Skok-chat

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: Skok-chat

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:23 pm

true unless it is down it is in the gullet or roof of the mouth like most of coho I catch. How did you guys do down at the skok anyways...any vids?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:true unless it is down it is in the gullet or roof of the mouth like most of coho I catch. How did you guys do down at the skok anyways...any vids?
Yea i agree with ya on the coho thing, cascade coho lovve peach beads! We never went to skok, fished coho up here in sound, did ok, not great

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:28 pm

oh, yeah there are a lot of darkies in there but they all have nice orange meat, they are egg hungry too.

R.Ton
Petty Officer

Post by R.Ton » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm a crusty old fart and beads=flossing. Sorry bonker. Not one guy at the Skok fishing beads is fishing them with intentions for a bite. How many times are you setting your hook in your drift? I watched a guy using a short leader about 4 ft hook more fish than anyone around. All his fish hooked weren't fair. if only the skok was a bait fishery only.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:37 pm

I was fishing amongst others and I did well on eggs today without a bobber, I believe the fish like the eggs better drifted there IMO. I love fishing with beads becuase salmon are almost always on the bottom and beads keep you on the bottom and they look more life live to an egg than a corky does.

R.Ton
Petty Officer

Post by R.Ton » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:42 pm

beads under a float is the real deal for steelhead. one of my buddies has this method dialed in. he said he took a springer a month ago on a bead. light tackle kicked him in the behind.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:43 pm

R.Ton wrote:I'm a crusty old fart and beads=flossing. Sorry bonker. Not one guy at the Skok fishing beads is fishing them with intentions for a bite. How many times are you setting your hook in your drift? I watched a guy using a short leader about 4 ft hook more fish than anyone around. All his fish hooked weren't fair. if only the skok was a bait fishery only.
Legal is legal if we want a change we have to take it up with the WDFW and/or lead by example.

As I said in another post - wouldn't it be fun if they matched the regs on the Samish?
only one single-point hook allowed, and bait or lure must be suspended below a float.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:59 pm

R.Ton wrote:beads under a float is the real deal for steelhead. one of my buddies has this method dialed in. he said he took a springer a month ago on a bead. light tackle kicked him in the behind.
I do agree that beads have there place for steelheading, dropper jig and a bead is now a favorite of mine when I concluded my first summer steely limit on the cow when a nice 9lb buck took my bead and not the jig.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:20 pm

ive been seeing people posting about using jigs, spinners, and spoons at the skok. Well last year it was illegal, and i believe its the same this year

today was a tough day for me, there was fish, but i wasnt holding my mouth right and only caught wild fish in the mouth and landed. I tried hard, but theres always tomorrow
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:57 pm

I use jigs on the quil, not the skok. Fb, I had an amazing day actually, 5 for 14 with a limit consisting of a chrome jack and a 12lb buck and released 3 wild jacks all on eggs and white yarn with 1oz wt. I am now 7 for 25 in my 2 trips to the skok, going tommorrow around noonish, see ya out with with eggs again bout to do more damage. Tried the float and egg deal today as well and crackered a couple off.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Idk what was up today, i couldnt keep them on. I sharpened my hooks and everything, but just wasnt my day!

You should come down to the clay banks, where the clif is and everything. Ill be out there, we are having a big memorial for one of our fishing buddies, she was shot in the head about 6 months ago. Having a big party
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:11 pm

like GP say its all good and legal as long as it is barbless. and in da mouf :tongue: they hatchry fish anyway for meat :tongue:
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:35 pm

thanks Fb for the invite but I want to do some fishing since I do not makee it out there too much and my fishing grounds are only open for 3 days a week, sorry to hear that about your friend that sucks...good luck :salut:

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Alright man sounds good, were gonna be fishiing alot tomorrow as well.
Well good luck [thumbup]

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:47 pm

hey thanks, yeah if you do not limit out (which you probaly will limit out), you should check out my spot PM me if you want to know where, except you need some chest waders and bring eggs if you do.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Not tomorrow, but maybe sunday

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:06 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:ive been seeing people posting about using jigs, spinners, and spoons at the skok. Well last year it was illegal, and i believe its the same this year
Umm .. where did you see that?
SKOKOMISH RIVER (Mason Co.) from mouth to Hwy. 106 Bridge (834)
ALL SPECIES - Aug. 10-Nov. 30: night closure, anti-snagging rule, and single-point barbless hooks required.
Aug. 10-Dec. 15: terminal gear (hooks, weights, lures, or baits) and line must not be within 25' of tribal gillnets.
SALMON Aug. 10-Sept. 5 Min. size 12”. Daily limit 2. Release wild CHINOOK and CHUM. Only fish hooked inside the mouth may be retained. Anglers must retain the first 2 SALMON, if legal to do so, and stop fishing.
from Hwy. 106 Bridge to Hwy. 101 Bridge (834)
ALL SPECIES - Aug. 10-Nov. 30: night closure, anti-snagging rule, and single-point barbless hooks required.
Aug. 10-Dec. 15: terminal gear (hooks, weights, lures, or baits) and line must not be within 25' of tribal gillnets.
SALMON Aug. 10-Sept. 3 Min. size 12”. Daily limit 2. Release wild CHINOOK and CHUM. Closed Monday through Thursday weekly, except open Monday Sept. 3. Only fish hooked inside the mouth may be retained. Anglers must retain the
first 2 SALMON, if legal to do so, and stop fishing.
from Hwy. 101 Bridge to forks (834) All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Oct. 31 Catch-and-release. Selective gear rules. Internal combustion motors
prohibited.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:13 pm

I am glad you posted the regs because I just relized that from 106 to 101 we can only fish 13 total days for kings :scratch: :thumbdown

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Kids were killing it today on the purdy cutoff with eggs. I love it when there is a morning egg bite, just wish I had some eggs. Hungout at the mouth at low tide, and surprisingly, never saw a fish roll. Slow day for me

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:45 pm

schu7498 wrote:Kids were killing it today on the purdy cutoff with eggs. I love it when there is a morning egg bite, just wish I had some eggs. Hungout at the mouth at low tide, and surprisingly, never saw a fish roll. Slow day for me
no eggs! Come on schu! lol, you gotta get yourself a nice fat hen to cure up for the rivers