Favorite Fly

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
shawn
Commander

Favorite Fly

Post by shawn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:24 am

What your all time Favorite Fly?I know the hatch has alot to do with your fishing.Mine would be a black or olive wooly bugger.Because it versatile and easy to tie.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

cavdad45
Commodore

RE:Favorite Fly

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:30 am

You nailed it on the Woolly Bugger. I like #14 Adams, #12 Elk Hair Caddis, #10 Muddler Minnow, #12 & #14 Pheasant Tail Nymphs, #10 Green Butt Skunks. I would like to try some of the big deer hair bugs for bass but I cannot cast them too well. Too much wind resistance.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:04 pm

cavdad45 wrote:You nailed it on the Woolly Bugger. I like #14 Adams, #12 Elk Hair Caddis, #10 Muddler Minnow, #12 & #14 Pheasant Tail Nymphs, #10 Green Butt Skunks. I would like to try some of the big deer hair bugs for bass but I cannot cast them too well. Too much wind resistance.
I've caught a few bass on a olive hares ear nymph.A little easier to cast.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:46 pm

That's a good all around pattern, too. And easy to tie.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:48 pm

chironomids hatch 12 months out of the year.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:38 pm

My most effective and favorite fly is a pattern that I came up with called the Wooly Leech. I tie it in black, wine, olive and brown.
Attachments
Wooly_Leech_1.JPG
Wooly_Leech_1.JPG (138.58 KiB) Viewed 3294 times

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:35 pm

Nice tie marc. Never seen a red one like that.

I think about half the fly's in my flyfishing tacklebox are black woolly buggers (with and without those little bead thingys on the heads).

Man I've caught a lot of trout on those darn things and they even worked for
coho in the estuaries of the east river when I fished coho in alaska some years back.

15 pound coho on a black woolly bugger. What a blast. They take you deep into the backing twice before
you can pull the barbless and let them go.

But i'm finding that the greens and the browns can be more effective in some lakes during some seasons. The greens in western WA and the Browns on the east side.

But no time for fly fishing right now. I live almost walking distance from the blue creek access on the Cowlitz river and we're having a heck of a coho run this year. Going to start working it next week. Be watching for pictures and reports.
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:19 pm

littleriver wrote:But i'm finding that the greens and the browns can be more effective in some lakes during some seasons. The greens in western WA and the Browns on the east side.
I have experienced seasonal preferences and even time of day likings. Oddly, the wine (red) works best during the early morning and late afternoon. Black seems to produce better mid day. The olive color produces best results during the spring and fall. I think that is because they may be feeding on damsel fly nymphs. Figuring out the fishes daily appetite preferences can be very frustrating.:chef:

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:37 am

Elk Hair Caddis, hands down. Easy to tie and a good year-round dry.
Here is a pic of my favorite. Always works. (when the time it right)
http://homepage.mac.com/riverwader/.Pic ... tion74.htm
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:24 am

My go to is a size 12 bead head pheasant tail, I have caught Rainbow, Cutts, Dollies, Browns, Pan Fish, LMB, SMB in both rivers and lakes on sink tips and on floating line in 7 states with that it.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:39 pm

Pheasant Tails are great. I use them in several colors, with and without bead heads.

In Lakes I tend to use zebra chrironomids, blood worms and "buggers" of all types. My favorite bugger is a variegated olive/black with copper flash and a red bead head. This seems to work when nothing else will.

On the streams I use the pheasant tails a lot.

Dry flies I tie and use frequently are an extended body mayfly pattern and a "hank of hair" pattern that is "stupid" easy to tie and works remarkably well.

Recently I started using "Umbrella hooks" on all my dry patterns. These hooks have a 80 degree bend about 1/3 the way down the shank that acts like a keel, keeping the fly upright at all times. This has made the patterns I tie much more affective and make hooking almost automatic.

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:32 pm

id have to say a hopper is my go to, or a crystel olive matuka

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:59 am

Rooscooter wrote:Pheasant Tails are great. I use them in several colors, with and without bead heads.

