BBQ Grill recommendations

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

BBQ Grill recommendations

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm

I am in the market for a new grill. Of course over the years I've had charcoal little 16" round webers, which are nice just to get that charcoal flavor. My most recent grill was a gas weber Series B I think it was called.

I was wondering if some of you could way in on what your favorite grills are? A couple of my thoughts are these..
I do very much like the natural wood flavor of using wood LUMP charcoal on a charcoal grill, but i also have to keep in mind that the wife is all about the convience of gas. To me gas is quick, easy, easy clean, etc. but then... it doesn't impart any flavor to the food on it's own.
I do very much like the Weber brand gas grills because of their even heat, quality metal parts, etc. I find that many of the other brands, "Charbroil", Firemaster?? and pretty much anything outside of Weber seems to be cheaply built and inferiour metals.

I was kind of keen on The Green Egg grill. It is charcoal, but it is supposed to really heat well and even, and I have heard that it is a decent smoker as well. On that note, if you know of one that doubles well as a smoker, let me know.
I completly understand that no combo unit gas grill smoker, will smoke as well as a good smoker..... I am needing a grill.

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Re: BBQ Grill recommendations

Post by hanapaa808 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:30 pm

I really love my green mountain grille. Check them out!

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 am

We have both an infrared gas grill and a Green Egg. Love both of them. Use the infrared for all our general grilling needs and the Green Egg for smoking turkeys, tri-tip, pizza (absolutely outstanding pizza oven), baked pastas, rustic breads, smoking jerky, grilling oysters, baked fish, grilled fish, both pork and beef roasts, lobsters, roasting goat (yes goat...), meatloaf, gourmet burgers and many other culinary offerings. If you can cook it in an oven you can cook it in the Green Egg with more flavor and without heating up the kitchen. We have had the Green Egg for almost 10 years. It's first 5 or 6 years were spent on the deck at my house located at the 6,500 foot level on some mountain where the winter temperatures would often reach -10 degrees and we would get as much as 5' of snow in one day. But the "EGG" would still be cranking out delectable smells all year round. The kids would always brag to their friends that we had the best burgers in the state. The short of it is we love the Big Green Egg and our infrared grill and wouldn't part with either.

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:37 am

IMO the Weber series of grills are the best. They are easy to clean with the whole bottom able to come out. The grease trap works well and I just use the foil liners until they tear. I have a Genesis B at my house that is now 20 years old and is still going strong. The one at the Lake is only 15. I do lots of cooking on these as it is so easy to control the heat. Before I got my Smokin' Tex smoker, I used a chip tray in the BBQ for adding that smoky flavor. Great for prime rib!! I keep looking at the new ones but cannot justify getting rid of perfectly servicable BBQ,s. I also have the round charcoal when I want to go camping but it is only 12 years old. Still a pup. Stay with Weber, you will not go wrong.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:03 am

Another vote for the Green Egg: It'll get as hot as you want it, but also works great for smoking purposes...

It doesn't have the largest grilling surface so go with the biggest model you can afford.

Tri tip done slow, steaks, smoked salmon, etc., all comes out fantastic... I smoke all of my fish on it....

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:04 am

I use three types. One is my standard Weber .Its a charcoal grill that works great. My 2nd is a a wood fired old drum cut in half. I burn a fire in one corner then grill or smoke putting the meat to the other side. Thirdly is my Traeger. I have the large texan grill I run apple,hickory most often but I love grape pellets for lamb and or goat.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:59 am

I use a small infared grill. I'll never go back. I do like the old Weber when I have the time to futs with it but day in and day out general cooking the infared is tough to beat. I grill almost every day.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:56 am

Hey thanks ya all. A9, I was hoping you would chime in the Green Egg. I remembered you had one.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Bought a weber genesis last year, great quality grill. I had a grill master before that lasted 5 years before it fell apart. Your going the right track quad, spend a little more and get yourself something that'll last.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:37 pm

The Quadfather wrote:Hey thanks ya all. A9, I was hoping you would chime in the Green Egg. I remembered you had one.
It does a great job and I can't complain, lots of things to tinker with for those that like experimenting..... My smoked fish comes out great and everyone can't believe that it also smokes fish so well.... I'm not a huge BBQ enthusiast but I have done some pretty fun stuff on it from time to time. That being said, it's just like any charcoal grill that takes a few minutes to get started - something your wife may not like...

