Fish Finder for Ice Fishing

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kfedka
Commander

Fish Finder for Ice Fishing

Post by Kfedka » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:54 am

So my Eagle 320c arrived. I do plan on walleye fishing during the winter on the boat, but on those days when I'm not on the boat I will be ice fishing.

There is a video on youtube on how to make a transducer portable for ice fishing Link

Then there is this video, notice how the transducer is connected to the bar, this would be a great way to search for panfish when fishing in shallow parts of lakes. Kind of like side imaging. Link

What would be a good battery to use for portability to power the fish finder? And what are you experiences with fish finders for ice fishing and any tips. Thanks.

G-Man
Admiral

RE:Fish Finder for Ice Fishing

Post by G-Man » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:55 am

I'll offer the same suggestion that I gave Quad when he was looking to add a smaller battery to his craft, go with a sealed lead acid like this one: http://www.apexbattery.com/panasonic-lc ... eries.html As the battery is sealed you don't have to worry about keeping it upright and leaking, plus they come in all different sizes and shapes. Fry's carries a wide selection and there are other distributors around the Puget Sound region as well, just need to do a little searching on the web. Many are used in computer UPSs (un-interruptible power supplies) or some type of battery back-up system.

The amp hour rating is something that you'll have to work out based on the draw of the unit. The current draw should be listed in the manual somewhere. Take the current draw and divide it into the amp hour rating of the battery and you'll have an estimate of how long the battery will power the device. So as an example, your sonar draws 500ma (.5 amps) of power and the battery has a 7 amp hour rating, you can expect about 14 hours of operation on a fully charged battery.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:54 am

I went bass fishing earlier this summer. I saw a guy with a underwater camera. He was looking in the bottom area for bass holdup spots. It was awesome working device. I thought at that time how nice that would be for icefishig,crabbing,and all around.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

BMGW
Petty Officer

Post by BMGW » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Vexilar, Vexilar, and if you don't like them then any of the other copies. Let me know when your ready to buy! See you on the ice in a few days..

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Garmin Fishfinder 140 B/W Lcd W/Tm Ducer
looking at this one for about $110, ship incl. ebay and amazon.com any thoughts,,,, thinking of portable, I'll manufacture something so it's easy to use in car top boat or ice fishing sled.... I looked at ones that are sold portable and looked like tiny screens/no options to me for inflated price. this gf140 b/w has selectable wide or narrow cone, 4.7" screen, ???????????
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm not sure about costs of batteries g-man, I''l keep your battery reccomend in mind and compare to motorcycle battery, the spill factor is big though so I'll check prices, the bat you reccomend is worth a little extra..

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:04 pm

damn! that bat is inexpensive at under $20 THANKS G-Man!!!!!!!!!!!

Kfedka
Commander

Re: Fish Finder for Ice Fishing

Post by Kfedka » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Bringing up an old topic. Don't have much interest in removing the mounted transducer from the boat. Will a this be suffecient to go mobile for ice fishing with the fish finder? http://www.shopepal.com/p-1029-lowrance ... agpspn=pla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are the original specs of the fish finder. http://www.eaglenav.com/Products/Fishfi ... Easy-320C/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks.