Buzz Bombs for leaping coho

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Brat Bonker
Admiral

Buzz Bombs for leaping coho

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:19 pm

So I just got back home from fishing off the beach by a local creek and probally saw atleast 100 chromers jump within an hour all within casting range and i tried just about every technique in the book but no hits. I was just wondering what are some good color buzz Bombs are good for shallow water leaping coho or any other lure I should try.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Buzz Bombs for leaping coho

Post by natetreat » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Try a crippled herring in green, 1/2 ounce. That's my go to jig for the sound.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:06 pm

I've got em off the beach with both all pink, white w/green stripe and white w/pink stripe. I prefer the 3-4" instead of the littler ones. Cast, wait 1 -2 seconds, then jig 2', reel, jig 2' reel, repeat.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Rotator by Deep Stinger...in chartreause is what just about everyone is using in my neck of the woods. A mini hoochie is often added. I like the small size. Pink bb is also producing. If there is a current try drifting stee-lee spoon in pink or silver. For shallow water the smaller sizes are more workable for me.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:23 pm

thanks guys I don't know if anyone has fished dyes inlet but that is where I am at and these fish have a serious case of the lock jaws, anyone try dick nites or even vibrax or blue fox spoons.

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Have seen those spinners work on more than a few occasions.........

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 pm

If these coho are staged near a net pen or in their home estuary they are going to be difficult to get to bite with any regularity. Around the tide changes they will often turn on for a few minutes but jumpers that are near home are very difficult. Think small in your offerings with green and pink being the usuals. Don't throw blindly into a school. Try to see which direction they are moving and either lead them a bit or to the side. Coho jumpers in staging areas are really lock jawed most of the time. When they are migrating it is a different story. Hundreds of them have been caught in Admirality Inlet from the beach this year. The lure chuckers have been using 2-1/2" Buzz Bombs and 2" or 2-1/2" Rotators (wannabes) with very good success. Of course those of us who are herring chokers have really put up the numbers and have converted a lot of lead throwers to float/herring.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:30 am

Which area were you fishing? I'm heading back to Bremerton to visit my parents this weekend so I might try to see if my friend wants to head out one of the mornings or tide changes and fish.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:01 am

float and herring might work, a lot of people use eggs under a bobber as well out there and wolverine made a good point about staging coho, so I should fish during tidal change and not high slack?

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:13 am

Yeah I was thinking bobber/eggs too when I heard you didn't catch anything on the buzzbombs. I'll probably bring the arsenal and try it all.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:51 am

I throw 2 to 3 hoochie legs on my buzz bomb hook to give it more swim action..

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:56 pm

the legs? like pluck the rubber strands and put them on your hook?

beachbum97
Warrant Officer

Post by beachbum97 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:33 pm

How would you fish herring under a bobber? I cut-plug it and retrieve dead slow for slow spin.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:21 pm

beachbum97 wrote:How would you fish herring under a bobber? I cut-plug it and retrieve dead slow for slow spin.
Back in the day I fished off the jetty at Ilwaco. We would run a float with 2 oz in line weight to a whole herring hooked through the mouth/nose and side of the body. Use a slip knoted tandem hook leader and have it about 6 ft deep (still cast-able). Fling it out and let it drift with the current, mending the line. Very effective!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:07 pm

goonatic wrote:the legs? like pluck the rubber strands and put them on your hook?
exactly!!

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:11 pm

hmmm, ive put pink crappie tubes on my buzz bomb and spoon hooks and it was a nice change compared to the million identical pink buzz bombs on the dock lol ive seen some people even put hoochies on the buzz bomb itself! make a swimbait looking retrieve. any ever try pink crankbaits for the humpies?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Green ,blue,red for Coho in buzz bombs.JMO