Chum salmon

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fisherman_max
Commander

RE:Chum salmon

Post by Fisherman_max » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:46 pm

so were can i go and catch me up some silvers real quik and what should i use?
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Fisherman_max wrote:so were can i go and catch me up some silvers real quik and what should i use?
I know that the green and the snoho are kicking out some good numbers of silvers. The bait that I keep on hearing about is egg clusters, but havnt done too well on them. Size 3 or 4 blue foxes. Corkies and yarn

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:10 pm

Fisherman_max wrote:so were can i go and catch me up some silvers real quik and what should i use?
Why not try the Lewis River or any of its forks?
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 am

I am going to the hoods canal hatchery tiss weekend and Iam wondering if it will be any good, and what I should use. Slip float and a herring, or buzz bombs.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:55 pm

I notice that a lot of the tackle stores I go to have a wide selection of buzz bombs, and they are all out of many of them. How do you use those things and keep them from getting snagged with that big treble hook? I cut off my trebles and use siwash so I don't lose so many spoons and spinners.
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:16 pm

noclothes1 wrote:I notice that a lot of the tackle stores I go to have a wide selection of buzz bombs, and they are all out of many of them. How do you use those things and keep them from getting snagged with that big treble hook? I cut off my trebles and use siwash so I don't lose so many spoons and spinners.
They are very easy to lose and are pretty expensive as well. The only time I really use the are from piers. Des Moines pier mostly. Out in boats is a good place as well but I mostly troll out in a boat. Even down at Spokane street a lot get lost. Then while river fishing there is too many other more productive lures, or at least in my opinion. But I have found quite a few buzz bombs during low tide on the green. I have found that I like darts more than buzz bombs. While jigging buzz bombs the lead part will fall a lot quicker than the hook and this is when you get most of your hits which results in a lot of missed bites. But with darts the hook is connected right to the lead body. If you ever have this problem then you can tie a swivel a couple inches above the the lead part. This way when the lead is dropping/fluttering it keeps it close to the hook which will result in more hook ups. A lot of places wont allow treble hooks, so I would recommend using treble hooks where it is allowed. I fished Des Moines pier almost everyday last year and got really familiar with the depth. I lost a bunch at the begging but got it down pretty good as the season went on. As far as buzz bomb colors I would say the all white with the green, pink, or blue stripe going down the middle or the army truck worked best for me. I never caught a thing on bright colors yellow, orange, chartreuse BTW

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:45 pm

gpc wrote:
I know that the green and the snoho are kicking out some good numbers of silvers. The bait that I keep on hearing about is egg clusters, but havnt done too well on them. Size 3 or 4 blue foxes. Corkies and yarn
The blue foxes are great for silvers I found the best color blue foxes are the brass ones.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:15 pm

what works good on chum and what are the most eastern point u can catch them?
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:28 pm

They won't run to spokane...
Cerise jigs, corkies and yarn, those work well,
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:38 pm

i didnt figure they would go this far i have google map if u could tell like a bay or something to search for that would be cool

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:41 pm

They probably run up the Columbia to some tributaries but I'm not sure how close those tribs would come to Spokane..

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:49 pm

travislikesfishing wrote:what works good on chum and what are the most eastern point u can catch them?
I read that Chum salmon out of all the salmon, spawn not that far up the rivers and creeks and their fry spend the shortest time in freshwater.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

EdmondsBassMan
Warrant Officer

Post by EdmondsBassMan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:50 pm

Do they(Chum) run in the Snohomish,Skykomish rivers?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WORK IS FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH!

EdmondsBassman AKA Jerz Jay

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:55 pm

Do they go through the Puyallup to the Carbon?
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

LM
Petty Officer

Post by LM » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:00 pm

used a orange dick nite in the green river and got one
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silent Angler
Petty Officer

Post by Silent Angler » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:13 am

i went to hoodsport hatchery last year and i had the time of my life...caught many chums probably 15+...
you could basically throw anything you like because there was a large school of chum swimming around our wading legs! i just a simple corky and yarn pattern.

the color isn't the factor because i saw all the anglers throwing all the different colors and still hook 'em all up! the charteuse and hot red are the popular color.

and guess what, the hoodsport chum should be pulling in right now and i am gonna to check it out next week for a truly action-packed fishing! i will try to find a webpage or phone number for hoodsport hatchery update.

so long.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing is the life.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:12 am

Yes Edmonds they will run up the Snoh and Sky

LM
Petty Officer

Post by LM » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:06 pm

Varied fishing techniques are used in Hood Canal and other near-shore areas, including drift bobber and yarn, flies, spoons, and spinners. The herring and float technique described above has proven particularly effective. For more detailed information on a variety of near-shore fishing techniques see "Chum City", an article by Tony Dunnington in the October/November 1999 Salmon Trout Steelheader Magazine.

Most of this fishing will take place near the Hood Canal Hatchery at Finch Creek. There is a closure at the entrance of the hatchery, so be sure to read & understand it's boundaries. The term bank fishing here may be misleading as you really need chest waders. Another spot is in the Skokomish River east of Hiway 101. Many fishermen here will drift eggs or yarn & red Corkies. Others use corkies and yarn soaked in shrimp oil, sand shrimp, brass spoons, and the like. Some will just use 1/0 hooks and green and /or chartreuse yarn. Chum are not picky and they are super aggressive fish. Once you find them, it is usually not a matter of what they "will" bite on but finding something they "won't" bite on

There is another place you can bank fish also, it is called Entai Creek, it is south of Potlatch State Park. You'll see lots of cars parked there. What most people here use it seems, is a black corkie and green or chartreuse yarn. Some fishermen will use flies and spinners. And the snaggers like buzz bombs!!. There are places along the lower canal where you will see a school of them jumping and fining from along the road, you can stop and fish there also.

In freshwater chums are not that willing to hit lures. Sometimes pulling plugs, straight or with a wrap can be the ticket, but usually they have to be very fresh fish.

One successful angler advises that his two best tidewater/river baits seem to be an orange corky with a bit of green yarn, fished as you would steelhead or a pink/white jig under a float.

Jig fishing is another method, use a hot pink, purple and orange, hot green, under a float should do fine, however if things get tough & you don't hook one for a half hour, add some prawn. In the small rivers jigs seem to be very effective.

These areas are sometimes called "Combat fisheries" as they are usually very crowded, & if you don't tie your fish to your belt, they may disappear by the next time you look. You really do not need explicit directions, as when the fish are in, just look for lots of cars parked along the road & fishermen on the banks or in the water.

As with most fish, fresh rain and therefore higher river water cranks up their bite potential.

Care of the Fish After Landing- These fish are not as firm a fleshed as Chinook or Coho, prime saltwater caught fish are fine table fare. As the spawning season approaches they start to darken up, but when caught in saltwater they are usually in good enough condition to be well worth taking home. Most of the undesirable "dark" fish by some fisherman's standards will be taken after they have entered the river mouths.

Ideally, you should immediately bleed them by cutting the gills. Then, it is best to ice them down as soon as possible. They are excellent this time of the year when Bar-B-Q'ed, or smoked.

Hoodsport hatchery phone 360-877-5222

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:08 pm

are there any type of chum u have to throw back?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:41 pm

In the F&H news for WA state they are doing a 2 part chum fishing series. This issue is how to catch chum in the saltwater and the next issue is how to catch chum in the rivers. They estimate the run at 1.5 million chums this year.

I was down at the spokane street fishing pier and we saw around 30 or so chums swimming by. They are still in very good shape, all silver.