Just a quick little story

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
R0cky23
Warrant Officer

Just a quick little story

Post by R0cky23 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:08 pm

So I am getting ready for fishing Sunday and I though back on how I got into fishing, so I thought I would share :)

Back in like 6th grade I wanted to start fishing and I talked to my mom about it and she was not as excited as I was about it. But a couple days later my dad told me it would be fun and we should try it. Well my brother, dad, and I headed to the store, picked up 2 Zebco rod and reels and a Eagle Claw rod and reel. Dad got his licence, and we got some worms. The next weekend we headed to Spanaway Lake to do some shore fishing for trout, we had little to no fishing experience so we brought are neighbor to show us some tricks. Didnt catch anything but we all had a great time, we did that for about a year. After that My dads friend brought him bass fishing and then they got me sucked into it. Took me awhile to catch my first bass but I loved going out on the lake and having the experience. I am now just about to Graduate high school and am so Glad I got into fishing. Nothing like going out on a lake with your dad or friends. I have learned so much, and met great people. All my friends talk about parties but I rather spend my time with my line in the water. Well thats my little story, Keep your hooks sharp, lines tight, and FISH ON!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Just a quick little story

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:15 pm

[thumbup] nice storey, and someday you'll look forward to doing the same with your kids.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

R0cky23
Warrant Officer

Post by R0cky23 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Mike Carey wrote:[thumbup] nice storey, and someday you'll look forward to doing the same with your kids.
hey now, I am just now graduating lets not talk about kids already ](*,) haha

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:29 pm

I remeber in third grade I found a relatives fishing gear in the basement. It was just a rod/reel, bass sinkers, baitholders and crappie jigs. From that moment on, all I could think about was what it would feel like to catch a fish. From that point on, I would check out Infisherman at the grocery store, look at lures at store and borrow library books. It was a tough learning curve without a family member or friend to teach me. I was fishing for panfish with 12 pound line and bass rods thinking I might get lucky and get a huge channel catfish out of lake washington. :fish:

Then i picked up fishing again three years ago and joined this site. The rest is history as they would say. Now I got a couple of ultra light rods for trout/panfish, a bass rod and a couple of salmon/steelhead rods. Now a rod just isnt a rod anymore and everything has its intended purpose. :cheers:

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:17 pm

Cool stories guys! Always intriguing how others started. I was fortunate enough my old man loved to fish and he took me out when i pretty much started walking. Had the bug ever since.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Rocky, that is a good story that you relate. I enjoyed reading it because I know you from when your dad and you were in the bass float tube club. I was in that also. I always felt so bad that you put in a lot of hours, but had not landed your first bass at that point. I did think it was great though to see that you really just loved fishing, and I knew that your bass would come. ( I am the guy who sold you the rubber raft)
It is good to here of a person your age talking about getting a fix out of your fishing with your pops, and friends... and more so that this charges you, and you could care less about all the party stuff which the other guys your age were talking about. You have many years ahead of you to kick up your heels and burn the candle..... but having a chance to spend quality time on a lake with your dad is never a thing to take for granted. Keep working that angle and you will be glad you did. [thumbup]

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Right on. My pops made me cast into a circle in the back yard before he'd let me cast by myself. I was probably 4 or 5. We'd go bass fishing on Saturday mornings in our kayak. I got a taste of the rivers and never looked back. Sure, some days when I got older I'd rather play with my guitar and pretty girls, but I always made time to fish.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:40 pm

I started fishing in the 1950's . I was about six yo. I still have my first two rods and my Phluger Supreme reel. I learned fishing on a baitcaster at an early age. as I got older and 100 birdsnests later I graduated to the Mitchells the 300 and 301. I dont have those anymore but my ss Phluger still works and I still use it.

R0cky23
Warrant Officer

Post by R0cky23 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:21 pm

The Quadfather wrote:Rocky, that is a good story that you relate. I enjoyed reading it because I know you from when your dad and you were in the bass float tube club. I was in that also. I always felt so bad that you put in a lot of hours, but had not landed your first bass at that point. I did think it was great though to see that you really just loved fishing, and I knew that your bass would come. ( I am the guy who sold you the rubber raft)
It is good to here of a person your age talking about getting a fix out of your fishing with your pops, and friends... and more so that this charges you, and you could care less about all the party stuff which the other guys your age were talking about. You have many years ahead of you to kick up your heels and burn the candle..... but having a chance to spend quality time on a lake with your dad is never a thing to take for granted. Keep working that angle and you will be glad you did. [thumbup]

I do remember you, and had a great time fishing with you, By the way I still got the raft and love it, Got some good memories on that thing!. It took awhile to get my first bass, but When I got that first one I couldn't get enough even if it was a little one.