Skok-chat

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jhuynh2
Petty Officer

Re: Skok-chat

Post by Jhuynh2 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:20 pm

the skok closes on the 5th for the lower river and opens on the 16th. is anyone fishing the re-opening or wil the run be over?

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:
OFFDAAHOOK wrote:dere are loop hole in da reg, 2 fish in da mouf must be kept..just tighten drag all daway snap, oops dere go da fish #-o no law against that haha
They actually want you to do that for the natives to lower the risk of mortallity instead of yarding the fish up the sandy beach and releasin it half dead.

Actually they (enforcement/those setting regs) IMO want you to retain your 2 and stop fishing so you aren't hooking into (and then purposefully breaking off in ODH's example) 30 or 50 fish or whatever and vastly increasing mortality rates although breaking them off in the water is obviously better than landing them.

Still, hooking a bunch of fish and bringing it near then snapping it off so you can continue fishing will just up the mortality rate of the fish in the system.

Why would anyone do that with our fragile salmon runs? ](*,) [-X

If someone wanted to go and hook a bunch of fish just for the fight I'd suggest targeting species under less risk or that are invasive (like carp or squawfish or something). Thye actually both put up good fights for their sizes.

Why in the world someone would try to take advantage of the law and disregard the spirit of the law on a species as revered as salmon or steelhead (even if they are hatchery fish) is beyond me. [thumbdn]

These fish have enough battles to overcome in keeping up their populations.

Just my opinion. Good luck to all on the water and think of the future as much as you do the present. [thumbsup]

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:23 pm

knotabassturd wrote:

Actually they (enforcement/those setting regs) IMO want you to retain your 2 and stop fishing so you aren't hooking into (and then purposefully breaking off in ODH's example) 30 or 50 fish or whatever and vastly increasing mortality rates although breaking them off in the water is obviously better than landing them.

Still, hooking a bunch of fish and bringing it near then snapping it off so you can continue fishing will just up the mortality rate of the fish in the system.

Why would anyone do that with our fragile salmon runs? ](*,) [-X

If someone wanted to go and hook a bunch of fish just for the fight I'd suggest targeting species under less risk or that are invasive (like carp or squawfish or something). Thye actually both put up good fights for their sizes.

Why in the world someone would try to take advantage of the law and disregard the spirit of the law on a species as revered as salmon or steelhead (even if they are hatchery fish) is beyond me. [thumbdn]

These fish have enough battles to overcome in keeping up their populations.

Just my opinion. Good luck to all on the water and think of the future as much as you do the present. [thumbsup]
+1 [thumbup]

R.Ton
Petty Officer

Post by R.Ton » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:33 pm

+a jillion. best post i've read on here. some guys just dont give a shat. but there are eyes in da woods always watching. cant wait til that culprit gets his comin.

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:57 pm

how does tighting da drag and breaking da leader increase mortality :scratch: fishin must be really slow :tongue:
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:34 pm

OFFDAAHOOK wrote:how does tighting da drag and breaking da leader increase mortality :scratch: fishin must be really slow :tongue:

Ok I bit. But you foulhooked me.
Others are probably smarter than I and refrain.

Look I know you know this but clearly hooking 30 fish and breaking off 28 of them is going to have a higher mortality rate on those 30 fish than hooking and landing 2 fish and stopping fishing.

In both cases obviously we know there's 100% mortality on the 2 retained fish.

On the remaining 28 ,it's easy...

Obviously hooked and played fish have a higher mortality rate than fish that never get hooked.

And yes, fishing is very slow for me.
I haven't been out this year at all for salmon. Zero times.

Like you, I've fished (and crabbed) off Pacifica pier (no big stripers though).
I've fished many states and many waters.
You have too and clearly have a lot of experience.

That's one reason I was dismayed to see you mention the idea (and now apparently trying to defend?) hooking multiple fish and purposefully breaking them off after fighting them just so you can continue to fish a fishery that tries to limit this practice by forcing anglers to retain legally caught fish.

BTW-How's the sunset by Oceana High School off Palome Ave?

Never mind, I have better things to do.
But please consider the spirit of the law with these regulations in the future if I can persuade you at all. [thumbsup]

There are a LOT of good anglers/people on this site and I'd hate to see them be led astray.

Good luck all the same on the water.

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:49 pm

im gonna quit fishin for a while its getting boring ..instead of fishing every morn b4 work and limiting out everytime im just gonna get my full sleep. :tongue:
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:13 pm

ha ha lol odh your cool man

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Jhuynh2 wrote:the skok closes on the 5th for the lower river and opens on the 16th. is anyone fishing the re-opening or wil the run be over?

Ill fish it a few times for silvers here and there, but by then one of my other favorite rivers open. I aint telling anyone
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:15 pm

being R.ton was originally correct I did not realize catching and releasing a fish was Illegal as I do not release a fish I can keep I will admit I did over look that part of the regs due I was not planning to release any fish i could keep. for that I will Apologize for the added drama, and also Apologize to R.ton and the rest of you all that Posted on this Thread!

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:28 pm

dicinu- We've all been in those shoes LOL :-" ](*,) Actually in many waters it would be fine to do that but in the case of the Skok specifically it isn't allowed. No big deal and thanx for bringing some pelasant air into things =D> Continued good luck on the water. :cheers:

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:07 pm

dicinu no need to apoligise brother i see people do 10x whorse ..at least you fishing and havin fun is all dat matter. i personally think that laws dumb but o well it is what it is..all this talkins depressing i think im gonna go take it out on some summer steelhat later..tight lines
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Bodofish wrote:WA, WA, WAAAA, WA, WA, WA, WA, WA, WAAAAA, WA.
sorry but i actually took the time to read the posts here, and this is my favorite one of um all! HAHA bodo good call yall need to stop WHINING about some stupid rule on the freakin skokomish river were not talking wild steelhead or something here WHO CARES 3/4 of the people are snagging as hard as possible in this river and your gonna whine about a guy who let a fish go? COME onnnnnnn =;

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:14 pm

this whole thread Image

:pirat:

R.Ton
Petty Officer

Post by R.Ton » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:18 am

fishenfreak wrote:
Bodofish wrote:WA, WA, WAAAA, WA, WA, WA, WA, WA, WAAAAA, WA.
sorry but i actually took the time to read the posts here, and this is my favorite one of um all! HAHA bodo good call yall need to stop WHINING about some stupid rule on the freakin skokomish river were not talking wild steelhead or something here WHO CARES 3/4 of the people are snagging as hard as possible in this river and your gonna whine about a guy who let a fish go? COME onnnnnnn =;
Arent you a guide? =D> =D> =D> nice morals. [thumbdn] [thumbdn] you dont play by the rules? thought so. =; =;

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 am

Once again..... So, so, judgmental. My suggestion would be to look at number of posts and joining date before sharing if you want to keep a shred of credibility.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

R.Ton
Petty Officer

Post by R.Ton » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:00 am

yeah so i dont have a million posts. dont mean i dont know what i am talkin about. this is the interweb man. arent we all know it alls? and for all interested i personally messaged dicinu a formal apology. i am a dbag for callin him out like that. fishin must be slow? once again...

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

fishin' is always slow when you got a job 5 days a week and do not live on top of the river/lake/pond. :pirat:

damn job in the way.... os out

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:02 am

im thinkin bout quitin..fishins was slow this am only managed 1 silver 8# and lost another b4 work #-o fished bout 40 minutes..i wanna quit fishin gettin boring tired of gettin up too early gonna sleep in tomorrow :tongue:
Attachments
134642711378.jpg
134642711378.jpg (187.77 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:22 am

OFFDAAHOOK wrote:im thinkin bout quitin..fishins was slow this am only managed 1 silver 8# and lost another b4 work #-o fished bout 40 minutes..i wanna quit fishin gettin boring tired of gettin up too early gonna sleep in tomorrow :tongue:
slow :scratch: I am just gettin started, bout to be 3day 4 pack at da quil and I already have 21 salmon on my punch card gonna have to get a new catch card, how many have you gone through already egghead I mean odh 8-[ #-o