Most Memorable Fish

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
noclothes1
Lieutenant

RE:Most Memorable Fish

Post by noclothes1 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:17 pm

I didn't catch this one but I bet it was memorable:

"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:16 pm

were did u catch the pike at?
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:02 pm

dude what the hell! symese twin pike wow! i am surprised those things even lived to get that big!
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:38 pm

Looks like Photoshop to me..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:41 pm

yea i dont think that is possible it is most likely photoshop unless somebody caught 2 and then did some docter work and sewed them together lol
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:14 am

Is it from a cooling pond at a nuclear power plant? I've heard of two headed fish, but a twin body mutant pike. :geek:

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:24 am

rather its realy or not, its crazy!

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:33 pm

I never saw the only fish that ever stripped line from my reel. I was living in Sacramento and went with a buddy up to Yuba City to go salmon fishing, my first and only time. He caught and released one and I hooked and lost one. On the way home I was driving through all the rice fields and stopped every once in a while at an irrigation slough and fished for bass…my main target back then. I was under a bridge and there were signs of fishing there. A bucket, some trash and lots of footprints in the mud. I set up a bobber over a worm because the water was pretty shallow and I figured I would catch some gills. I found a sweet spot and caught 6 or 8 small ones and tossed them back. Then I tossed back to the same spot and missed by a few feet, dang, well as I was about to reel in to cast again my bobber splashed under. Line was stripping out of my reel like gangbusters. I had never had this happen before. I struggled with the fish for about ten minutes and then I decided my drag was set to loose, because I was not gaining on the fish so I reached over and turned the drag setting just a little to the right and bang the line snapped. Never saw the fish always assumed a cat fish.

The most memorable fish I ever actually caught was a bass. I had gone to an overnight outing with my wife’s work-mates. She was working as a legal secretary and the campout was at a lake and the flyer said “bring your boat” so I did. The lawyers all brought their big ski boats and such and I brought my 12’ double-hulled home-made fiberglass jon boat. My wife was kind of embarrassed, I think. We got there in the afternoon so I put the boat in to explore where I would fish in the am. I found a couple of good spots and when I returned there were a couple of the guys who said they would be interested in going with me. They all got drunk that night and no one would get up with me in the morning, so I went out alone. The only thing I remember about the whole day fishing is this one little cove I had spied out the day before. I approached it and cut the 6.5 hp motor and lifted it coasting into the cove filled on one end with lily pads as I drifted close in I cast my hula-popper right next to the pads and as it settled I popped it once and BANG it was sucked down. The fish fought well and broke the water once. It was my first largemouth bass. It was no bigger than my hand, but what a thrill…like it was yesterday.

As a side note I got in trouble with my wife when I told her I was going out after smartmouth bass and when her work-mates said there was no such thing…she defended me. What a gal I married!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:49 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:Great thread, but so many stories! 2 come to mind right off.

Age - 9 Carp fishing in Nebraska with extended family - thunder cell comes through along with rain and hail - My uncle, mom, and 4 kids sitting in the cab of the pickup watching our poles and waiting out the rain - zip/splash... zip/splash two poles disappear into the lake. The cell passes and we go out to see these two poles cruising around the shallows. I will always remember my uncle, stripped down to his tighty whiteys, running in 3' of water chasing our fishing poles. He caught em and we actually pulled in the fish. Then the debate was whose fish was it. They were our poles and we "reeled" in the fish, so they should be ours right???

Age 16 - Took a "city" friend to Nebraska and we camped out on a little (10 acre) lake on my uncles property. This property was on the Platte River, about 5 years earlier the river had flooded and channel cats had gotten into the lake. I had fished it the year before and caught a nice one, so I knew there were big fish in there. My buddy however had never fished in his life. We threw our lines out at dark and I secured my pole to the front bumper of my car. My buddy jammed his through one of those aluminum and mesh lawn chairs. We were sittin by the camp fire and all of a sudden clank clank clank here goes the lawn chair down the beach. Never seen this guy run so fast! Ended up pulling in a 10# cat, I got one about 5# and we spent the rest of the night playing with a couple snapping turtles we caught seeing who's could break the biggest stick. The pic is from the year before..(yes, once upon a time I had hair)

Ehrr Gringo......

I don't know what I like better..... you and that Ozzy T-shirt and hair cut/... or the fish. That pic. is a classic.

Chris
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:17 am

It's been a long time since I've caught anything that could be called a most memorable fish. But I had a really kind of cool/special experience just this morning before work. I live about 3 blocks from Carkeek Park on Puget Sound, Area 10. Seattle. I've been taking my new yellow lab puppy down there early in the am. for a walk during the weekdays. This is around 0700, so there is nobody in the park at all. I do though always seem to see this one guy way out on the beach, about 40' into the surf, casting flies for Searun Cutthroat. It is a very beautiful time of morning, no one there, and a huge bald eagle sitting on a log.
so this morning I had my car packed and went on down. Once again the park is deserted except for this one dude fly fishing. I walked out there and threw about 5 casts with 4 different lures. About 15 minutes into it I put on this Blue Fox spinner with a gold blade and a orange shaft. One cast in a totaly different direction.......Fish on. I start pulling in a sweet cutthroat, about 16-17" What makes it really cool is that I am fishing with the same model/manafacturer reel that I first grew up with as a kid. A Mitchell 300 spinning reel. circa. 1968ish This is the type of reel my dad turned me on to as a kid. I recently found a brand new virgin reel on Craigslist. It has never even had line on it before, all paperwork etc.
So my first time out with this reel I catch this first time cutthroat. He is peeling some line off, and I am able to do all this before even going into work to 10 hours in a job that I dread every day.
Unfortunately there is no special pic. to go along with it, but today was a memorable day for me and fishing.

