Coho Madness!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Chromer
Petty Officer

Re: Coho Madness!!

Post by Chromer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm

you listen to J. Cole yet??? :)

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:36 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:I thought it was no head like steelhead,nice catch though, I already have 30 of those.
bonker yo wood of had more if you and you dad could keep them ondahook [rolleyes] =D>
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:42 pm

tell me about, there has been days that I have hooked 20+ on the quil and could not land a single fish, maybe I should read that article by natetreat about hook sets haha, sometimes I could use a whole book haha, small river it is hard and all with the branches and stuff.

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:54 pm

true in them small stream they go bonkers and hard to land #-o
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:00 am

Coho are IN! Went targeting coho on the skagit for the FIRST time this year today, me and a buddy, scouted the river, went 4/14 on coho on eggs, slayed these chromers, and even picked up a nice early steelhead to add to the limit. walked out with 5 fish on the stringer and 14 fish on the line at 8:30 am, call me up book a trip and get some CHROME COHO!!! PS they are reallly hungry right now for eggs early in the morning
Attachments
IMG_9675.jpg
IMG_9675.jpg (119.43 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
IMG_0732.jpg
IMG_0732.jpg (100.12 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
IMG_0745.jpg
IMG_0745.jpg (166.52 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
Last edited by RiverChromeGS on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:07 am

Nice fish! I'm thinking of fishing around there at the start of next month. Fish somewhere new for once.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:15 am

kick arse!!!!

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:30 am

Awesome! Heading to the skagit right now. hopefully we find some fish!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:41 am

Yummy!!!!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:12 pm

good looking toads plus a bonus beautiful metal. Makes for a damn fine day. I have never thought about fishing the Skagit since I live down south. Looking at the map I see a ton of tribs after it splits south of Mt Vernon... one question where in the world would I go for first time? Person can get all sorts of a$$ backwards turned around in all of that.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:53 pm

chrome_chasin wrote:good looking toads plus a bonus beautiful metal. Makes for a damn fine day. I have never thought about fishing the Skagit since I live down south. Looking at the map I see a ton of tribs after it splits south of Mt Vernon... one question where in the world would I go for first time? Person can get all sorts of a$$ backwards turned around in all of that.
theres soooo many places to try. Fishing off the rocks below gardner st boat launch is productive for me this time of year, below the mouth of the cascade has fish right now, theyre a little picky but theyre in, guys in sled are getting um south of mt vernon, just gotta find fish in the right place at the right time, sorta like I did today

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Chromer
Petty Officer

Post by Chromer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:29 pm

South skagit highway has fish all up and down it. Hit my usual spot this morning, and hit one, but my knot broke as i set the hook! frustrating, but they were thicker than they have been! nice job ff. i'm going to be hitting the cascade this saturday. let me know if you make the trip

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:34 am

Chromer wrote:South skagit highway has fish all up and down it. Hit my usual spot this morning, and hit one, but my knot broke as i set the hook! frustrating, but they were thicker than they have been! nice job ff. i'm going to be hitting the cascade this saturday. let me know if you make the trip
i drove by the cascade and looked in hatchery hole and under bridge, saw like 10 dark fish but it is LOWWWWWW theres literally no possible way for the poor coho to make it in, but if you hit it let me know by PM if you hit fish id like to know if you find any, cannot WAIT for rain, my god cascade will flood with fish then.

SOOOO buddy took his sled out today, 4 of us went up and fished a section of river he told me not to tell anyone so its a secret sorry (but by the 2 or 3 darker fish i guess you can figure im not in the lower river [tongue] ) but we hammered the coho, 8 to the boat by 10am for the limit. 3 on hardware, rest on bobber egg, broke 2 off, lost 3 more, rollers all over, one hole only, the other runs we fished were empty, i guess in low water they all bunch up in deepest holes to feel safer, bite was OFF by 9am, they got scared with sun, heres a pic we took!
Attachments
IMG_7352.jpg
IMG_7352.jpg (195.1 KiB) Viewed 1825 times

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:03 pm

I wouldnt mind tearing into that bottom piggie!!! good looking fish. All of these pics has me itching to point the truck north this weekend.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 pm

ahhh no steelhead [biggrin] thanks for the tips now I know where to concentrate more on this weekend. Are you bobber dogging those eggs like usual or using split shot?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:41 pm

I know chrome- the bottom one was a beautiful fish, short, fat, probably low teenager. Ive been using split shot bonker, water is so low i can barely get a drift bobber dogging, so ive been short floating with a few pieces of hollow lead pinched on leader! Fire cure and regular borax both work, once u hit one or 2, switch cures, it usually tricks um

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:59 pm

thanks yeah I was going to try that, are the fish line shy right now, skagit fish normally are not line shy but then again I have never fished it for silvers in low water. What are some good colors of spinners up there I have only had any real success with red or all silver spinners and a orange stee-lee. robally going to throw the kitchen sink at them this weekend I wish there were more fish in the cascade, that is where I can do some damage.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:thanks yeah I was going to try that, are the fish line shy right now, skagit fish normally are not line shy but then again I have never fished it for silvers in low water. What are some good colors of spinners up there I have only had any real success with red or all silver spinners and a orange stee-lee. robally going to throw the kitchen sink at them this weekend I wish there were more fish in the cascade, that is where I can do some damage.
yea the cascade gets stacked, but its like at 280 cfs its lower than ive ever seen it, that first shot of shallow water at the mouth is pretty much impassible, i cannot wait for rain man. Skagit silvers like small stuff, ive done most of my hardware skagit fishing with dick nites in the medium size in red/white and chartreuse/silver. Vibrax will work and too. bottom line chartreuse and red and the best colors IMO and all silver or 50/50 is also deeadly. BC STEELS!

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:58 am

thanks man I have witness first hand how good red spinners are [drool] Might even take out my steelhead float rod too to dust off the cob webs and try for an early winter or something with jigs haha if there is one there are more.
Those BC steel spoons are nice, first cast ever with one got me a big summer run on the cow and then 2 cast later I lost it in some rocks or something, I was seriously considering swimming after it ](*,)

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:24 am

Brat Bonker wrote:thanks man I have witness first hand how good red spinners are [drool] Might even take out my steelhead float rod too to dust off the cob webs and try for an early winter or something with jigs haha if there is one there are more.
Those BC steel spoons are nice, first cast ever with one got me a big summer run on the cow and then 2 cast later I lost it in some rocks or something, I was seriously considering swimming after it ](*,)
I was looking at the bc steel spoons at outdoor emporium /sportco but at $9 bucks each I decided not to get them. I wasz thinking that would piss me off if I lost a few back to back. You have alot of luck with them ?