crappie spawning time.

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jipper
Petty Officer

crappie spawning time.

Post by Jipper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Hello i was wondering if anyone knows when the crappie start to spawn or what tempature the spawn at.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: crappie spawning time.

Post by Amx » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:29 pm

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Aku ... =yfp-t-504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:47 pm

OK, it is a factor of where you are, climate, elevation, lattitude, etc. Still, the old advice is not too far off.

When the dogwoods start to bloom, the crappie are soon to spawn (see note below).

When the night time temperatures are above 45 degrees for three days and the day time temperatures are above 65 degrees for two days, the crappie should be spawning (see note below).

Note: Deep cold lakes will have spawning crappie much later then shallow warm lakes.

The Jigmiester
Petty Officer

Post by The Jigmiester » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Bro. Angling Archer hit that info just right. Generaly, I look at the lilac trees to blossum during the crappie spawn and water temps to be around 63 to 65 degrees and approaching the full moon in May in Northern Latitudes. When the water temps are above 52 degrees, I look for males in slightly shallower water in about 5 to 6 feet. The bigger females will usually hold deeper in 8 feet of water. But once the water temps approach that 63 degree mark, the Males will turn almost black and begin to defend thier nest sites. The males will begin to move in and the spawn takes place in staggered waves in water as shallow as three feet. Both male and female black crappie feed heavily before the spawn so the usual techniques will catch them. I.E : mini jig skirts, curly tails, berkley minnows and such. The Jigmiester

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:25 am

Well that should be easy to see the tress change here in the lilac city of spokane. lol. So jiggy are you saying use those methods under a float or jig them? Stay safe and let the fishing begin.

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”