Skok-chat

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
zefsidefishing
Warrant Officer

Re: Skok-chat

Post by zefsidefishing » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:04 pm

sorry to be a pest, but im coming from redmond, where do i drive too, to find either purdy cuttoff, or hunter farms, and just explore and find fish? and is there any camping opportunities? or just sleep in a car? and what lb test should i use, 15 mainline 12 leader? thank much guys!

zefsidefishing
Warrant Officer

Post by zefsidefishing » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:07 pm

like the town its in. and what the regs would be under, im trying to figure it out on the regs book.

zefsidefishing
Warrant Officer

Post by zefsidefishing » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:20 pm

okay, so from bellevue to shelton WA takes about 2 hours, not bad, then i drive up purdy cuttof road, and either stop anywhere along the river, or go up to hunter farms, park there and walk down to the river, and just walk n fish along side the other thousands of people? but fishing is pretty hot, and just a little orange, chartreuse, black, just a corkie wil do. what size hook, lb test do i use? im gonna drift fish. ty guys for your help.,

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:06 am

youll seecars and people on purde cutoff rd. 15-30#line youll see the fish cast at them and set the hook.6'-15' leader 2/0 hook ,1oz lead good luck
Last edited by OFFDAAHOOK on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

bcustom1
Petty Officer

Post by bcustom1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:07 am

Zef -

Ok, now I have fished there ONCE (so take all of this with a grain of salt) but I will tell you what I found. Drove down by myself from redmond and had no problem figuring out where people fish on purdy cutoff (everywhere). Keep in mind this was on the opener, but it seems that the most popular setup is black yarn. Find a hole that they are holding and throw a hook a little smaller than you would usually fish for kings with(to avoid the plethora of snags), with a little bit of black yarn. I had much better hook up ratios when I used less yarn (i guess they are closer to the bottom. As for test of main line/leader, I was using 20lb super slick power pro and a 20lb seaguar leader. You need it. The two fish I hooked into were huge. I was using an 8 - 17lb SST and almost broke it on the only two fish I hooked into. There were people fishing opposite me on a log that saw the first fish I hooked into that said it was huge. I never saw it, it broke.
The second fish I hooked I did land. It was about a 30lb fish that I fought for about ten minutes, pulled it on to the bank was about to bonk it when.... ADIPOSE! Put her back in IMMEDIATELY (first wild king i've caught in WA)!
Anyways Zef, I drove home empty handed before work on Friday but happy I got to fight such a huge beast (especially the native beast). Just know what you are getting into. It isn't a nice, relaxing day at the river. It has big fish in it and everyone with any kind of interest knows it [crying] .

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:17 am

bring a helmit and faceshield or goggles youll need it [blink]
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

bcustom1
Petty Officer

Post by bcustom1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:29 am

or just give odh sum eggz nd folow him to da secrit spot and yo have moore fun. don't take em' fo granite tho, or he wouldn't take yo back to it next time.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:16 am

OFFDAAHOOK wrote:bring a helmit and faceshield or goggles youll need it [blink]
yep, sure would help when a 1 oz cannonball is flinging right for your face after snapping off, got one off my knee cap once boy did that hurt [cursing] [cursing] [cursing] [crying]
I use 25lb mono main with 15-17lb leaders for where I fish in the sticks with 1/2-1oz wt with a 3ft leader and white yarn and eggs but last time I was out there all I had were freezer burned eggs but I did manage a couple. If you are going to drift fish corky and yarn I suggest colors in green, white, purple or black but mainly green or white.
I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck float fishing jigs for kings in the skok and what colors seem to produce, I have found a really good bobber hole and thinking of giving it a try next time I am out.

Rob G.
Warrant Officer

Post by Rob G. » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:58 am

Ok, true story.... I'm a flosser, I have fished with eggs and you're right it's way better... the problem is I've never caught anything on store bought eggs, only on the ones magically cured by some guy, some where with waaaay too much time on his hands... So I mostly floss fish. So on Friday we start out on this hole I've never fished before and it's mostly guys floatin' eggs. Me and my boy AKA The Super Flosser (10ft pole, 25lb test and leader, 1oz cannon ball, I'm a little more descreat) are doin' our thing when this guy next to us starts tellin' us the benefit of fishin' eggs, and how much "better" it is. So about 15 minutes later these guys come walkin' by us with limits, they tell us the fish are holdin' up around the corner... So me and Super Floss pack up and go... Now we're in the hole catchin' fish after fish, havin a good ol' time and LO AND BEHOLD! Who do I see standing next to me in the combat line....that's right, Mr. eggs are the way to go! LOL If you can't beat em' join em?

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:10 pm

eggs have there place. like at barrier for springers. if its legal to use corky any yarn ,well rip away whoes to say kings dont eat corky and what its doing under water:-$ ..btw i know some of the best egg fisherman around..but also they the best at flossing too :scratch: when conditions call for it who really cares they say they hatchery fish ment to be harvested and killed.
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:23 pm

OFFDAAHOOK wrote:eggs have there place. like at barrier for springers. if its legal to use corky any yarn ,well rip away whoes to say kings dont eat corky and what its doing under water:-$ ..btw i know some of the best egg fisherman around..but also they the best at flossing too :scratch: when conditions call for it who really cares they say they hatchery fish ment to be harvested and killed.
+5, hatchery fish must be irraticated right odh :cheers: but my first instinct is fish the way everyone else is so I do not get BS thrown at me or get beat up unless my homies are with me :cheers: I like fishing with bait first off to pick off the biters, then hardware/jigs to get the aggressive fish and then fish with corkies or beads if the fish are not cooperating or been pounded but normally at the skok it is alternating between drift bait or drift yarn and/or corkies but right now for me it is hard using bait when most of it is freezer burned ](*,) , have to wait til labor day or when I can pick off a hen at the skok.

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:59 pm

are there any spots below highway 106 that I can fish during the week without having to pay?

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:37 pm

I logged on with 5 messages all saying "skok" lolol. I dont fish this river, what are you guys thinking? :^o
Another limit today, a 7 and a 15.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:40 pm

I believe you can park along side the road and walk in without paying. I think you hafta pay if you want a gate key. but correct me if I'm wrong guys.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:48 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:I logged on with 5 messages all saying "skok" lolol. I dont fish this river, what are you guys thinking? :^o
Another limit today, a 7 and a 15.
You should change your name to the "Skokomish Kid"

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Hahaha, maybe :pirat:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:00 pm

bcustom1 wrote:Zef -

Ok, now I have fished there ONCE (so take all of this with a grain of salt) but I will tell you what I found. Drove down by myself from redmond and had no problem figuring out where people fish on purdy cutoff (everywhere). Keep in mind this was on the opener, but it seems that the most popular setup is black yarn. Find a hole that they are holding and throw a hook a little smaller than you would usually fish for kings with(to avoid the plethora of snags), with a little bit of black yarn. I had much better hook up ratios when I used less yarn (i guess they are closer to the bottom. As for test of main line/leader, I was using 20lb super slick power pro and a 20lb seaguar leader. You need it. The two fish I hooked into were huge. I was using an 8 - 17lb SST and almost broke it on the only two fish I hooked into. There were people fishing opposite me on a log that saw the first fish I hooked into that said it was huge. I never saw it, it broke.
The second fish I hooked I did land. It was about a 30lb fish that I fought for about ten minutes, pulled it on to the bank was about to bonk it when.... ADIPOSE! Put her back in IMMEDIATELY (first wild king i've caught in WA)!
Anyways Zef, I drove home empty handed before work on Friday but happy I got to fight such a huge beast (especially the native beast). Just know what you are getting into. It isn't a nice, relaxing day at the river. It has big fish in it and everyone with any kind of interest knows it [crying] .
You should loosen your drag. If you're breaking off 20 lbs leaders, either your knots are failing or you're pulling too hard on the fish. We run 10 lbs leader on the Skok and catch a lot of fish, even the bigguns. Take your time and play it out, you only get to reel in two fish, make it count.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:32 pm

where I fish you can not use anything less than 15lb test because the fish will either run into the logs or the cables in the water so to turn them you need the little extra boost of lb test but it still takes me a while to fight the fish out so I do not break a rod or something. So jigs anyone try em yet? Also do spinners and spoons work there and what colors are good, I might give that a go as well this year if I have time.

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:42 pm

it would depend on which hoe you fish. lower river you can get away with light stuff. but at snagger hole with bunch of trees and cables you would need heavyer line imo. i would not fish snagger hoe with spinners and jigs it can get spendy #-o ..lower river below bridge would be better cuz less snags and its slower river flow . from my experience id go copper/brass yo dont wanna spook them mayby #4-5 i had good luck at green river when it was low and clear. eggz would be deadly freedrift early am but yo ran out of good egg right bonkers :-" if they dont bite force feed them haha =D>
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:43 pm

idk what the skok is like but on the samish I would usually run 20lb but when i got pissed off I would just use 30 or 40lb. the waters so murky it doesn't affect them biting it at all and it really helps when you gotta horse a pig out of some sticks.