Baker Lake Harsh Wardens

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
reelinanrockin
Petty Officer

Re: Baker Lake Harsh Wardens

Post by reelinanrockin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 am

Forget letting it die... I have been harrased by these wardens more than once on the water. I can remember being at Neah bay on kings when the tide and current were perfect and searched around trying to find them. Spending hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours to get an opportunity to catch something out there. Then some Nazi boards my boat and has me pull up me gear just to check my barbless hook...Why dont they just stand at the dock and remind everyone before they leave to clip the barbs off out there if it is that important. But no no no they want to race around out there in there little speed boat and play cowboys and indians with fisherman who are working reel hard to make it a trip of a lifetime. >>When are they gonna let that little game they are so eager to play with us die<<<. the overwhelming majority of us obey the rules. I just have seen this too much from them and dont respect this little game they like to play. I think we should post this wardens name and picture up on a wall of shame so when we are out there fishing and see him driving around in his little boat trying to act sneaky then we can stay away from or make fun of him and laugh at this jerk . That seems to be what what he thinks of all of us based on HIS OWN ACTIONS on the water toward ALL of us.... :cheers:

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:48 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
reelinanrockin wrote:This is pure bs by this "warden" I sent a link to this thread to the director Phil Andersen and I hope he reads it. That way he will get a ear full on what we people who buy licenses and tackle to fish think about his fish cops on the water who pull this crapola off on us. :salut:

I sent them a cute little letter as well :-({|=
I hope your note said thanks!. Just for one second you might switch places with the mustache man. Yea, and place the mustache man in your place in your boat. What he (you) saw was the same guy reel in and keep 3 fish, then put his gear back out........simple as that. What he did not plan on is that guy recording 2 of them on his card and one of them on his partners.

For all I know he wrote you a ticket to send a message, and because he had better than a 50% chance the ticket would stick. That judge summed it up by saying " be careful next time, don't actually land the fish, if it happens again just keep it tight and wait, then hand back off when the other fisherman is free and ready for him to bring it to the net. And the judge also said if the fish was caught on your rod the ticket would have stuck!

For that reason I would feel really lucky. And take a different approach when a "double' occurs again. Treat it like your solo in a boat with a double on, use the motor to keep the other line tight, only let your buddy have the fun of fighting them both. The hard part may very well be hooking the fish. But the tug is the drug, there is not disputing that!!

If you do not agree.....okay...LOL. But that is what I am learning from your experience.
Last edited by MotoBoat on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geljockey
Petty Officer

Post by geljockey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:08 pm

FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
July 24, 2012

Boat limits allowed during Baker Lake sockeye fishery
Action: Each angler aboard a vessel may continue to deploy angling gear until the daily limit of sockeye has been retained for all licensed and juvenile anglers onboard.
Effective dates: Immediately through Sept. 4, 2012
Species affected: Sockeye salmon
Location: Baker Lake, upstream of the log boom barrier in front of upper Baker Dam to the mouth of Baker River.
Reasons for action: The return of Baker Lake sockeye is expected to far surpass escapement goals. Surplus sockeye salmon are available for harvest.
Other information: All other fishing regulations remain in effect as listed in the 2012/2013 Fishing in Washington sport fishing rules pamphlet. Anglers are reminded to release all bull trout. The two-pole endorsement is allowed for this fishery. The Catch Record Card Code for Baker Lake is 825. Please see the Baker sockeye web page at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/socke ... river.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for further information on seasons, access sites and fish counts.
Information contact: Brett Barkdull, 360-466-4345 ext. 270, barkdbcb@dfw.wa.gov

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license. Check the current WDFW “Fishing in Washington” rules pamphlet or the Fishing section of the WDFW webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing regulations are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500; press 2 for recreational rules; call the Shellfish Rule Change hotline, (360) 796-3215, or toll free 1 (866) 880-5431.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Check out this e-mail I just got from the WDFW;

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

July 24, 2012

Action: Each angler aboard a vessel may continue to deploy angling gear until the daily limit of sockeye has been retained for all licensed and juvenile anglers onboard.

Location: Baker Lake, upstream of the log boom barrier in front of upper Baker Dam to the mouth of Baker River.

Reasons for action: The return of Baker Lake sockeye is expected to far surpass escapement goals. Surplus sockeye salmon are available for harvest.

Other information: All other fishing regulations remain in effect as listed in the 2012/2013 Fishing in Washington sport fishing rules pamphlet. Anglers are reminded to release all bull trout. The two-pole endorsement is allowed for this fishery. The Catch Record Card Code for Baker Lake is 825. Please see the Baker sockeye web page at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/socke ... river.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for further information on seasons, access sites and fish counts.

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been sent to the WDFW All Information mailing list.
Visit the Emergency Fishing Rule Website at: https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To UNSUBSCRIBE from this mailing list: http://wdfw.wa.gov/lists/unsubscribe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Version: 2012.0.2197 / Virus Database: 2437/5151 - Release Date: 07/24/12
Tom.

Interests: living

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:48 pm

Anybody think the judge from ffs case had a discussion with fish and game? What a coincidence of the court case monday and this new rule.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:51 pm

HAHAHA oh my god either thats the biggest coincidence ON THE PLANET or they felt so stupid about my particular case that they changed it... Dude thats crazy i cant believe they did that, it had to be because of me, cause ive never seen that kind of a change before.
Last edited by RiverChromeGS on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:52 pm

MotoBoat wrote:
fishenfreak wrote:
reelinanrockin wrote:This is pure bs by this "warden" I sent a link to this thread to the director Phil Andersen and I hope he reads it. That way he will get a ear full on what we people who buy licenses and tackle to fish think about his fish cops on the water who pull this crapola off on us. :salut:

I sent them a cute little letter as well :-({|=
I hope your note said thanks!. Just for one second you might switch places with the mustache man. Yea, and place the mustache man in your place in your boat. What he (you) saw was the same guy reel in and keep 3 fish, then put his gear back out........simple as that. What he did not plan on is that guy recording 2 of them on his card and one of them on his partners.

For all I know he wrote you a ticket to send a message, and because he had better than a 50% chance the ticket would stick. That judge summed it up by saying " be careful next time, don't actually land the fish, if it happens again just keep it tight and wait, then hand back off when the other fisherman is free and ready for him to bring it to the net. And the judge also said if the fish was caught on your rod the ticket would have stuck!

For that reason I would feel really lucky. And take a different approach when a "double' occurs again. Treat it like your solo in a boat with a double on, use the motor to keep the other line tight, only let your buddy have the fun of fighting them both. The hard part may very well be hooking the fish. But the tug is the drug, there is not disputing that!!

If you do not agree.....okay...LOL. But that is what I am learning from your experience.
MY LETTER WORKED hahahasahsahdasjd

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:57 pm

returnofthefish wrote:Anybody think the judge from ffs case had a discussion with fish and game? What a coincidence of the court case monday and this new rule.
Wouldn't you like to have been a fly on the wall for THAT conversation? I WOULD.
Tom.

Interests: living

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:09 pm

returnofthefish wrote:Anybody think the judge from ffs case had a discussion with fish and game? What a coincidence of the court case monday and this new rule.
no way its a coincidence, i would imagine the warden ticketed several people for the same thing, all of which got the ticket thrown out and the judge got a little angry at the whole thing...

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:10 pm

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
no way its a coincidence, i would imagine the warden ticketed several people for the same thing, all of which got the ticket thrown out and the judge got a little angry at the whole thing...
What if a couple of others were in the courtroom, with F-in-F waiting there turn to dispute the very same infraction. And they took the feaks leed and beat the rap too! And the ball starts rolling towards a "fishing rule change".

The rule says it is specific to Sockeye. Does that mean trout and Kokanee would not apply, here or in any lake?

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Amx wrote:
Wouldn't you like to have been a fly on the wall for THAT conversation? I WOULD.
Judge - What are your game wardens doing? Ive thrown out these bogus tickets all day!!!!

WDFW - Well sir, based on individual wardens interpretations of the regulations, they felt a violation occurred.

Judge - What you need to do is train these guys to be on the same page. No gray area. Do you know how much revenue in taxes these fisherman bring to my county? I dont have the exact number, but its a lot!!!! Dont you scare them all away with these outrageous tickets.

WDFW - Ok sir, We will send out a press release allowing full boat rules tomorrow.

Judge. Im still so angry being here, My wife and kids could be cleaning our limit of 24 sockeye. GET OUT MY OFFICE NOW!!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:03 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^ hahah EXACTLY how it happened, you forgot to add the judge saying at the end "OH and by the way, I will be reeling in ALL 24 sockeye for my entire family on the boat, and theres NOTHING you can do about it."

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Just plain ol wow. Im all for wardens and having actual laws enforced, but just wow hahaha Thanks FF for the new rule change :D

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:49 pm

ResQ wrote:Just plain ol wow. Im all for wardens and having actual laws enforced, but just wow hahaha Thanks FF for the new rule change :D
hahahaha no problem

reelinanrockin
Petty Officer

Post by reelinanrockin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Well I guess we can let it die now. [thumbup]

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:11 pm

Im glad it all worked out for you. The WDFW dont do a good job for the sportsman at all. Ive had my fair share of problems with them. The rule book is ok but if you dont have internet then you wont know of emergency closures and rule changes but are expected to know. I could dive in deep but dont need to I hope someone from the wdfw reads how messed up there are. Im very glad how the out come of the dumb ticket worked out and I think this has a play in the rule change. Judges have more things to worry about like drug dealers and such and most of them are sportsman as well. I found out of the change a few days ago at hook line and sinker and thought of you. I also seen you out on the water at the kok derby on stevens. See you on the water.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Since this thread won't end, why don't we put a sticky on it and call it WDFW Bashing. [rolleyes]

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Criticizing our elected representatives and officials is a time-honored part of the American culture, dating back to the American Revolution.

With all due respect to Marc, I think it’s good to have an outlet for people to express their frustrations. Representatives of WDFW I’m sure have read the thread and have a greater appreciation of the frustrations some anglers deal with, and, people that have been following this thread have a greater understanding of the rules and regs that apply to this fishery. It has certainly given me pause to make sure that I’m following the regulations correctly, and to that extent I think it’s been very helpful for anglers. Our Regs ARE extremely complex, I don’t think many would argue that point.

I’m pretty sure every person that has commented on this thread would agree that we want WDFW wardens to find and ticket violators of the regs, especially violations that are blatant and severely impact our fisheries. We want people to play by the rules, but it’s hard when the rules get too difficult to follow. Thankfully, we do have a way for anglers to contest tickets they believe are unfair. I think all and all this has been a fascinating example of how our Founding Fathers created an amazing system of government with checks and balances to protect the people from the risk of tyranny of those in positions of power.

For the most part, this thread has been a pretty fair dialog, and I thank everyone that has kept things civil.

JMHO.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:18 am

Good job FF .... now all i wanna do is come back home for some baker laker action!