Skok-chat

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: Skok-chat

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:29 am

OFFDAAHOOK wrote:
Brat Bonker wrote:it was not that bad just that 10% caught 90% of the fish caught you know but firday was the best with yesterday being really good as well. On friday there were atleast 100 hooked in just the time I was there from 5am to 1pm
wow 100 hooked by 10% fishers so 90 was snagged :-"
yeah sounds about right except for my 14 fish hooked that day [flapper]

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 am

ya bonker go get those fish at skok and rip away [flapper] ..my fishes from puyollop you get a good long drift they actually hit and in da mouf [thumbup]Image
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:oh great now odh is going to be apart of this, might just call it quits know because once the fish see odh labeled hook, they bookin it to da hatchery as fast as possible, just please don't mention anything about the quilcene...dope #-o [crying]
the quill will be our little secret :salut:

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Got a dandy 18 pounder today.

I also caught a limit for a guy who had a harvester card. (hes disabled, and the harvester card sperate from catch card)

I caught his fish before mine. I caught him a 21 pounder and a 13.

Ive caughten 36 this season. I have 173 pounds in the freezer already.

I had a 2nd fisb and it got wrapped a round in a log, so i jumped in the riverto get the fish. And it got off. Scraped up my arm and leg
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Skunked four days in a row. Spent all day at the Cedar Hole today. Missed all 3 solid hits and lost hella tackle.I officially suck at fishing.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Will someone just start a flossing thread already and quit throwing accusations all over the place. What's the big deal? Mouth, tail.. it's not like it's anything new under the sun. Keep your flossing comments in a flossing thread. Some people catch fish, some don't, some of the time.

R.Ton
Petty Officer

Post by R.Ton » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:51 am

Metal wrote:When you bring in a salmonid backwards or sideways it essentially drowns the fish that's what the big deal is Nate and a bunch of fish are brought in that way by flossers down there. A salmonid needs to face upstream and let the water run through its gills to breath. A lot of foul hooked fish are released brain damaged due to this issue and slowly die. Many native chinook suffer from this cruel display of "fishing' down there. [thumbdn] [thumbdn] [thumbdn]
Now this is the information that all anglers need to live by. Teaching long leader/bead fishing leads to foul hooked fish, why do it? Because its in da mouf? Thanks for writing this Metal, I like your style.

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:43 am

rton and metal .im sure yo guys fish or do you, or just complain about everything. nate.t and many others post recent fish lately .so please quit hatin
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:49 am

I don't know how many times I've hooked a native fish in the mouth and had the fish swallow my bait clear up in their gills. Now I don't keep illegal fish, and I cut the line rather than ripping gills, but what's better for the fish? Getting dragged in by the lungs, or getting pulled in by his tail. Once revived, I'm gonna have to go with tail shots being the most survivable. When fishing the Sky for kings, I've ran into more than a fair share of big fish floundering around and dying in the sticks on the side of the river with a double hooked side drifting rig broken off in their gills because they swallowed the roe deep. If we're arguing survivability, snagging fish beats fair hooked fish hands down. There will be a risk of infection on the fish, but a little fungus won't stop the fish from spawning. Add the barbless hooks and stout leaders that your average Skok fishermen is throwing and you've got quick fights and releases, minimizing the time the fish gets played out. Most of the fish will jet away just fine to get caught by another angler in a few hours.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:06 pm

natetreat wrote:Will someone just start a flossing thread already and quit throwing accusations all over the place. What's the big deal? Mouth, tail.. it's not like it's anything new under the sun. Keep your flossing comments in a flossing thread. Some people catch fish, some don't, some of the time.

It would be my pleasure and I think maybe using braid for leader would be good idea too, what do ya say 8 or 10 feet?!!!!!! 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ [thumbsup]

And where in the heck do they come up with this stuff:
Metal wrote:When you bring in a salmonid backwards or sideways it essentially drowns the fish <snip> A lot of foul hooked fish are released brain damaged due to this issue and slowly die. Many native chinook suffer from this cruel display of "fishing' down there. [thumbdn] [thumbdn] [thumbdn]

That's got to be about the silliest thing I've ever heard of!!! Water over the gills is water over the gills don't matter if from the front or back. I have it on a great authority that fish feel no pain so suffering from a cruel display... Hahahaha I laugh in your face! I have personally killed thousands if not millions of fish by gutting them while alive and I'm here to tell you, they don't even flinch, just spill their guts and go. So may I suggest a good PETA rally or something, maybe throw some paint at Nordy's or Macy's. Hahahahaha choking a fish!!!!! Brain damaged fish ?!!!!! Hahahahahaha [flapper]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:13 pm

As a fisherman:

Good, bad or indiferent, and all opinions aside I've had two trips (1 last season, 1 this season) to the Skok now fishing two different sections and the experience I have had is this:

No fish for me

Saw 1 non flossed fish caught (eggs under bobber)

The rest I saw caught by flossing with the majority those being foul hooked (and many of those being kept).

I saw a guy who didn't even bother to reel his fish in. Fishing a single bead and a hook he'd hookset multiple times a drift, when he would hook something, he'd just run backwards until the fish was backed up on the bank, walk back, unhook it, kick it back into the water, reel his line up and go at it again. I watched him do this a dozen times and never saw a hook in or near the mouth and everybody commented how he's "On fire!"

