opinions on the perfect rod/reel combo

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TroutSnipr
Commander

Re: opinions on the perfect rod/reel combo

Post by TroutSnipr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:35 pm

zefsidefishing wrote:there is just so many reels to choose from, and i dont want to keep wasting money, i wanna just buy a good quality , well working reel, spinning reel. which would you suggest? willing to spend up to like 180 max, depending on reel.
As you can see in my signature I am an avid Pflueger reel fan. The Presidents I have are butter smooth and a 10+1 bearing design. They have an oiled felt drag system that is easy to service and provides 10+ lbs of drag in a 30-35 size which is fine for steelies/springers. You can find them pretty much everywhere for about $50-60. The Pflueger Arbors are also very nice as they have a larger diameter spool which make for longer casts and run about $70-80. These reels are EXTREMELY hard to beat in the bang for the buck category.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 pm

bad thing is once you go high end high modulous you never go back to average fishing graphite rod. everything else seem mushy and sloppy but hey what do i know :-k
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 pm

Shimano spirex 4000. holds a good amount of 20 lb line, i have 4 of these reels i wouldnt reccomend them if i didnt like them. There one of my favorites. especially only for $56. 95
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:31 pm

TroutSnipr wrote:
zefsidefishing wrote:there is just so many reels to choose from, and i dont want to keep wasting money, i wanna just buy a good quality , well working reel, spinning reel. which would you suggest? willing to spend up to like 180 max, depending on reel.
As you can see in my signature I am an avid Pflueger reel fan. The Presidents I have are butter smooth and a 10+1 bearing design. They have an oiled felt drag system that is easy to service and provides 10+ lbs of drag in a 30-35 size which is fine for steelies/springers. You can find them pretty much everywhere for about $50-60. The Pflueger Arbors are also very nice as they have a larger diameter spool which make for longer casts and run about $70-80. These reels are EXTREMELY hard to beat in the bang for the buck category.
I bought the Pflueger president 6935 a few months back and liked it so much I bought another for my back up Rod and bought one for my girlfriend. Has a real good feel and super smooth can't beat it for the price. I have a Lamiglas cerified pro 8-17 8 "6 for Rod super light good back bone and sensitive tip and lifetime warranty.

jknab
Angler

Post by jknab » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi. I'm a recent transplant from the Rockies, looking to put aside my trout fishing habit for a bit and try to learn how to fish steelhead and salmon. I just picked up an Okuma Connosuier 8'6" M for a good deal, and was looking at ordering a Pflueger Pres. 6935 for it. Would this be a good all-around setup? Hope so, because it would get me into the sport at a very nice price!
Thanks

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:42 pm

jknab wrote:Hi. I'm a recent transplant from the Rockies, looking to put aside my trout fishing habit for a bit and try to learn how to fish steelhead and salmon. I just picked up an Okuma Connosuier 8'6" M for a good deal, and was looking at ordering a Pflueger Pres. 6935 for it. Would this be a good all-around setup? Hope so, because it would get me into the sport at a very nice price!
Thanks
My second rod is a okuma sst works good for me .

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:38 pm

A lot of choices for rod reel set ups.

I have a few set up

mooching set up lami mooching rod with a Abu garcia

a couple bait cast set ups

8.6 okuma guide select (lifetime warranty) 80.00 roughly with a 201e curado.

9.6 Okuma sst same reel curado 201e

10'6 shimano calrus (spelling) with a 301e curado.

10'6 shimano convergence with a 201e I swap one of the 201es around depending on what rod i feel like fishing with.
spinning setups

10.6 lami with a 400 shimano sahara

9.6 okuma sst with another shimano sahara 400

I have a few other set ups

as for the rods I look for a warranty first then the feel of the rod. my most expensive set up honestly has not caught me close to the amount of first my other rods have. but then again I do not fish with it all that much in the river being it is a mooching rod.

my go to rods for drift fishing I like a bait caster. and that my okuma guide select and also my clarus... for float fishing I like the Lami ... lots of play on the tip...

the most expensive part I spend money on is the reel. but the new style curados IMO are Garbage. if you can find the older style without the plastic pick one of those up they are the good ones...

these are all just my personal preference's for a budget fisher.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:32 am

jknab wrote:Hi. I'm a recent transplant from the Rockies, looking to put aside my trout fishing habit for a bit and try to learn how to fish steelhead and salmon. I just picked up an Okuma Connosuier 8'6" M for a good deal, and was looking at ordering a Pflueger Pres. 6935 for it. Would this be a good all-around setup? Hope so, because it would get me into the sport at a very nice price!
Thanks
I think you'll be happy with that setup. It's bang for the buck quality gear. If you start doing enough fishing that you want to start getting technique specific gear like a longer/lighter action float/drift rod and a heavier action plunking rig we can help you out there too. :cheers:
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

jknab
Angler

Post by jknab » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:22 am

Thanks for the advice. With the price of that setup, adding another one a bit down the road is totally feasible.
Also, all of the President reels i have seen online have left-hand retrieve. Can you switch the handle to the other side, or do I have to hunt down a right-hand reeling model? Thanks again...

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:56 am

yeah you can switch the handle around.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson