who wants to talk about steelhead??

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:who wants to talk about steelhead??

Post by A9 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:44 pm

Yep that will work, just make sure to work the spinners as close to the bottom as you can get. Size 3 and 4 for the blue foxes, and little cleo's will work great, and rvrfshr spoons are probably one of the most popular new lures to hit the steelhead/salmon spinner market...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:57 pm

i heard that #5 is the size to go with is that to big for some steelhead or does the 3 and 4s just work better
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:00 pm

i went to joes and sportmans the other day loes had more blue foxes i picked up a number 5 with a blue bell and red everything else it was the only 1 left and both stores and both store had none in the back they said they go really fast so i figures it must work have u tried it or heard about it?

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:39 pm

Unfortunatly last year was a slow year at my secret river, but we did get several nice steelies. the first one caught by yours truely on a steelie spoon in the photo it is being released, and the bottom one caught by my father on orange/pink yarn and EGG ClUSTERS!!
Attachments
S6000309.JPG
S6000309.JPG (345.39 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
S6000405.JPG
S6000405.JPG (421.08 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:53 am

fished below mcnary dam this week-end fpr walleye and bass. lots of steelheader's. went to ice harbor to view the fish going thru dam. there were some "monsters" flying by the viewing window. the bank guys said black rock dancer jigs, with red shrimp, under a slip bobber. im going to try and get over saturday, it has been a few years since i caught one, but they truly peel of the line!!! good luck!!

Lyndon
Petty Officer

Post by Lyndon » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:56 pm

Unless somebody tells me different I am pretty convinced that the color if the bell on spinners does not make any difference. Only the color of the spinner is what matters. Does anyone know that I am wrong?

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:21 pm

yea some fisherman swear there luck by the color of their lures, but some just think it is the action of the lure not the color. dont get me wrong some colors will get you more strikes on some occasions but for the most part it depends on the water clarity and the light outside, i personally have a trout spinner (rooster tail) that will only for work me when there is a lot of light shining on the water, and i have tested this theory on one accasion when i was brown trout fishing at lacamas lake and it was a semi-cloudy day and when the sun would break out i would tie on my rooster and get nailed almost as soon as it hit the water, but once the sun went away nothing and when i wouldent get any hits i would change to a kastmaster or a bluefox. it just depends on the conditions in which you are fishing. i know this reply got a little wordy but it is the honest truth.

p.s on that day me and my brother came home with 10 nice 12-14 inch fat browns and had c & r 'ed over 15 smaller ones in the same day. feel free to look at the lacamas lake reports and search for it because it was a great day and when i wrote the report i probably explained it better.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:10 pm

I think you are right Fisherman_max. I think lighting and color play a part in the way fish see what you are offering them. Lewis (lskiles) told me about a book that uses color technology to catch more fish. I have been using this for the Salmon I have been catching because the rain would change the color of the river so I would use a little different color scheme. I have done ok. It is good to try things out and then remember the conditions, too.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:48 pm

From what I have heard, It is best to use Bronze and Gold colored spinners in the Bright sun and use Silver and Flashy colors in the Overcast cloudy days. A fish may get blinded by the spinner and be forced to swim away from it. But if the spinner is just flashing at a slow and steady pace that isnt too over powering, It will definitely have a go at it.

For steelhead, I dont think Color or spinners make a difference. If you make sure u cast a few feet past the Steelhead and reel it close to there face, they wont just let it pass by. Basically if you get the spinner in front of a Steely, It will attack it without a regret. The hardest part about steelhead fishing, isnt located or getting them to bite, Its trying not to spook them. They can feel and hear the slightest sound through the ground, So you need to move slowly and watch out for sticks and loose rocks.

I havent caught much steelhead myself, but from all the info I have gained from others I know this to be so. Good luck, and watch your step!
If in doubt set the hook!

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:11 pm

i went to joes today to get somestuff for steelhead got my bonus at work so i decided to get a bunch of stuff i got #4 purple bell silver spoone blue fox spinner and #4 blue bell silv er spoon and a #5 fire tiger also and a lighted fire tiger wiggle wart and some thing a found called alure a lighted wiggle wart lookin thing and a few different kinds of slip bobbers spent 35bucks so i hope i catch something this weekend!!!!15 POUNDERRRRRRRR

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:01 pm

LOL rite on! Most of the time Spinners will work better than Spoons, but They both work. I have never tried Wiggle Warts for Steelhead, But Im guessing they would work best from a boat, rather than from land. I have only fished for steelys off land, but I have only heard of ppl fishing deep divers off a boat. You can try w/e you like, You never know, Maybe wiggle warts work better than spinners or spoons, but I would recommend asking and getting a few opinions from WL members before u go out and spend a bunch more $$$$$$.

Gj on the Bonus from work, I wish I could get 1 :clown:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If in doubt set the hook!

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:46 pm

any1 do any steelhead fishing lately??

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:22 pm

i know the1fishingpro has fished a little bit cuzz i was supposed to be with him#-o but i guess school and football has to come before fishing right now:-# (i cant believe i just said that) anyway next weeik i am going to hit the steelhead really hard so ill tell you then
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:47 pm

well first of all fishing comes first ALWAYS (lol) and good luck take pictures!

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:27 pm

yup defanitly most fisherman wont believe you if you dont have pitures t prove your catch

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:45 pm

I don't know football is pretty important to...

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:08 pm

yep haha thats why i am happy it is about over so i can get back out on the water!

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:59 pm

football important yes but not more important thatn fishing!!

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:04 pm

oh i went to a place i heard about its called black sheepwent thur to get this really goodsteelhead lure this guy said u can only get it thur called a lazer lurehe caught 3 steelhead in 3 hourswith it, its coardle an or how ever you spell it everything there was at least 20-50% cheaper than any other place i have ever been and a way bigger selection! check it out if its not to far from you i went 45 min to get hur but it was worth it!!!!!

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14 pm

cordelane? my aunt lives there, and we always go to the river cordelane river and catch monsterous cutties on being 24 inches! not even joking and it had a weird crook in its spine to so it couold have been a 25-26 inch cuttie he was caught on a rainbow bluefox spinner, man i love those things

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.