Tow with outboard up or down?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Tow with outboard up or down?

Post by TroutCowboy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:28 am

I pull an 18' Lowe with a 40hp jet outboard. I have power tilt and a "kickstand" for locking it in the upright position, but I tow it with the drive down for two reasons: a) being a jet, there's no prop to drag on a driveway, speedbump, etc; and b) because in my non-engineer opinion, it seems like less stress on the stern.

Opinions? Thoughts?

oneshot
Commodore

Re: Tow with outboard up or down?

Post by oneshot » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 am

I was towing with it DOWN on my 20hp outboard on a 14' Lowe, the outboard has no auto tilt or support or anything fancy.. and for short distances i think it was ok, but after a long haul i noticed it bounced into the transom a few times and cracked a sliver type hole through the transom.. UGH!!!!! i had to do an aluminum patch and put a thicker aluminum plate on it to protect the transom better.. and now i tow with it UP and i use a tie down to secure it better.. i don't wrench it down super tight as to put too much stress on the transom, it seems to haul a lot better! and the motor stays put.

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:14 am

ouch, sorry to hear that! in my case the hydraulics that lift/lower the unit are rigid so it doesn't bounce. i would guess that the kickstand is more to prevent the drive from lowering due to the hydraulics bleeding off after time and sagging. but i'm sure there's some benefit during towing too.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:26 am

I'm totally new to boating with my own boat so i had this very same question i had been meaning to ask. i answered it myself when i put a hole in my transom..

here is something though, at 1st i did a temp patch with JB Weld, it held just fine.. then one time out on lake kachess the wind and waves picked up a bit, I motored back down the lake to get out and experienced lots of waves and bouncing. the motor plate came through the JB weld..
SO! now i have 2 issues to keep an eye on.. this is the other reason mounted the extra aluminum plate on..

should i be trying to motor through the chop (which seems to get me above it and keeps us in the boat more dry) or shoiuold i be going slow in the chop and wind (which gets us in the boat SOAKED!)

i know i know.. i need a bigger boat!! ugh!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:33 am

Almost always best to ride on top/above the chop/waves. Usually smoother, less pounding, and dryer. BUT depends on the type of boat, size of boat, and size of waves, and wave length, crest to crest, compared to the length of the boat, and the speed the boat is capable of. :-k Ya just have to try it and see how your boat handles the waves that day. Be safe.
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:46 am

Troutcowboy, you hit it right. Motor down. I think what really matters is how low your trailer is and how low the transom is. It would be my preference to tow with the motor in the down position as there is much less stress on all the moving parts of the motor and it keeps the oil where it's supposed to be, not to mention the huge stress on the transom with the motor tilted up. I'm pretty sure the manufactures recommend keeping the motors in the down position when ever possible. It's not going to happen on most bass types and or other low profiles, guess that's why there are the kickstands to put the wieght of the motor on the trailer and not the transom.

Oneshot, I'd think about taking the motor off and in the back of the truck when traveling. Small boats can't take the punishment as you've seen.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:37 am

I was out in glassy waters, then all of a sudden the wind picked up. which happens out there in the central cascades.. i called it a day on the boat and headed in right away.. the boat handled the waves better at speed but it did put the pressure on the motor and transom.. and hit the transom.. i'm learning and safety is #1, that's why i headed in.. i stayed close to shore and motored to the launch..

for transporting boat and trailer, I thought about putting the motor in the back of my jeep. but the only way is to put it down on its side.. isn't that going to cause issues? oil build up in the wrong location, gas spill etc..???
I know riding dirtbikes I would never transport it laid down..

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:48 am

Naw putting the motor on it's side is no problem, most of the smaller ones have direction on the motor it's self for laying them down. Less stress all around in the back of the rig. PlastIc tarp on the floor and good to go. For the motor while running in chop I'd suggest locking in the down position, it should stop a lot of the banging on the transom. Most OB's have the abilty to run in the down and locked position (for towing too) and when you get shallow and may bonk the lower unit, un-lock it for safety.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:01 pm

in those big deep lakes i run with it locked down always and when i was trailer it down, locked as well.. there appears to be some sort of transom flex or something? if it gets to bouncy the motor comes back into the transom. maybe the motor should be adjusted up one notch on the manual tilt setting? moving it away from transom another inch or so? i'm a total noob, and this is why i started with a small boat and motor [unsure]

i will try transporting in the jeep i think soon, its almost snoho time! if i am rolling alone though it could be tough some mornings carrying it and picking it up high enough to get on transom and mount it.. its not exactly light. close to 100lbs or more i am guessing, and while the boat is on the trailer it sits up higher..

screw it!! can i just get a semi perm ride on someone elses boat please? :) [thumbup]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:18 pm

No prob, let me know when you wnat to go.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:30 pm

Bodofish wrote:No prob, let me know when you wnat to go.
sweet! i'm into snoho coho.. pass me a line when its time, i'm pretty open on weekend days, just need some heads up to which day to inform the wife.. we'll be rolling out with the big RED jetboat too i'm sure some days, we'll need to connect, all of us!

I might should add for anyone else too.. I can back a trailer up!! like a pro.. I've been backing up my 15' long by 8' wide snowmobile trailer into a 10' wide driveway with 5' high walls on each side for 5 yrs.. on narrow Seattle neighborhood streets.. no easy task.. hahaha.. just saying I aint no slouch, i pay gas, beer, dick nites.. I like to offer some kind of help to my fellow friendly fishermen.. i know launching boats is much better as a two man task.. I been taking some buddies who are no help at ALL!

i should change my name to thread jacker.. seems i am good at it.. sorry Troutcowboy.. [rolleyes]

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:41 pm

With my old 15HP motor,I trailered with the motor down. Used a bungie cord around the lower unit and crossmember bar on trailer to prevent the motor from bouncing too much. Plenty of clearance.

With my current boat, there is no way to trailer with the motor down. I have maybe an 1" of space between the skeg and ground. It has a transom saver. So far, no problems in the 2 years I've owned it and the 3-4 years the previous owner had it.

If possible, I would trailer with the motor down. Just less things to worry about, if I had clearance.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Granted my Bullet was kevlar hulled and even as light and stiff as it was I had both a 300XS and a VMax on it for a significant amount of time. Always towed it up with a transom saver and the jackplate centered.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:22 am

oneshot wrote:i should change my name to thread jacker.. seems i am good at it.. sorry Troutcowboy.. [rolleyes]
no worries, i've enjoyed the conversation. and chuckling at your viking hat in post after post. lol

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:35 am

If you are able to tow with the motor down, that's the best position to trailer. If not, at least use something to support the motor while trailering. I used the tilt lock lever for 3 years with the 90hp on our Sportsman and never had an issue. When we upgraded to our current boat I bought an Atwood Swivl Eze Lock N Stow for the motor and it works great.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:48 pm

I usually tow with motor up and props pointed towards the car behind. It keeps tailgaters off your rear end. My Honda has these small levers that hold the motor in place. My 40 hp is a long shaft. It rides what I consider pretty close to the road. More close then I want it to be.