Bass fishing near Yakima

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
PokeyPrasch
Petty Officer

Bass fishing near Yakima

Post by PokeyPrasch » Fri May 04, 2012 3:10 pm

I grew up in Yakima, but never fished around here much. Bass is my favorite freshwater catch (Except maybe Tigers) and I've always done well, everywhere but Yakima it seems. I've recently moved back and I'm exploring any areas with bass within an hour or so of Yakima, especially places off the highway that I pass on my commute to Pasco twice a week. In 6-7 trips I've caught 2 bass, both around 8", usually after a few hours without seeing anything, I start after trout just so I can say I caught something.

To the point:

I've tried I-82 Ponds 3, 4, & 5. Buena Pond, Fiorito. Where are the bass?

Is there some local trick?

P.S. No bass boat.
Batman Kiddie Pole

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: Bass fishing near Yakima

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri May 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Looks like 4 hours with no responses. I don't know Yakima all that well so while you're waiting, download this pub from WDFW find your region and read a bit. It gives some insight from the bios at WDFW about some lakes. "2012 Washington Fishing Prospects: Where to catch fish in the Evergreen State" http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01375/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My understanding is, any lake considered NEAR Yakima has bass....... There might be some that are killed off routinely to promote the trout fishery, but, after a short time of each kill off, bass are back in there.
Also, check the report section here at WALakes for any particular lake you have interest in. Best of luck!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Rocky
Angler

Post by Rocky » Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 pm

I grew up in Yakma to and any park with a pond, gravel pit pretty much any ponds a long the Yakma river had Bass
and carp.

PokeyPrasch
Petty Officer

Post by PokeyPrasch » Fri May 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for the replies, I've read most of the local reports and info on the lakes. So the problem must be me I guess.

Guess I'll keep at it.
Batman Kiddie Pole

Rocky
Angler

Post by Rocky » Fri May 04, 2012 8:29 pm

You said you are driving to the try cites for work the lower yakma river is thick with smallies and cat fish.
I would fish from Benton city all the way to the Columbia river good luck.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri May 04, 2012 9:01 pm

I just found a cool link! Check out your lake before you go....... Keep at it! Don't give up!
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/county/Yakima/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"