How do you report a new possable state record fish?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
cbarlow253
Angler

How do you report a new possable state record fish?

Post by cbarlow253 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 am

I tried searching the WDFW page and can find a list of all the state record fish. However there isnt any information on how to report your catch and get it officailly weighed. Does anyone know how you go about reporting the catch?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: How do you report a new possable state record fish?

Post by Amx » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:34 am

Call the office in Mill Creek. They can tell you where most of the agents are, if they can witness the weigh-in.

Get the fish weighted at a store with a certified scale with a witness like a WDFW agent or police officer. LOTS of pictures.
Tom.

Interests: living

geljockey
Petty Officer

Post by geljockey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:26 am

The WDFW Fresh and Saltwater Sportfish Records webpage can be found here:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/records/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I copied the following from the webpage:

Caught A Record?

•Have you caught a fish that you think might surpass a current state record?

•Do you know what to do next?

•Steps To Take

1.The most important step is to get the fish weighed as soon as possible on a certified scale.

2.Obtain the signatures of the scale operator and one other witness to the weighing.

3.Next, take the fish to a Department of Fish and Wildlife office for verification.

4.Click here (http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/records/bigf ... cation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to download an application package.
The application includes a map and list of area and district biologists who can complete verification (Part C). You can also pick an application package up in person from a WDFW regional office near you.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:09 pm

cbarlow253 wrote:I tried searching the WDFW page and can find a list of all the state record fish. However there isnt any information on how to report your catch and get it officailly weighed. Does anyone know how you go about reporting the catch?
start by posting a picture on here so we can all see what you caught!!!!! :cheers: [flapper] [laugh] [woot] [thumbsup] [tongue] [razz]

cbarlow253
Angler

Post by cbarlow253 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:39 pm

Thank you for all the responces deffinatly helps.

cbarlow253
Angler

Post by cbarlow253 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:53 pm

bugmasta wrote:
cbarlow253 wrote:I tried searching the WDFW page and can find a list of all the state record fish. However there isnt any information on how to report your catch and get it officailly weighed. Does anyone know how you go about reporting the catch?
start by posting a picture on here so we can all see what you caught!!!!! :cheers: [flapper] [laugh] [woot] [thumbsup] [tongue] [razz]
It was really nothing special I cought a Rock Bass on Kapowsin that I thought was decent size. threw it back then was doing some research. I would almost guarantee it was bigger then that . I know thats not really some crazy size trophy fish. It would have been cool to see my name on the record report thow.

yooper_fisher
Lieutenant

Post by yooper_fisher » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:11 pm

I've done the same thing in other states with "trash fish." It's good size but not worth keeping (my thought has always been, it'll make a kid happy if he catches this). It's still out there, and don't forget the world record's have line class (I figure an 8" perch on 100lb test might get my name in, lol)