Repair boat plug

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Kfedka
Commander

Repair boat plug

Post by Kfedka » Fri May 04, 2012 9:51 pm

After launching the boat in the water, it will leak several cups of water or more through the plug base then stop. Water specifically comes inside the boat from a specific spot at the plug area every time. I recall looking at it and when it get tightened it does so at a slight angle because of the way the circle for the plug is made with two layers of aluminum. How would I go about fixed this issue. Attached are image from top and bottom of boat. I'll try to get an image with the plug removed.
Attachments
boat plug bottom.jpg
boat plug bottom.jpg (46.79 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
boat plug top.jpg
boat plug top.jpg (46.09 KiB) Viewed 2653 times

hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Repair boat plug

Post by hewesfisher » Sat May 05, 2012 6:15 am

That's the weirdest drain plug "bung", and location, I've ever seen. [blink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat May 05, 2012 11:36 am

That is exactly what I was thinking. Knokck it clean off the bottom, weld a patch in place and put a tube in the stern. All I have to say is wow, it looks like the boats been around for a while, I can't believe it doesn't leak a lot worse, looking a the placement how far the plug sticks through and how beat up the guard is.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun May 06, 2012 1:55 am

I find it weird also, but more so interesting. Reminds me of my dad's thermos that had a cork stopper. A couple of ideas come to mind: 1. Do as Bodo suggests OR if your looking for a $10 fix> 2. use a smooth sided plug instead of ribbed
An additional thought comes to mind, if the gasket between the bottom protecting plate and the hull is leaking, it may pass by the sealed area of the plug, possibly until the gasket material absorbs some water and swells. Obviously, I don't know what that gasket material is from my living room waiting for my trout to finish smoking at 2:30 in the morning. LOL Fill in the U shaped area with silicone, after cleaning the dirt out and allowing to dry, fill it right up to the plug hole. If you have trouble finding a smooth sided plug at a marine store, try an auto parts store. They sometimes have those rinky rubber plugs designed for freeze plug replacements. I repaired an aluminum canoe that had a huge gash in it with silicone and duct tape as a kid, lasted 3 to 4 years before I had to do it again.
I gotta ask! Was this boat built in the 50s? I'd like to see a picture of the whole boat!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun May 06, 2012 5:16 am

I would like to see a picture of the sealing area with the plug removed. That would help with any recommendation I might make, although using a smooth sided plug may help.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Snowbird2008
Petty Officer

Post by Snowbird2008 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:45 am

Also if your drain plugs are old check and see if they may have cracks in em

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun May 06, 2012 2:21 pm

hewesfisher wrote:I would like to see a picture of the sealing area with the plug removed. That would help with any recommendation I might make, although using a smooth sided plug may help.
That seal lip just doesn't look that long enough for a standard ribbed plug. I'm curious about the seal of the bunghole plate to the hull.
LOL Just came to me, find an old cork plug that fits, gently bang it into the bunghole with a hammer! LOL CARRY a spare while under way!!!!!!! You can carry the spare cork in a full wine bottle so you can have some fun while bailing out the boat. LOL Just having fun........... Looking forward to hearing how it all worked out and a picture of the boat, gotta be from the 50s, I love old stuff.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun May 06, 2012 2:45 pm

As short as that bung is, maybe it's supposed to have a screw in plug? :scratch:
Tom.

Interests: living

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Sun May 06, 2012 4:58 pm

That is a typical location for the older boats. Mine is a '56 and I have the same thing. The only difference is that I have the original THREADED plug in mine. I never take it out as I am afraid that it would leak. I just depend on my pump.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun May 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Augwen wrote:That is a typical location for the older boats. Mine is a '56 and I have the same thing. The only difference is that I have the original THREADED plug in mine. I never take it out as I am afraid that it would leak. I just depend on my pump.
Mystery solved! Thanks! Threaded plug...........

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Sun May 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Bodofish wrote:That is exactly what I was thinking. Knokck it clean off the bottom, weld a patch in place and put a tube in the stern. All I have to say is wow, it looks like the boats been around for a while, I can't believe it doesn't leak a lot worse, looking a the placement how far the plug sticks through and how beat up the guard is.

It used to leak a lot, but spend couple hours to hammer in each and every rivet that we had access to which was about 99 percent of all rivets.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Sun May 06, 2012 9:57 pm

Augwen wrote:That is a typical location for the older boats. Mine is a '56 and I have the same thing. The only difference is that I have the original THREADED plug in mine. I never take it out as I am afraid that it would leak. I just depend on my pump.
Now that I look at it, mine is supposed to be threaded too, that would explain why it leaks. Where could I find a threaded plug, outboard store, lowes, ect?

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Mon May 07, 2012 5:08 am

You need to determine the size and the thread count. My boat is a Crestliner and it has a 1" plug with coarse thread. But as I have my original I did not need another one so I have never looked. It could very well be a standard type plug if your boat was made in America, they would have used a readily available plug. What brand of boat is it? And what year?

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Mon May 07, 2012 6:45 am

It's a Crestliner, not sure the year but its old. Probably similar year to yours since it has that type of plug. Found some plugs on ebay that are only 1/2" I need a 1" plug.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon May 07, 2012 11:53 am

Why not check out the local hardware store and try a pipe plug? Maybe-maybe not. Worth a try. Even tow the boat to the store and they'll probably let you carry a plug out to try. Use brass if they have one, & get an extra. And then use thread sealer also after you buy the plug.
Tom.

Interests: living

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Mon May 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Kfedka...you should go to "retrocrestliner.com" and check out the catalogs to see if you can find out what your boat is and what year. Mine is a 1956 Voyager. I also have a 1961 Flying Crest 17 that I am currently restoring. They have a lot of info about Crestliners. You might even find the original plug. A pipe plug would be galvanized material and might create a electrolisis problem if you use a battery. If you could find a stainless plug that would be better. Mine is actually the real old aluminum. A Brass one would work as mentioned above. Good Luck!!