Trolling Motor Battery Preference

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Shadow Caster
Petty Officer

Trolling Motor Battery Preference

Post by Shadow Caster » Thu May 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Looking for help to purchase a new battery for an 8' boat and looking for something with a 6-8 hour life for 2 people. Recommendations????????? So far looking at Sears Die Hard Marine batteries. Also a recommendation for a charger that won't burn down my home.

Thanks ahead of time.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: Trolling Motor Battery Preference

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu May 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Not just a marine batt, make sure it states deep cycle. I noticed recently a marine batt that didn't say deep cycle. When last I priced some up, Costco beat the competition by a couple bucks. Out at Chelan Wal Mart a couple weeks back, looked like a NICE monster for about $82, I didn't pick it up, heavier is better when it's lead. The new rave is those gell cells, lighter. I haven't used one so no advice there. Used to get die hards, I would never do it again...... They might be better now 25 years later, but I'll never get one again. Look into those gel cells, 8' boat, 2 guys, weight might be an issue.......... IDK

I do have a Sears charger, just 10 amp, charges just fine if you're not in a hurry. Bump up the amps, bigger charger, if you can't sleep on it a while. LOL
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Fri May 11, 2012 5:21 am

i like the mat batteries ... yep cost more ... yep weigh more .... you can waste a lotta money learn'n your leasons about batteries ... thing about the matt type batteries is they live to be drained down 'n charged bk up ... them die hards HATE that ... and when charge'n you can stuff 20 amps down their throat 'n they dont care ... re charge in a few hours ... my other comment ...

2 fat guys 'n gear 'n drinks/grub ... all day ? ... buy 2 of what ever ya get ... only takes a few mins to come in and switch out batts ... DOG

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri May 11, 2012 5:41 am

Don't judge a battery by its size or weight, that does not necessarily mean it will be money well spent. In your application, an electric trolling motor only, in an 8' boat, what you want is either a true deep cycle (my choice in your case) or a dual-purpose battery. Marine batteries are dual-purpose and function as both a start battery and a deep cycle.

Gel cells are not the rave, absorbed glass mat batteries (AGM) are, and they are very good. Check out this thread for more info on trolling motor batteries.

FWIW, the Sears DieHard Platinum marine batteries, which are AGMs, have outstanding performance and warranty (3 year free replacement) for the money. Made for Sears by Odyssey, they are one of the most desired and hottest selling batteries in the marine environment today. They are not the DieHard most of us, myself included, wouldn't buy. The Platinum is a premium battery and its performance as marine battery is top notch.

When shopping for a deep cycle battery, the number you want to use is reserve capacity, not cranking amps. I don't know what your budget is, nor how powerful your trolling motor is, but buy a deep cycle battery with the most reserve capacity you can find that fits your budget. The group 34m Platinum with 135 minutes reserve capacity is currently on sale for $165.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri May 11, 2012 8:16 am

If you can afford it go with the AGM batteries. Maintenance free!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri May 11, 2012 9:54 am

I also recommend an AGM.

Liquid cell deep cycle batteries, while cheaper and good if properly maintained, do not like to be discharged more than 50% as it will shorten it's life, especially if done so repeatedly.

Recommend reading:
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
and
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm

Although the links apply more to RVers, the info is good to know if you go with the cheaper wet cell battery for your trolling motor.

Getting a good trickle/float charger is recommended too.

Tight lines.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu May 17, 2012 9:44 pm

The thread linked by hewesfisher. I still have my Cabelas AGM battery. 2 years now and still going strong. I did convert from my trolling motor, to my new starting battery after 1 year. I now have another Cabelas AGM battery for my trolling motor, but it's a group 27 instead of the 24.

I just felt the specs of the group 24 didn't make sense. But I haven't had an issue with the group 24 running my units and starting the motor.

At the moment, highly recommend the Cabelas AGM batteries. They go on sale all the time. I picked up the group 27 for ~$145 before taxes.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri May 18, 2012 11:43 am

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles ... s-agm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AGM outsells gel 100 to 1. Link above describes the difference.

added later: Bentrod's articles are way better than what I posted.......

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri May 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Look into the warranties.

Sears platinum have the longest warranty,3 yrs Of course they're the most expansive.
Optimas are 2 years.
Cabelas are 18 months.

I have optima batteries. I had one for 8 years and it finally needed to be replaced. Bought another one. Doing research on a lot of sites. Seems like Sears Platinum had good comments. Optima had some bad and good. Cabelas seem to have the worst.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri May 18, 2012 2:35 pm

I don't know that much about these things, but I got my everstart at Walmart for 70 dollars. It's a normal deep cycle battery, and it runs my minnkota all day, and then a little bit more. It's super heavy, but it works well.

rpm10
Petty Officer

Post by rpm10 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Interstate sells a group 29 deep cycle with 210 minute reserve capacity for about $100 - Compared to a Trojan SC225 which is around $200.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat May 19, 2012 7:40 pm

rpm10 wrote:Interstate sells a group 29 deep cycle with 210 minute reserve capacity for about $100 - Compared to a Trojan SC225 which is around $200.
For $100, 210 minutes, if you don't mind checking the water occasionally, that sounds like a good deal! I've just have a costco battery, 115 minute, group 27, 4 1/2 years old, no complaints......... usually troll a 10' jon boat for 2 day trips before recharge....

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Sat May 19, 2012 9:28 pm

Costco. Their marine deep cycle is great. Bought mine in 2008 and its going strong.

Southpaw
Angler

Post by Southpaw » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:05 pm

I finaly stepped away from sears batteries they just did not hold up long enough for me. I have been using an Interstate battery for my trolling motor for 3 years now with no signs of not holding a charge which is what I found with the Sears line of deep cycles. Just my opinion. Dennis

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Interstate is one of the best. [thumbup] Trojan has been real good for me. I have 2 Optima batteries, one for starting, one for the trolling motor, I had 2 for the trolling motor, but one of the brand new batteries wouldn't take a charge and wouldn't last 4 1/2 to 5 hours and still wouldn't take a full charge, so took it back, they sent it to someplace and tested it and gave me another 'new' one. That Optima went bad after 3 years so no warranty. I still think they 'hotcharged/recharged' the battery and gave it back to me. I replaced it with an Interstate. Working fine after 2 years.
Tom.

Interests: living