One other brief story.... I've always wanted to fish for Lingcod. This past summer I went out with a friend and his two small boys and my son to basicly fish for dogfhish.
This friend doesn't really fish.... so you could say he doensn't really "Get it" on the Lincod thing. After we've been fishing awhile, my son has something on his rod. He says that it is too heavy and needs some help. I start to haul this thing up, and it's all I can do to lift the rod. It is coming up slowly and I y know enough to tell that it has a fish on, but it is extemley heavy and out of the norm. So after awhile of this,, the sea monster has dropped off, gone. I then pull up the line and what I find is that my son had initially caught what was probably a sculpin/bottom fish of sorts. But what had happened was that something freakin' huge had then latched on and taken hold of the first fish that was caught. It held on for some period of time, but was never really hooked by the hook. When eventually it came loose from the sculpin, all that was left when I pulled it up was literally the jaw of the sculpin and some of it's face.
They say that Lings will often go after what is initially caught. I think that this is what happened here. I was so freaked out when I pulled it up.... all talkin' it up to my buddy about Lingcods etc. He who I said does not even fish..... was like, " Ah yeah, right dude, OK"
I kept saying, " You don't get it.... it's a furkin' Lingcod!!"
Nobody on that boat really got it, but it was a kodak moment for me.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:00 am

quadradomus wrote:
They say that Lings will often go after what is initially caught. I think that this is what happened here. I was so freaked out when I pulled it up.... all talkin' it up to my buddy about Lingcods etc. .
they do, do that, ive seen it multiple times.
also they will hold on quite offten all the way the surface.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:21 pm

Usually they'll hold on until you net them...

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:27 pm

dang how big are they

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:52 pm

They can get really big and nasty. I think for Puget Sound waters most slot limits for lings are 22" to 40" and it's not uncommon to get them over 40" so when you do the math they can be well over 3 feet long and I've seen some that push 4 feet long

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:54 pm

thats a big fish, i went to go to the coville river to go for germans browns 2 weekeneds ago but a guy told me that all any1 was catching down thur was lingcod he said it was goodeatin. have u tasted it?

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:36 pm

if u have ever went to a resuturant and ordered fish and chips and it did not say "halibut fish and chips" then you were most likely eating lingcod they have a nice white flakey meat the resembles a halibut
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:41 pm

Lingcod is DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

MMMMMMMMMM Fish and Chips.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:33 pm

Fisherman_max wrote:if u have ever went to a resuturant and ordered fish and chips and it did not say "halibut fish and chips" then you were most likely eating lingcod they have a nice white flakey meat the resembles a halibut
It's actually usually true cod, shipped in....Lingcod fish n chips are pretty tough to find in restaraunts, but yes its probably the best fish you've ever tasted...

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:50 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:Great thread, but so many stories! 2 come to mind right off.

Age - 9 Carp fishing in Nebraska with extended family - thunder cell comes through along with rain and hail - My uncle, mom, and 4 kids sitting in the cab of the pickup watching our poles and waiting out the rain - zip/splash... zip/splash two poles disappear into the lake. The cell passes and we go out to see these two poles cruising around the shallows. I will always remember my uncle, stripped down to his tighty whiteys, running in 3' of water chasing our fishing poles. He caught em and we actually pulled in the fish. Then the debate was whose fish was it. They were our poles and we "reeled" in the fish, so they should be ours right???

Age 16 - Took a "city" friend to Nebraska and we camped out on a little (10 acre) lake on my uncles property. This property was on the Platte River, about 5 years earlier the river had flooded and channel cats had gotten into the lake. I had fished it the year before and caught a nice one, so I knew there were big fish in there. My buddy however had never fished in his life. We threw our lines out at dark and I secured my pole to the front bumper of my car. My buddy jammed his through one of those aluminum and mesh lawn chairs. We were sittin by the camp fire and all of a sudden clank clank clank here goes the lawn chair down the beach. Never seen this guy run so fast! Ended up pulling in a 10# cat, I got one about 5# and we spent the rest of the night playing with a couple snapping turtles we caught seeing who's could break the biggest stick. The pic is from the year before..(yes, once upon a time I had hair)
Picture of the year!!! LMAO...too good. For those of us fortunate enough to know "Gringo", that's what makes this so frickin funny....HAIR!!!!! :cheers:

That's alright bro, I had a white-man fro when I was that age....rockin!!!
God Bless our brave men and women fighting to preserve our way of life!!!

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:00 pm

My most memorable fish is one I never landed.

I worked a cattle ranch in Oklahoma for a while back in the day. On the 1000 acre ranch were about 25 1 to 2 acre ponds, mainly for watering the cattle obviously. One morning I took my rod & reel out with me on the back of my horse and "wet a line" during a break, that started my Oklahoma bass fishing obsession. This one pond in particular had HUUUUUGE LMB in it, most of which had NEVER seen a lure....ever. One late afternoon trip I was throwing spinners and locked into a monster, I later named him "Norman"..LOL, anyway I faught that fish for about a minute or so, got it right up to the weeds ready to lip it, it took one look at me, winked and shook the hook. Damn thing splashed me like the Shamu show at Sea World. I spent the next 6 months and $200 in lures trying to find that dude...it wasn't to be.

If you're ever in Eufala, OK (off SR9) that's where she's at....tell her I said "Hi"
God Bless our brave men and women fighting to preserve our way of life!!!