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:00 am

Traeger for me.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:09 am

Thanks Toni! but I think traeger is only smokers, unless you know of a bbq they make?

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:38 am

Quad, the traegers and the green mountain grilles are pellet grilles/smokers. You really should look into the green mountain.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:08 am

Traegers are a Grill/smoker. I cook alot of food on my Traeger. Smoking is just an option with Traegers because you can regulate the heat.

ShakeNBake
Petty Officer

Post by ShakeNBake » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:40 pm

How much money do you want to spend? Pellet grills are the way to go for me. Convenience and consistent temps. Traeger is the cheap way to go, the small one is around 300-350. I have it, I like it, but I would save my money and buy the best. Green Mountain, MAK, Fast Eddy's, and Memphis. These are the best, and they smoke and grill. For the money Weber charcoal grills are the best IMOO.

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:45 pm

I have a small webber Q-grill 100 or 120 I think. Best gas grill I ever owned. I bought it for the camper but we use it daily at home. It sits on top of the big grill( the big grill burns everything)

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:06 pm

ShakeNBake wrote:How much money do you want to spend? Pellet grills are the way to go for me. Convenience and consistent temps. Traeger is the cheap way to go, the small one is around 300-350. I have it, I like it, but I would save my money and buy the best. Green Mountain, MAK, Fast Eddy's, and Memphis. These are the best, and they smoke and grill. For the money Weber charcoal grills are the best IMOO.

Wow! I just watched a Youtube on Green Mountain Grills. The pellet auger deal.. They look pretty sweet.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:01 am

My in-laws have the big fancy gas thingy, and I've had some of my friends food with other stuff, but I like my round wal-mart charcoal grill. It always tastes good, and I know all it's tricks. I know the temperature control isn't that great, you don't always have time for the charcoal to heat up, and whatnot, but it sure does taste better.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:46 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
ShakeNBake wrote:How much money do you want to spend? Pellet grills are the way to go for me. Convenience and consistent temps. Traeger is the cheap way to go, the small one is around 300-350. I have it, I like it, but I would save my money and buy the best. Green Mountain, MAK, Fast Eddy's, and Memphis. These are the best, and they smoke and grill. For the money Weber charcoal grills are the best IMOO.

Wow! I just watched a Youtube on Green Mountain Grills. The pellet auger deal.. They look pretty sweet.

Update:
I purchased a Green Mountain pellet grill. The Jim Bowie model. No relation to David Bowie.
Man! This thing is awesome! You can smoke as low as about 150 deg. or take it up to 500 deg. So far I've done a beer can chicken. It was super moist and evenly bronzed on the skin. The indirect convection style heat makes for very even distribution. I did about 100 buffallo wings all spread out. They were all evenly cooked, no hot spots.
Tonight I'm going for a low temp. smoked/Stuffed jalapenos. Stuffed with a cream cheese mixture with dungeness crab, seasonings etc. Will set my alarm for about 0300 to pull it out. Maybe I'll get around to adding some pics.

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:07 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
The Quadfather wrote:

Update:
I purchased a Green Mountain pellet grill. The Jim Bowie model. No relation to David Bowie.
Man! This thing is awesome! You can smoke as low as about 150 deg. or take it up to 500 deg. So far I've done a beer can chicken. It was super moist and evenly bronzed on the skin. The indirect convection style heat makes for very even distribution. I did about 100 buffallo wings all spread out. They were all evenly cooked, no hot spots.
Tonight I'm going for a low temp. smoked/Stuffed jalapenos. Stuffed with a cream cheese mixture with dungeness crab, seasonings etc. Will set my alarm for about 0300 to pull it out. Maybe I'll get around to adding some pics.

Congrats on the new grille. I knew if you looked into it you would get one. The things you can do with it are endless. Did a prime rib last weekend and it was awesome!

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”