Where is best to catch the BIG CATFISH??

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
cbarlow253
Angler

Where is best to catch the BIG CATFISH??

Post by cbarlow253 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Whats the best lake around pierce county or surrounding counties for catfish. I fish ohop quite often for cats but the biggest ive got is about 2 pounds. I would love to go after some big boys around 10 pounds or larger. Do they exsist and if so what lakes have them. I know harts used to have channel cats stocked but havnt herd about one being cought there in years.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Re: Where is best to catch the BIG CATFISH??

Post by TroutSnipr » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:46 pm

I've investigated the options of Wet-side catfishing and determined if I do manage to actually catch one it will be less than exciting. The biggest one over here that I have heard was about 4 lb Channel cat taken out of Gissberg ponds in Snohomish county.
There was an article from last year http://nwsportsmanmag.com/2011/10/18/25 ... -wa-lakes/ to quote:
From the top, the waters include:

Terrell, west of Ferndale, 5,000

Fazon, south of Everson, 500; has been planted 10 times in the past

Campbell, on Fidalgo Island, 4,000; has been planted seven times in the past

Gissberg Ponds/Twin Lakes, in Smokey Point, 500 each; have been planted eight times in the past

Green, in Seattle, 3,500; has been planted seven times in the past

St. Clair, southeast of Lacey, 3,500; first ever planting

Lawrence, south of Yelm, 4,000; first ever planting

Chambers, west of Lacey, 800; has been planted three times in the past

Swofford, southeast of Mossyrock, 2,000

Kress, north of Kalama, 500
You may find cats elsewhere but its mainly going to be bullheads that just don't get that big.

The Eastside is really where its at. The state record cat came out of a really small lake/pond (like maybe 30 acres) that was a reclaimed gravel pit from the I-82 highway construction project I-82 pond #6 http://www.washingtonlakes.com/LakeInfo ... d=8539&t=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Other than that you'd be looking at other Eastside lakes or rivers like the Tri-Cities area where nice cats can be taken on the Yakima, Snake, and Columbia rivers.

There was a pretty long thread about this a while ago here http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/vi ... =2&t=13812
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Yeah. Snake, Yakima, and Palouse seem to be where it's at.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:09 pm

I have seen big catfish at Harts and one big brown (black) bull head that would could have eaten the big channel cat for an appetizer. Just the width of the head was the size of my had about 8 inches. It was enormous, July 29th, 2007.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Jigking Fishhead
Petty Officer

Post by Jigking Fishhead » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:25 am

Texas, Georgia, Anywhere in the Carolina's and Oklahoma are big cat country.. LOL
I have $60,000 invested in a boat, motor, gear and baits all to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea. I wouldn't have it any other way.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Harts or Swofford Pond
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T-Bone
Petty Officer

Post by T-Bone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:48 am

I formally lived in Ferndale, near Lake Terrell and saw several photos of channel catfish in the 20lb range taken from the lake. One very good catfisherman used orange PowerBait to catch them and the large rainbows present in the lake. Catfish have been stocked for years in Lake Terrell; so some very large fish are possible. Boaters catch the majority of the fish, but one of the big catfish photos was by a dock fisherman in the Spring.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:05 pm

For Pierce County,I would suggest Harts Lake http://www.washingtonlakes.com/LakeInfo.aspx?id=52&t=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Swofford Pond by Riffe(Mossyrock) might be another great option