crabbing

Our hardshelled friends found here.
HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

crabbing

Post by HULI_ISDA » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Okay fisherman out there thats online,I got a question.dad and my brother just called me and ask if crabbing at edmonds marina is open? I think they are talking about the dock.they are on there way to get a license and crab pot.any help guys? And anybody knows an area easy to find and close to edmonds.thank you.I think they are thinking of heading out tonight.im going through the regs. It just a lilttle confusing to me since im new on this stuff too.any input really appreciated.thank you and god bless.

returnofthefish
Captain

Re: crabbing

Post by returnofthefish » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:39 pm

i dont have the reg book on me, but i think crabbing is closed on certain days. I think it might be tuesdays and wednesdays.

HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Post by HULI_ISDA » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:57 pm

oh what? really? okay thanks for the info.I'll let them know? do you know what the reason for closing.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:15 am

The reason for closing: The human population in the area keeps growing and the crab population, which has been very well managed for decades by WDFW, and in recent years, jointly by WDFW and the tribes, has been kept at near capacity levels. In order to maintain a recreational fishery from July 1 through Labor Day weekend (generally), harvest has to be limited somehow. Closing it 2 days a week during that period ensures that this fishery isn't over fished. If the crab-fishing human population keeps growing however, eventually, something else will have to 'give'.

My 2 cents worth.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 am

DavidA wrote:The reason for closing: The human population in the area keeps growing and the crab population, which has been very well managed for decades by WDFW, and in recent years, jointly by WDFW and the tribes, has been kept at near capacity levels. In order to maintain a recreational fishery from July 1 through Labor Day weekend (generally), harvest has to be limited somehow. Closing it 2 days a week during that period ensures that this fishery isn't over fished. If the crab-fishing human population keeps growing however, eventually, something else will have to 'give'.

My 2 cents worth.
I second that.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 am

Phivial81us,

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is a link to the regs. when you open it, download the PDF of the regs. Of course people will ask questions in online forums about regulations.... At least you care to ask,,,, but in the end, read the information on your own. You don't want to take interpretations on regs. from any yahoo on a forum. (Not that you've been steered wrong yet though) O:)

Trouttrakr
Petty Officer

Post by Trouttrakr » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:20 am

The crab fishery is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I've been told by some people working for the WDFW that those are the days that the enforcers take their days off for the week instead of Saturday and Sunday. :-$ ](*,)

HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Post by HULI_ISDA » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Well that makes lots of sense.i kinda figured that out.thanks for the reply tho.

woody_george
Petty Officer

Post by woody_george » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Hey guys,

My friend and I want to drop a crab pot out of Mukilteo somewhere - anyone have any decent spots to do this at? We know Discovery Bay in Sequim well, but nothing on this side of the sound.

Thanks,
George

HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Post by HULI_ISDA » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Yes quad,i been reading the regs. Now. Its just a little confusing for me before but i iust have to take your time and read through and all info is there.thanks again guys.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:47 am

catch cards are due .... dont give 'em a extra $10 buck$