Sammamish Kings

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
RC
Angler

Sammamish Kings

Post by RC » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:10 am

Has anyone got reports on Lk. Sammamish King fishing this year.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Sammamish Kings

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:15 am

I was out doing some other fishing but didn't see any boated. As usual a lot of fishing and not much catching.... All are boots anyway.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:14 pm

I was out there yesterday morning and this morning.
I saw a handful of boats attempting to fish from the kings near the mouth of the river.

Today, I was curious and drove through the area with sonar. Didn't see any light up in that area. Saw 4 boats today circling the area.

There's a bunch of trout and kokanee there though. See them jumping all over the place.

Chucksrage
Petty Officer

Post by Chucksrage » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:26 pm

I fished it 2 weeks ago with a friend and we got a 15lb and 19 lb hen, fished it this past saturday and got a 25lb buck.

Are you fishing down by the slough or up by the creek? we fished off the mouth of the creek, dodgers and 18 inch leader with 2 red hooks
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Just a reminder for everyone fishing Sammamish. Even thought you can see the Kokes jumping all over the place, they are protected. The Kokes in Sammamish are a native run and almost wiped out due to over fishing and loss of spawning grounds. They're on the comeback but lets be careful, troll fast. They won't hit yor gear if you're over 2 mph. Every Koke you catch by accident will die, just the way it is. Be careful, go fast!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:59 pm

I second the speed we released all the cutts we caught last week, i was shocked i didnt get one over 18" i firmly believe the regs will change on that lake within a few years. As for the kings they should open up above the 520 on lake WA and give us a chance to catch them while they bright. I am not a lover of preaching rules but i think your supposed to be 100' of the creek if your fishing for kings. Good luck out there!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:14 pm

I can tell you that at the ballard locks currently, the Kings are out numbering the Coho, 2:1, and they are THICK.

Chumknuckle
Angler

Post by Chumknuckle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:05 am

I hadn't been on the Sammamish in 10 years at least so I decided to take my kayak out there with my trout gear on saturday. I anchored up in 50 feet of water about 200 yards off the mouth of the creek on the south end and there were salmon EVERYWHERE, massive lunkers too. That was the fist time I've ever seen them fly out of the water in the middle of the day like that. I really regretted not bringing my heavy gear. Anyone ever land a 20 pound fish in a kayak? Seems challenging.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 am

If you have the proper gear it isn't an issue, though you might have some explaining to do to a WDFW officer if the fish drags you inside the "no salmon fishing perimeter." I've seen a person do well fishing from a float tube and jigging a buzz bomb. I've also seen a a few idiots snagging fish with jigs on trout gear, which is about the worst case scenario possible. A large foul hooked king on trout tackle isn't coming to the boat alive and in a crowd will cause all kinds of chaos.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:02 pm

I was out on Sammamish this morning. Only a few boats were out that I saw. Also, only a couple of pleasure boaters too, which was nice.