I watched a guy (who made the following comments as we walked by with our float setups "yeah, move on down there with your bobbers" and "not only do I hate braid, I HATE guys that use it!") stand on a 5' bank at the mouth belly hook one and play it up and down the stretch of bank for a good 15 minutes, then when the fish was literally laying on it's side and completely spent the guy tries to lift it up the bank with his rod. Rod snaps, line snaps, fish falls into the water and floats away and the guy is now pissed at the fish for breaking his pole.

The only reaon I went this year was to try and find an area more suited to the way I like to fish. I didn't, so unless things change I doubt I'll be back. The Skok just isn't the place for me (and there are plenty of other rivers) so I will stay away and leave bank space for those that enjoy what it has to offer.

I say it is what it is, if you don't like they way people fish the Skok, don't go and fish there.

As a moderator:

If you wish to ask questions about the Skok great!
If you wish to share your Skok adventures, great!
If you wish to share your Skok catches fantastic!

If you want to change how the people fish the Skok - take it up with the WDFW, not here.
If you don't like people's Skok questions, adventures, or catches on this thread - don't read it.
If you want to hammer people that don't fish the way you think they should - move along or you will be warned, then you will be suspended. [angry]
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:27 pm

You go Gringo!!! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:55 pm

GP +100 =D> .....everyone has a right to say dere opinion, but trying to say there way id da right way is weird, kinda like getting forced into something. ...i do know those types and they are da reason fishingwebsites get ruined ,they never post any reports all they wana do is stur up szit
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Agreed gringo except I am past the warning stage. Harassment can expect an immediate suspension.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Metal wrote:When you bring in a salmonid backwards or sideways it essentially drowns the fish that's what the big deal is Nate and a bunch of fish are brought in that way by flossers down there. A salmonid needs to face upstream and let the water run through its gills to breath. A lot of foul hooked fish are released brain damaged due to this issue and slowly die. Many native chinook suffer from this cruel display of "fishing' down there. [thumbdn] [thumbdn] [thumbdn]
Um I have one question for you and this comment in the bold.

What do the fish do in the ocean they don't have a river to swim up stream?

Just the Logic you have on this is Crazy. I fish will drown if not faced up stream. it is like saying if a human walks side ways or backwards they cannot breath either. sell me something more believable then that.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:58 pm

This is the kind of question that inspires me to do a google search. I couldn't find a definative answer. Gills do work by having water flow over them, but I found nothing specifcally saying the direction the water flows makes a difference. That said, I do believe metal is correct that if you drag a fish around long enough by it's tail it may well "drown". However, I think extrapulating that to the act of bringing in a fish tail first is a stretch. Even when brought in tail first salmon and steelhead will have bursts of forward movement which would presumably re-oxygenate them. In any case, like any muscle, as the fish is unable to remove lactic acid from it's tail (muscle) it weakens and is brought in quicker. If fish did indeed drown from being pulled in backwards I think there would be plenty of people commenting on this observation. Whereas in fact the angler revieves the fish and they are seen to swim away. If they died then in a snagfest fishery you would expect to see lots of fish floating dead to the surface, which we don't see (at least I have not seen it, nor heard anyone comment about it).

I bet the bass guys could chime in here. I know when I recover a bass I'll often move the fish foward and backward which seems to help revive them quicker. I have no idea where I learned that behavior...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Mike Carey wrote:This is the kind of question that inspires me to do a google search. I couldn't find a definative answer. Gills do work by having water flow over them, but I found nothing specifcally saying the direction the water flows makes a difference. That said, I do believe metal is correct that if you drag a fish around long enough by it's tail it may well "drown". However, I think extrapulating that to the act of bringing in a fish tail first is a stretch. Even when brought in tail first salmon and steelhead will have bursts of forward movement which would presumably re-oxygenate them. In any case, like any muscle, as the fish is unable to remove lactic acid from it's tail (muscle) it weakens and is brought in quicker. If fish did indeed drown from being pulled in backwards I think there would be plenty of people commenting on this observation. Whereas in fact the angler revieves the fish and they are seen to swim away. If they died then in a snagfest fishery you would expect to see lots of fish floating dead to the surface, which we don't see (at least I have not seen it, nor heard anyone comment about it).

I bet the bass guys could chime in here. I know when I recover a bass I'll often move the fish foward and backward which seems to help revive them quicker. I have no idea where I learned that behavior...
it makes scence Mikes right interesting read . i bass fish alot befor in cali ,i seen jimmy huston and pro bassers doit on tv shows to revive fish going back and forth as long as i can remembor
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Well, im not gonna get involved in all that. But i got another limit today .I got there at about 9 (slept in), and none of my buddies had any fish on the bank yet. I got there, 4th cast i got the big one, and about 20 minutes later got the 2nd. So limited in less then 30 minutes today, only hooked the 2. But fishing was on fire all day
Attachments
821.jpg
821.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:25 pm

good job fish bait ,if i could ever geta day off i be there :cheers:
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:28 pm

hey fishbait. were you there getting out of a VW by the 106 bridge on Monday?