one piece rods???

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
goodtimesfishing
Captain

one piece rods???

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:48 pm

How does everyone feel about 1 piece rods verse 2 piece rods? Is there a good reason to get a 1 piece rod? Do 1 piece rods have more sensitivity?? :scratch:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: one piece rods???

Post by Amx » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:51 pm

I hate 2-piece rods, the one I have pulls apart and after a few casts I have to push it back together or the tip section will fly out. Someday I just might fix that.
Tom.

Interests: living

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:59 pm

yes all my bass 6 6 and 7 rods are one piece alot more sensitive and stronger
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

dresscode5
Angler

Post by dresscode5 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:15 pm

I agree! 1 piece rods are the way to go. I keep 1 cheaper 2 piece rod for when fly somewhere for a few days and might get a little time to try new water.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Transportation and storage may limit you to two pieces, but go with one pieces if you can.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:11 pm

The Sage people say with modern ferrules it doesn't matter how many you have.

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Multy piece rods work just as well. I have never had a multy piece rod come apart while fishing. I personally prefer them, much more convenient for travel to!
Just keep fishing

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:31 am

I have both types. In my experience, good quality rods rarely if ever have an issue coming apart on the cast. One thing I have found is that if you use the same brand and model of rod the 2 piece seems to be a little more flexible than the one piece. For example, I have a couple of the Cabelas prodigy casting rods. Both are 7' and both are a MH action. The one piece has more backbone. However I do love the 2 piece rod and both have served me very well. If storage and traveling are not an issue though I would recommend the one piece.

Happy Fishing

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:21 am

I had a one piece and it worked great. It was just hard to travel with. One good thing is that they rarely get stolen. Too bad that it got stepped on and broken. I am now back to all 2 piece. Mostly 8'6" poles which as a one piece are really hard to travel with!!!

fullybuilt2.0
Petty Officer

Post by fullybuilt2.0 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:14 pm

I honestly like a 2 piece or 4 piece. With a 1 piece there is no way to break it down so transportation is a big factor. And where I fish that is a must. Also with the sensitive its really up to you and your rod likelike fast action, medium or slow ect. With the 1 piece there is a lot of more sensitive which is awesome for dry fly action (presentation) but you will need to set the hook harder because its soo filmize. With a stiffer rod like my 4 piece fast action, it is stiffer and I can really set the hook with easy catching bigger fish with hard mouths. It just the matter of what you like and what kind of fish your fishing for but that's my $0.02;)

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Augwen wrote:I had a one piece and it worked great. It was just hard to travel with. One good thing is that they rarely get stolen. Too bad that it got stepped on and broken. I am now back to all 2 piece. Mostly 8'6" poles which as a one piece are really hard to travel with!!!
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh when you said your 1-piece got stepped on and now you only have 2 pieces. #-o

Return to “The Vise - Fly Patterns, Tying, Swap Events”