Smoked Salmon

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
hewesfisher
Admiral

RE:Smoked Salmon

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:45 am

knotabassturd wrote:hewesfisher- the white wine sounds very interesting. Are you going with a real dry white or any particular type? I want to try that in the brine one of these days.:) :chef:
I just use a generic white zin, it works well since it's for a brine. I've got a batch of Rufus Woods trips in the smoker right now, and I'll take some pics of them before we vacuum seal them. Got to do a taste test anyway. [biggrin]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

knotabassturd
Captain

RE:Smoked Salmon

Post by knotabassturd » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanx hewesfisher for the clarification :-) Glad I asked, was thinking more like a vermouth (quite dry- what I'd use for steamer clams) or something, not a blush. I do have some white zinf around:-k :chef: If only I had more salmon to experiment with LOL (got a few in the freezer but they'll go quick). Guess I need to get some honey dos done.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Re: Smoked Salmon

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:49 am

Man my Dad and I just checked on some coho smoking from yesterday. we had one bite and another and soon enough we ate half a fillet [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [laugh]
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

Skullduggery
Petty Officer

Post by Skullduggery » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:34 am

Just wanted to chime in and say that I tried experimenting with adding some real Maple Syrup to a brine. YUMMY. I'm still juggling proportions of salt, sugar, garlic, and pepper with apple and hickory smoke (I like it bacony) but the addition of some real Maple Syrup put my last batch into the scrumptious category. I actually mixed it into the brine, but I'm thinking next time of applying it as a glaze and seeing if that works the same as honey would.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:24 am

When I smoke Pinks or Chums which to me are the most lifeless tasting salmonoids ,I replace the honey with Molasses. Molasses gives the salmon a dark rich look and a very unique flavoring. Sorghum also works well. I also do not use white sugar. I go for the brown sugar or Raw sugar.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:49 pm

I recently purchased a smoker and used this receipe for my first attempt.
Honey maple brine
2 quarts water, hot
1 cup Kosher Salt
1cup Honey
1 cup "real" Maple sryup
1/2 cup Fresh Lemon juice
2 TB Garlic juice
1TB Allspice
1TB Cracked Black Pepper

Add salt, juice and seasonings to the hot water and stir to completely dissolve

COOL TO ROOM TEMPERTURE BEFORE USING TO BRINE YOUR FISH. Brine for 8 hours.
After brining air dry fillets for 1 hour in the fridge.
smoke 2 200 Degrees until just done about 2 hours.

These where superb at the 2 hour mark, so tasty cant wait to try out some of the other members brines.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:24 am

Its sounds ok. I prefer a much more simpliar taste. I want to taste the salmon/Steelhead Im smoking. That recipe has maple,honey,lemon,allspice,and garlic. Too me there are too many flavors going on. My brine is salt, pepper, soy sauce,white wine,and brown sugar. Its basic but it allows the fish a natural taste. If I was to use trout that is pretty much tasteless then Id add alot of different flavors. JMO

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:50 am

I like to go even one more step in the simple. Salt and a little sugar, raw or brown for simple. Get the fish flavor not the spices.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Bodofish wrote:I like to go even one more step in the simple. Salt and a little sugar, raw or brown for simple. Get the fish flavor not the spices.
After a long and extensive experimentation progress,and trying every recipe on here, I agree. Salt, sugar and that's it. I found that leaving it in brine for longer makes it better. I smoke with cherry and finish with apple, rather than alder. Everyone agrees that this is the ticket that I have taste it. Next up, canning recipes!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:34 am

Agreed. Cherry then apple wood. My favorite wood by far for smoking is apple. One main thing to remember is The fish pieces should float in the brine. If it dosent add more salt.I use Soy and wine on Pinks and Chums. Soy sauce is 99.9% salt. The dark color works well with bland fish\.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:35 am

100% =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 am

I saw where someone mentioned a "Generic wine" When I cook anything from poached sole or cod to even making reductions,I use wine that I would drink. I dont like cooking with a cheaper or less expensive wine. Ive always said ,"if Im not willing to drink it then I wont cook with it". I pride myself on food quality and freshness in my preperation of foods. JMO... Good luck

Fishman Don
Angler

Post by Fishman Don » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Gee lots of great ideas and comments guys thanks so much for all the information, and I thought I knew a lot about smoking fish over the last 30 years :salut: m [thumbup]

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”