In Lakes I tend to use zebra chrironomids, blood worms and "buggers" of all types. My favorite bugger is a variegated olive/black with copper flash and a red bead head. This seems to work when nothing else will.

On the streams I use the pheasant tails a lot.

Dry flies I tie and use frequently are an extended body mayfly pattern and a "hank of hair" pattern that is "stupid" easy to tie and works remarkably well.

Recently I started using "Umbrella hooks" on all my dry patterns. These hooks have a 80 degree bend about 1/3 the way down the shank that acts like a keel, keeping the fly upright at all times. This has made the patterns I tie much more affective and make hooking almost automatic.
Rooscooter,
I'm curious about your extended body mayfly and your "hank of hair" pattern. Can you post some pics? Maybe we can tie up. Seems we live close to each other.
Joe
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:17 pm

Joe,
I recently moved to a new house and haven't set up my fly tying stuff. Once I get set up I will take a couple of photos and post them.

The "hank of hair" isn't my Idea. I found the patten online. Using one of the Umbrella Hooks I tie a stacked portion of dark deer hair over a base of colored thread. Cut the head at an angle and that's it! It floats great. I did remarkably well at Amber Lake early this year with this fly.

Follow this link and go to the bottom of the page: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4478

The extended body Mayfly is a little more difficult to tie. I make the extended bodies using a canvas stitching needle, thread and Fleximent. I finish the fly with CDC Puffs, some dubbing and matching hackles. The link above has an extended body Mayfly as well. This one is similar but I substitute CDC for the deer hair. I tie it in a few different colors.

Tight Lines!

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:54 pm

Rooscooter wrote:Joe,
I recently moved to a new house and haven't set up my fly tying stuff. Once I get set up I will take a couple of photos and post them.

The "hank of hair" isn't my Idea. I found the patten online. Using one of the Umbrella Hooks I tie a stacked portion of dark deer hair over a base of colored thread. Cut the head at an angle and that's it! It floats great. I did remarkably well at Amber Lake early this year with this fly.

Follow this link and go to the bottom of the page: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4478

The extended body Mayfly is a little more difficult to tie. I make the extended bodies using a canvas stitching needle, thread and Fleximent. I finish the fly with CDC Puffs, some dubbing and matching hackles. The link above has an extended body Mayfly as well. This one is similar but I substitute CDC for the deer hair. I tie it in a few different colors.

Tight Lines!
I couldn't find a fly call the "hank of hair" at that link. I sounds like a poor man's Elk Hair Caddis, only using deer hair. AM I right?
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:27 pm

Hmmm.....the link to the page seems to be going back to the index. It's a Java script issue. The site has some very good content but is difficult to use.

The "Hank of Hair" is under May 2006 Umbrella Callibaetis.

Tight Lines

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:56 am

Rooscooter wrote:Hmmm.....the link to the page seems to be going back to the index. It's a Java script issue. The site has some very good content but is difficult to use.

Tight Lines
Thanks, that looks like an easy tie. I like easy ties.
Joe
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:35 pm

Rooscooter wrote:Hmmm.....the link to the page seems to be going back to the index. It's a Java script issue. The site has some very good content but is difficult to use.

Tight Lines
Rooscooter,
I just tied up a couple of those "hank of hair" flies. I took a common size 16 dry fly hook and bent it about 45 degrees down. Then I dressed the shank behind the hook eye with olive 6/0 thread. Then I tied in a small hank of mule deer hair and finished it like it was an Elk Hair Caddis. WHAT A GREAT LOOKING FLY. I can hardly wait to fish it.
Thanks for the tip.
Here's the pic.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:30 pm

Joes Hopper fished wet catches all species all seasons. For a dry fly it would have to be a Renegade. I usually find that my favorite fly is the one at the end of a fishes mouth!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:48 pm

Joe-

Good looking fly. If you are anxious to try it out, you had better hurry!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”