oh yeah tahuya and dewatto is open on monday!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BlakeP
Commander

Re: oh yeah tahuya and dewatto is open on monday!

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:56 pm

How long did it take to get two? And how big?

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:56 pm

dude try beads those hood canal silvers go crazy over them no joke, just your basic drift set up just use a 8mm red or glow bead

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Major Backlash wrote:Hi folks...

New to WA and Salt & River fishing. But I did spend a day on the Rogue (Oregon) PLUNKING with Spin Glo. Is that a popular way to fish the rivers around here? Also if ya know, I live in Gig Harbor... what river (s) are close to me for Salmon / Trout fishing?

Thanks
Maj. Backlash

im not too sure about gig harbor area. ive never plunked but the two mason co. rivers are open this month. tahuya is your best bet imo anyways. i have no interest in dewatto anymore because tahuya river is full of em'. park at the north shore bridge and walk the trail up about almost a mile and its nothing but fish everywhere. i go when the tide is going out. good luck. oh and i didnt see a single seal. thats a good thing but i was hoping to see some this year to.. :-" well you know..

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:03 pm

BlakeP wrote:How long did it take to get two? And how big?
darn i have to work saturday. id say good luck but you dont need it right now at tahuya the ho's are really full and angry right now!

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:06 pm

outbreed360 wrote:
darn i have to work saturday. id say good luck but you dont need it right now at tahuya the ho's are really full and angry right now!
Haha yeah, so doesn't take much work to get them out there? Not very spooked?

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:07 pm

it took me a couple of hours, but i was in my favorite hole the whole time. i saww so many everywhere but i go to my go to hole. i say tons of huge fish. tahuya is know for pigs. mine were about quill size like 6 to 8 lbs. i lost a couple of large ones though, id say 10lbs easy. i was using my fenwick little trout pole because the river is so small i was babying them in.

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 pm

BlakeP wrote:
outbreed360 wrote:
Haha yeah, so doesn't take much work to get them out there? Not very spooked?

yes and no. like i was saying eariler 5 years ago it was just like this year, they are angry! the past 4 years its been spooky and i would have to work and then the tide comes up and if you dont move out quickly you can get stuck in the river. the tide comes up so quickly there and next thing you know its full of water. it can get kinda scary for such a small river.

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:dude try beads those hood canal silvers go crazy over them no joke, just your basic drift set up just use a 8mm red or glow bead
i do have beads but they just dont seem right to me but im from the time when everyone used the beau mac cheater specials everywhere soo its corkies for me. i might give some beads a shot though. i have tons of them and i use small beads like 6mm

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 pm

outbreed360 wrote:
it took me a couple of hours, but i was in my favorite hole the whole time. i saww so many everywhere but i go to my go to hole. i say tons of huge fish. tahuya is know for pigs. mine were about quill size like 6 to 8 lbs. i lost a couple of large ones though, id say 10lbs easy. i was using my fenwick little trout pole because the river is so small i was babying them in.
Okay, well i mostly plan on probably releasing more than i keep. But my goal is to get my grandpa(who i live with...) a coho over 8lbs(his biggest so far) Also need a place to fish for a few weeks. Sounds like a good place. Would 8lb leaders be too light? Cause thats what i use for coho mostly. Also, do you need waders out there? Cause that is something i don't have yet...

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:22 pm

no you dont really need waders but thell help to get to the good spots. 8lbs is what ill use on a little bigger, less snaggy rivers like the quill but i go 10lbs there just because its full of snaggy spots like downed logs and such. that area was a logging area years ago. you take the old rail road up and you come to about 4 large fields that used to be train turnarounds.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:26 pm

outbreed360 wrote:no you dont really need waders but thell help to get to the good spots. 8lbs is what ill use on a little bigger, less snaggy rivers like the quill but i go 10lbs there just because its full of snaggy spots like downed logs and such. that area was a logging area years ago. you take the old rail road up and you come to about 4 large fields that used to be train turnarounds.
Okay, well i have rubber boots that i can hike about 6-12 inches of water in. Would that be okay to atleast find a few good spots? Well i can't really get anything else at the moment, but i have 10lb mainline, and maxima 8lb is incredibly strong.

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:29 pm

yea that should be okay at low tide. i use izor and thats incredibly strong stuff but i dont take any chances at tahuya. really snaggy river. when i went on monday i didnt even use waders but i still got my feet wet.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:33 pm

outbreed360 wrote:yea that should be okay at low tide. i use izor and thats increadably strong stuff but i dont take any chances at tahuya. really snaggy river. when i went on monday i didnt even use waders but i still got my feet wet.
At low tide? Okay, well i planned on getting out there by 8 or so but might have to wait a little bit then. I agree on izor, i only have that in 15lb right now. When i use it though i always use maxima for leaders, mainly cause maxima has small spools of line for leaders.

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:35 pm

8oclock should be fine i was just saying that tahuya fills up quickly and before your know it your chest deep in water at some spots.
Last edited by outbreed360 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:37 pm

outbreed360 wrote:8oclock should be fine i was just saying that tahuya fills up quickly and before you know it you chest deep in water at some spots.
Oh, okay. Well i'll be careful. Probably not going to hike too far either, just till a spot a good number of fish in a hole.

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:40 pm

BlakeP wrote:
outbreed360 wrote:8oclock should be fine i was just saying that tahuya fills up quickly and before you know it you chest deep in water at some spots.
Oh, okay. Well i'll be careful. Probably not going to hike too far either, just till a spot a good number of fish in a hole.

well you can only go about a mile up river to the steel bridge, youll find plenty of good spots with tons of em' in there this year. youll have to cut through the trees in most spots. i used to park up at the high road so you dont have to walk that far but i find the longer walk gives me more holes.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:42 pm

outbreed360 wrote:
BlakeP wrote:

well you can only go about a mile up river to the steel bridge, youll find plenty of good spots with tons of em' in there this year. youll have to cut through the trees in most spots. i used to park up at the high road are so you dont have to walk that far but i find the longer walk gives me more holes.
So is it a trail along the river, with paths leading down to the river? Don't really know what to expect.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:43 pm

and when the tides come in hit up the mouth of the dewatto for some famous lunker coho, buzz bombs, spinners, cut plug and beads.
I did not know that was an old train track for logging, I guess I have not been over there for years as well haha, funny thing is that I have only been there 3 times and all three time there has been loads of fish, is there less pressure on it than the dewatto.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:and when the tides come in hit up the mouth of the dewatto for some famous lunker coho, buzz bombs, spinners, cut plug and beads.
I did not know that was an old train track for logging, I guess I have not been over there for years as well haha, funny thing is that I have only been there 3 times and all three time there has been loads of fish, is there less pressure on it than the dewatto.
Would do that sometime, but all i have right now is tackle for river fishing, and the mouth would be saltwater right? Don't like using my rod and reel in salt, cause it always ruins them even if i wash the rod and reel off.

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:47 pm

blake,
okay,, when you get to north shore bridge you park on the left side where there is plenty of parking for the most part. theres a open area further to the left of the parking area with a heli pad, or was one once i havent looked in years. you cross the street and there will be a gated road that you can walk past the gate and up to the river. try google maps with the sat view and get a good idea of what to expect. its very easy to find the road, its not a trail its an old railway now a service road. youll be able to find it easy, its right across the street from where youll park. its a no brainer kind of place.
Last edited by outbreed360 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.