit before rain and cascade after have been too WAY too good, but i should prob go, although i dont think that river has any fish anymore... :-" :-"
I'm down in Seattle - thinking of hitting Prison hole or maybe Sultan today. Will check out Thomas Eddy first though. I'll post an update on the Snohomish coho run when I get back.

Seattle Pat
Angler

Post by Seattle Pat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:45 am

11:40 - back home. Checked out Thomas Eddy. Hardly any cars in the lot so we went straight up to Prison Hole. Again same thing... only 2 cars. From there we headed East all the way to Wallace river. Nothing happening there either so we worked our way back down through Sultan along the Skykomish all the way back down to the Snoqualmie.

Nothing happening anywhere. Every fisherman I talked with said they hadn't caught anything and even the people in the boats were empty handed.

I only saw one fish jump the entire morning (on the Sky). When does steelhead season start? :\

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 am

fishenfreak, what are you catching your fish on?

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:59 am

because cars are not there you proceed to the next hole?
logic?

Seattle Pat
Angler

Post by Seattle Pat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Generally speaking the best barometer for fishing is how many fishermen are out, so how many cars are parked at the general public fishing holes as well as all the secret places locals know about is always a good place to start.

We tossed the line in the Sky for a bit - we also asked all the fishermen we saw. nothing happening

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:47 pm

strider43 wrote:fishenfreak, what are you catching your fish on?
eggs, eggs and more eggs, they wont touch anything else

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

That's not quite true. While eggs work wonders, I've been nailing them on all sorts of stuff. Spinners and Dick Nites, twitching big fluffy coho jigs works. Especially when you're tired of getting sticky stinky fire cure hands if you want a break.

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:15 am

Seattle Pat wrote:Generally speaking the best barometer for fishing is how many fishermen are out, so how many cars are parked at the general public fishing holes as well as all the secret places locals know about is always a good place to start.

We tossed the line in the Sky for a bit - we also asked all the fishermen we saw. nothing happening
That's completley faulse, I fish holes all the time and people don't go there, and i still catch them, In some case's It's actually better to fish where no one else is.
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:31 am

EAmon ___hoffman123 wrote:
Seattle Pat wrote:Generally speaking the best barometer for fishing is how many fishermen are out, so how many cars are parked at the general public fishing holes as well as all the secret places locals know about is always a good place to start.

That's completley faulse, I fish holes all the time and people don't go there, and i still catch them, In some case's It's actually better to fish where no one else is.
If there are too many cars and I have the option, I will move on. My freezer is full :-$
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:31 am

Lost 3 on the Cascade yesterday afternoon, one on a spinner and 2 on eggs. The water was super clear. Started dumping cats and dogs, hung out for a bit longer then left. Should be great come Sunday. Was using light steelhead gear which wasn't giving me much of a hookset. I think I'll beef it up a bit next time. Most people I saw were walking out with fish...

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:36 am

Had a decent day today, not a 50+ day but about 40 probably, landed a huge pig and some nice fish! all eggz
Attachments
578605_507107812635281_1284781966_n.jpg
578605_507107812635281_1284781966_n.jpg (135.48 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
156453_507107869301942_215349348_n.jpg
156453_507107869301942_215349348_n.jpg (171.07 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
2082_507107979301931_1896002028_n.jpg
2082_507107979301931_1896002028_n.jpg (186.62 KiB) Viewed 2077 times

beachbum97
Warrant Officer

Post by beachbum97 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:26 pm

So the Cascade cleared a little? I was there last weekend and it was raining hard as eff. It was muddy, but we had a total of 17 or 19 bobber downs. I'll be fishing there next weekend as well.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:38 pm

beachbum97 wrote:So the Cascade cleared a little? I was there last weekend and it was raining hard as eff. It was muddy, but we had a total of 17 or 19 bobber downs. I'll be fishing there next weekend as well.
cleared yesterday, completely blew the F out again today

beachbum97
Warrant Officer

Post by beachbum97 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:41 am

fishenfreak wrote:
beachbum97 wrote:So the Cascade cleared a little? I was there last weekend and it was raining hard as eff. It was muddy, but we had a total of 17 or 19 bobber downs. I'll be fishing there next weekend as well.
cleared yesterday, completely blew the F out again today
You think it would get into shape by next weekend? It looks like more rain except Wednesday.

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:09 pm

I would think it should be clear enough to fish by tomorrow, along with the Wallace. Those smaller rivers clear quick, unless there is some sort of slide upstream...........

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:43 pm

3footvis wrote:I would think it should be clear enough to fish by tomorrow, along with the Wallace. Those smaller rivers clear quick, unless there is some sort of slide upstream...........
was high and dirty today but still caught good number of fish right next to shore with big egg clumps