Omak Lake Slaughter

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
MotoBoat
Commodore

Re: Omak Lake Slaughter

Post by MotoBoat » Wed May 30, 2012 3:13 pm

This thread is reading something similar to the Lake Sammamish thread. Where confusion was evident while discussing what was needed to legally launch a boat, and then park the tow vehicle and connected boat trailer. The posts were, the need for both boat ramp fee and Discover pass. Or just a discovery pass. Or a one day discovery pass and boat ramp fee. Or just a season boat ramp pass. Then yet another stating a boat ramp launch fee and day or annual discovery pass.......unless you were camping there, then another set of rules applied.

It is a no win situation filled with multiple interpretations. Best bet is to worry about it if and when your going to fish there. Call the phone number provided, interpret what they tell you and feel comfortable in the fact your fishing legally. Why would anyone take the word of another that is rambling on a website? Good talk!

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Wed May 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Fishenfreak I think you've got the right answer there. I'm finding out that my source was basing his interpretation off rules he's written in years past, where as this year things have changed. I'm talking with the Resident Fish Program Manager and getting some clarification but at this point it's looking like you're dead on. I'll paste in the replies as soon as I know more.

It's great to find out that the rules have changed but it's pain I found out this way, preaching the old rules.

CRW
Petty Officer

Post by CRW » Wed May 30, 2012 3:42 pm

OT. You guys keep mentioning Rufus Woods, is that a tribal lake?? I thought just one shore line was tribal.

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Wed May 30, 2012 3:58 pm

I kept mentioning it because I thought it was a good reference for catch and release in comparison to Omak Lake. I tried to find an answer for you but came up with nothing on who technically controls it. I think it's a joint operation between the state and the tribe since it's listed in both state and tribal pamphlets.

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Wed May 30, 2012 6:07 pm

fishenfreak wrote:BOTTOM LINE IS!!!!!!

I just called the office. Single barbless is ONLY required during the catch and release period. Once june 1st comes around, you can catch and release on any hooks, treble, single, barbed or not, as long as no bait is used. It only applies to catch and release periods, not the practice itself, straight from the Colville Office. There ya go, now we know for sure!
Just got my last reply from the resident fish program manager and he confirmed this for Omak Lake as well saying "If you plan to practice catch and release fishing in waters where catch and release fishing is not a special regulation you may do so with acceptable gear (as identified in regulations). This could be single, double or treble hooks." I won't go into great depth but fishenfreak's above quote pretty much nails it and the rules I've been following are out dated.

He also mentioned this which I believe is important. "I would however encourage anglers to harvest trout that are caught using barbed hooks. Trout are sensitive and mortalities associated with hooks is very common."

Most of my lures for Omak Lake are single barbless anyways since that's what the regulations used to be when I purchased them. I think I'll continue to fish it that way.

My apologies if I stirred up confusion for anyone.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu May 31, 2012 7:33 am

haah what a confusing topic! good to see we got an answer tho. I agree however, that if your gonna catch and release its a good idea to run barbless or single anyways, we tried to run singles on our rapalas, but it messed up the action, so we just went barbless, and were very careful and payed attention to the fish. If we were hurting them, we would have stopped. but most usually had one or two points from one hook in the lip, and were fine. Get out to Omak if you can sometime guys, its amazing!!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu May 31, 2012 8:14 am

More Omak Trivia: There is a fabled lake monster that dwells in her waters.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu May 31, 2012 8:17 am

Matt wrote:More Omak Trivia: There is a fabled lake monster that dwells in her waters.
Im hoping its a 12 foot long lahontan, and will someday bite a 3 foot long rapala if i run it.

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am

Matt wrote:More Omak Trivia: There is a fabled lake monster that dwells in her waters.
It's the Ogopogo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogopogo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It visits Omak Lake through underground waterways.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu May 31, 2012 12:30 pm

From my understanding there is speculation that the Omak myth is a confusion of the original myth of Ogopogo that orignated in BC. Many people believe that people simply confused the two lakes and the myth, but if you talk to elders who have seen the beast they will say differently. In native folklore, and speaking to elders, they will explain that the myth is explicit to Omak, and that a monster separate from the Oakanogan creature does indeed live there.

I am of Colville descent and my grandfather told me the story when I was a kid when we went down to the lake flyfishing for Lahontans when I was 12.

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Thu May 31, 2012 6:08 pm

Ever heard that the true depth of Omak Lake is unknown because the bottom is so erratic and that's where the beast hides? :)

Of course now you google it and it says 325 feet. haha

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Thu May 31, 2012 6:15 pm

Oh wow, found a little bit of the same rumor.

"Book Description
Publication Date: June 22, 2005
Omak Lake is an ancient body of water, about which the native Indian population holds significant cultural and religious views, which includes sightings of the Omak Lake Monster. The reported Omak Lake Monster had its true believers and debunkers. Since the sightings of the lake monster happen rarely, few native people cared to offer their views, leaving it to the true believers to spread the gospel about the marine lake monster. No one knows whether it is fish, marine mammal, reptile, amphibian or ancient marine dinosaur. Outside the native people, few people believe that a lake monster resides in Omak Lake. The true believers hold that Omak Lake is bottomless, though the lake has been surveyed and mapped many times.

Doubters of the stories of the Omak Lake Monster bring up the legendary Ogopogo, the Okanagan Lake Monster, British Columbia, Canada. They state the local Indians are attributing stories about Ogopogo of Okanagan Lake to Omak Lake. The true believers of the Omak Lake Monster state they are not confused, and they maintain there is a lake monster in Omak Lake. Thought not discounting exploits of Ogopogo, they believe the Omak Lake Monster is real and menacing to anyone not giving it space."

Quote description taken from http://www.amazon.com/Omak-Lake-Monster ... 059535923X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I remember hearing the bottomless part.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu May 31, 2012 8:18 pm

Yah they used to say (and elders still claim) that the lake is bottomless.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu May 31, 2012 8:21 pm

I guess my Humminbird has been wrong.

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Thu May 31, 2012 8:23 pm

The Quadfather wrote:I guess my Humminbird has been wrong.
lol

Jipper
Petty Officer

Post by Jipper » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:19 pm

amazing,that proves it,as one of the best trout fisheries in WA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fish: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>