Road Trip

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Skullduggery
Petty Officer

Road Trip

Post by Skullduggery » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm heading out Wednesday for a little road trip. Wednesday, I need to get from here to Walla Walla. Thursday, I'm driving from Walla Walla to Boise, Idaho and ultimately Twin Springs Idaho. I'll be making the same trip in reverse on Sunday and Monday. I might switch my plans to come back through Portland on the way back to add some fishing opportunities.

If you were me, where would you stop to bank fish? I'm trying to figure out how far I can get in the morning before I lose any semblance of a morning bite. Would the Yakima river be a good idea? I'm open to any suggestions, and I will check the regs and do the research if you mention a good spot.

Skullduggery
Petty Officer

Re: Road Trip

Post by Skullduggery » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:24 pm

I ended up fishing the Yakima on the way over. It was a beautiful hike down to the water, and a hot one on the way back. I was thinking apple country, and I got a lot of cactus and sage. I also ended up with ticks, and having to scour myself and gear after my adventure. Was a little late for the bite, but caught a little Jack and let it free. Didn't witness anyone else catch anything, so I figured I was one up.
In Idaho, I couldn't commit to a particular day I could fish, also the rules were slightly confusing about where I would be, a stop by Cabela's said "blown out" for the river I would be at, so I ended up not buying a license. Mistake. The Middle fork of the Boise River was stunning and fishtastic.. It was high and fast when I was there, but I could see fish grouping in a pool just below the "swimming hole" we went to. I just drooled a bit, but kept my senses and left the rod in the truck. Also started to get eaten alive by mosquitos.
On the way back, I stopped at the Walla Walla River mouth, and witnessed some catfish catching. I had a two or three pounder on, and out of the water, but I was fishing off a bridge, and it sort of wobbled off the line before I could net it. I ended up landing a big bluegill of all things, but decided I would just as soon loose a single Bluegill as buy ice to keep it cold til I got home to Seattle. A lot of confusion among young anglers about the carp that are in there. I couldn't tell sometimes if some of the jumpers were carp or cats, but the carp seemed pretty placid. I had some bites from other species by fishing under/near the carp, so don't be shy of them. Other folks fishing in the brush on the bank were chased onto the bridge by an inquisitive rattlesnake. I'd already had my tick experience, so was keeping to high ground. Though it might be general method to catch catfish by bottom fishing, the folks catching fish and the one I caught were all on worms under a bobbe, kept about 1/2 the way between the surface and the bottom.