Brand New Reel For Sale

Have extra equipment just lying around? Need a larger boat or want to sell your current one? Post an ad in our Classifieds forum for swift results. Please, private parties only, no businesses (business please e-mail WL.com for advertising options.
DannyLeslie
Warrant Officer

Brand New Reel For Sale

Post by DannyLeslie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Im selling a brand new baitcaster reel, it has maybe 10 casts on it. I just didnt like it very well and thought maybe someone on here will. Its a Quantum Kinetic PT100. If you are interested shoot me a PM or post here. Reel was originaly $70.00 new

This is the reel, pay no mind to that price they have listed.

http://fishfreakonline.com/quantumkinet ... hwodnm1X0w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fishing is more than life. It's a passion.

2012 Season Stats

Silvers-0
Kings-0
Sockeye-1
Steelhead-0
Sea Run Cutthroat-2
Trout-39

returnofthefish
Captain

Re: Brand New Reel For Sale

Post by returnofthefish » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Wow, that was fast. I had wicked bird nests the first time I went to the lake with a baitcaster. It was so bad, I had to take it home and cut the bird nest out with a knife. I respooled and kept at it. Once you get use to it, its a joy to use.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:39 pm

I agree (that if this is your first baitcaster) to just get a big spool of cheap line, put a nice heavy bank sinker on it, and take a sharp pair of line scissors with you to the park. Set the spool control to max and just keep at it. If you have the dexterity somewhere this side of a rhinoceros It will get easier I promise. If this is just your newest baitcaster of many and it sucks compared to your favorite one, then disregard my advice.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:39 am

Furthermore, take that big spool of cheap line and take some of it off. It will be easier to avoid backlashes with a spool that is 3/4 or even 2/3 full.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:49 am

I was thinking big spool because cutting out the birds nest is going to require many refills of the reel, but I agree that under filling the reel will decrease the backlash chances as well.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

DannyLeslie
Warrant Officer

Post by DannyLeslie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Still for sale. Screwed up again on me today..
Fishing is more than life. It's a passion.

2012 Season Stats

Silvers-0
Kings-0
Sockeye-1
Steelhead-0
Sea Run Cutthroat-2
Trout-39

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:56 am

If you want to give it one more shot I'll teach you how to use it. Message me if you want to figure out a time to meet up, I live in bothell so pretty close.

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Yeah man, don't give up! Start with a heavy weight and work your way lighter.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Get back on that horse! TIghten the brake and use heavier weights. Once you get use to it, loosen the brake.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:59 pm

I was on the river the other day casting way out in the middle with my baitcaster (all I use anymore) and remembering a couple years ago watching other guys do the same thing and thinking "I'll NEVER be able to do that with this damn thing! ](*,) ". When learning I would walk to the nearest high school football field as often as possible and just cast>retrieve over and over, with different weights, at different distances. Eventually it stuck.

For backlash, just go to a field, let out as much line as you feel you are going to cast, wrap a piece of black tape around your spool and reel in the line. That way, your backlash will only be so deep/ Then like other said - practice!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Never cut your backlash line no matter how bad it is. This works every time, sometimes it takes a handful
of trys to get it out.
Cast first, worry later.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:18 pm

One more chance is all its getting. Been out twice with it and it's backlashed both times.

Btw, this is DannyLeslie. Not sure why I can't log into my other account
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Cool, never heard of the thumb trick. I'll have to try it next time.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

bass kickin redneck
Petty Officer

Post by bass kickin redneck » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Don't be afraid to use the brake until you get better that's what i did now im a pro lol at least i think so
Shut up and fish

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:57 pm

DannyL wrote:One more chance is all its getting. Been out twice with it and it's backlashed both times.

Btw, this is DannyLeslie. Not sure why I can't log into my other account
Sounds like you need to spend time practicing with it. I practiced getting use to the feel of thumbing it while watching tv for weeks. There is a learning curve to using a baitcaster. Make sure you use the cast control knob and set all the brakes on. Start lobbing at least 1/2oz weight at a park. Dont worry about distance at first. The youtube post of getting backlashes out works for me too. I would also recommend using some cheap line like Berkely Big Game 12 pound line. Its only 6-7 bucks at Walmart for over 1000 yards. Go through as much line as you need until you get it down.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:46 am

Yep that would be my advice too. The other thing is to follow the manufacturers instructions for setting up and adjusting the reel for what you are casting. I know the Quantum instructions are quite detailed. This is one instance where you want to RTFM. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. It's very much like fly casting, it takes a lot of practice.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:08 am

Quite frankly, it's possible to become proficient in the art of baitcasting in a few hours if you have someone teaching you. As such, my offer still stands.

fishnazzi
Warrant Officer

Post by fishnazzi » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:57 pm

so........if you will ship it.........

i'll buy it..........let me know!!

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:13 am

rcthepirate wrote:Quite frankly, it's possible to become proficient in the art of baitcasting in a few hours if you have someone teaching you. As such, my offer still stands.
This is certainly true. I have a cheap baitcast (notorious for backlash) that my 8 year old wanted to cast with. He specifically asked if he could try it! Within about an hour he was casting it with relative ease, and only had a handful of backlashes to take care of. 8 years old! Wish I had been that proficient when I was 16! kids these days.... He is learning fast! =D>

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:20 am

dougw wrote:
rcthepirate wrote:Quite frankly, it's possible to become proficient in the art of baitcasting in a few hours if you have someone teaching you. As such, my offer still stands.
This is certainly true. I have a cheap baitcast (notorious for backlash) that my 8 year old wanted to cast with. He specifically asked if he could try it! Within about an hour he was casting it with relative ease, and only had a handful of backlashes to take care of. 8 years old! Wish I had been that proficient when I was 16! kids these days.... He is learning fast! =D>
Makes me wonder if all that thumb dexterity from video games and texting that we didn't have when we were kids helps em learn it a bit easier.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker