Newbie looking for answers ... depth

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
p.t.
Warrant Officer

Newbie looking for answers ... depth

Post by p.t. » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:46 am

I and my son started fishing just two months ago. Mostly we fish from fishing docks around Lake Washington beach parks. Water depth around these docks are mostly from 10 to 15ft. We did get some fish, but all we (and other anglers around us) got are little ones, around 5" - 8". 10" is already a "trophy size"! So I can't help but coming up with this theory: Big fishes are out there in deeper area. But how deep? 20ft? 30ft? I do have a little raft and want to take it out into the lake to give it a shot. But how deep should I go? Or maybe different species hang out in different depths?

Another question: I noticed that when the weather gets colder, fishing gets harder. Does it mean those fish hide in deeper area for warmth? If so, how deep? My theory is there is a certain threshold depth. Above this depth, the deeper the warmer. But if you go beyond that, the deeper the colder, because sunshine can't go that deep. Can anybody tell me if I'm right? And what's this optimal depth?

Thanks in advance.

Rthr_B_Fishn
Petty Officer

RE:Newbie looking for answers ... depth

Post by Rthr_B_Fishn » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:51 pm

Welcom everyone to newmember p.t.. welli have often wondered the same things, and thanks to the wonderfull help i get from this site and others like it. i beleive you are rite on the money, fish do hold out to different depths depending on weather and also the moons phases. if you have time read up in the forums. aLOT of valuable info here.. GL and Tite lines..

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:43 pm

p.t.

Good question, so please forgive me if the answsers seem a little long.

First, IN FISHERMEN TV and magazine has advacated a "formula" for some time that is something like FLP=success. Fish+Location+Presentation = success.

First, what kind of fish are you fishing for? For example, if you are catching up to 10" bluegill, you are catching whales. A 10" perch is not so bad either. On the other hand, a 10" rainbow or bass is nothing to brag about.

Next, based on the type of fish you are fishing for, what depth do they prefer. For example, bass seldom go deeper than about 15' unless it is cold or the water is crystal clear. I catch Large Mouth Bass in water as shallow as 1', deep into the weeds, and up to 8 pounds this year, as late as August. The air temperatures were as high as 100 degrees F. On the other hand, the large trout went deep, very deep, during that time.

In a large lake in Northern Idaho, the Rainbows and Macs are often 85' and deeper during the summer months. I have caught the Macs as deep as 150' deep.

As for water temperatures, you are right that depth equates to warmer water in the winter, up to a point. The water temperature with the greatest density is 39 degrees. That is the warmest water that you may find in a frozen lake. But if the water never gets colder than 39 degrees, than the warmest water can be at almost any depth in the lake.

You also need to consider desolved air. If oxygen is not present, and often it is not, at great depth, than you will have no fish.

Let's assume that you are fishing for trout. During the summer, 10' is just too shallow. During the winter months, the fish will actually come shallower because there is more food near the shore and the temperatures are lower. But during the summer months, 20' is perhaps almost a little too shallow.

Now, let's assume you are fishing for bass. 10' without weeds may be too deep. You need to fish the edges of the weeds, rocks, or other structure. During the winter months, the bass may indeed be as deep as 15' or 20', but because they are a warm water fish, they will be hard to catch.

Good luck on learning. With a little time, and some well asked questions, you will be catching soon.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

p.t.
Warrant Officer

Post by p.t. » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:39 am

Anglinarcher,

Thanks a lot for your very helpful tip. For now I guess I'll just look at shallower areas. But more importantly is to learn more about fish's life style.

Rfatt16
Warrant Officer

Post by Rfatt16 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:15 am

Right now is a tough time to get into fishing. Winter makes for a tough catch. Don't expect too much right now. Spring is the time.

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:16 pm

P.T.

We're running a "new member special" today...today only (LOL), as previously stated, fall / winter fishing can be discouraging to say the least. If you get out to Coulon Park in Renton, head out in your raft about a 100 ft (in front of the Boeing hangar, you'll see where it's REALLY shallow off the point, as soon as it drops off...STOP and throw a drop shot rigged with a drop shot worm, nose hooked. I think it's about 30'-50' ft there. Anyway, you MAY find a few smallies camped out. We've had a lot of success RIGHT THERE. Don't go too deep, stay right there at the drop off (or as soon as you can't see the weeds).

Remember...a bad day fishing with your son is a GOOD day...way to go!!!

Welcome to the site, lots of good people here that are willing to help.

Bassackwards
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless our brave men and women fighting to preserve our way of life!!!

p.t.
Warrant Officer

Post by p.t. » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:24 pm

Coulon Park? This is the second or third time I saw it mentioned on this web site. Las time when we saw it, my son asked me to take him there. Ok, for sure will give it a try. Thanks a lot. Btw, do you have a GPS coordiante for the spot you said at hand? lol

Yeah, fall/winter fishing is definitely not as pleasant as the summer, but my son is very very very much into fishing. Whenever he got time, like an hour before his soccer game, he'd ask me to take him out. And as for me, frankly, I'm more excited when he got a big fish than when I did. I guess all parents are like this, not just me. :-)