Buying worms

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Buying worms

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:30 am

Yes they are. Some dirt and just toss what ever you'd throw down your disposal into the box and cover it. Worm ranching is easy if ya want to. I go the other way. I just toss all the left over worms around my garden to keep the soil nice.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: Buying worms

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:41 pm

I just did a search on "raising worms" here at WaLakes. This ole thread popped up. I had fun reading it, thought a few others might enjoy it also,,, sooooo..... BUMP!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

edge540
Commander

Re: RE:Buying worms

Post by edge540 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Bodofish wrote: Beside I'd rather be shocked than shop a wal-mat.
Too dam funny!!! I freakin hate wallmart =D>

I used to do this all the time when I fished trout, Throw em in the worm beds in the back yard and have fresh bait in the box when you went out. Wedding ring off the down riggers, ultra light noodle rod and pound bows all winter under the canvas with the heater cinging your toes. =D> Also used to just go for a walk on a rainy nite with a lanturn and a coffee can.... My neighbors really wondered about me. 8-[

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: RE:Buying worms

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:12 am

Bodofish wrote:For all the wal-mart shoppers, I'd stay away from those worms made in the Chinese sweat shops employing children for slave wages. I'm sure the fish can tell the difference.

Sure fire way to get the worms out of your lawn if you don't want to help support the good American worm farmers.

Make sure the lawn is good and wet. Take a big extension cord (the un-grounded variety). Cut off the female end and split it back about 6 to 8 feet. Bare the ends and solder them onto some thin steel rods about 12 to 18 inches long. Stick those rods in the ground as far apart as you can. Plug it in. Those worms will come racing to the top just waiting to get picked up. Don't forget to wear your rubber boots and it will tingle a bit when you pick up the worms. Don't forget to unplug when you're done. Best to keep the kids and pets indoors while you do it. Been doing it for years, works great.

Huge disclaimer!!!!! Washingtonlakes.com is not involved in the afore mentioned procedure in any way. 120 volts AC can cause serious harm. Do not do this unless you are smart enough not to get shocked.
I gotta try this! "it will tingle a bit when you pick up the worms." LMAO
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:27 pm

I have heard about this worm shocking theory ever since I was a kid. I even built a pair of those things using stiff rods and some broom handles. I was never able to get a worm to surface. I dug wth a shovel and found plenty in the same area that I had shocked, thus convincing me that this method doesn't work.

Years ago I was predominantly a walleye fisherman. Catching walleyes requires a lot of worms. The wise old owl that taught me how to catch walleyes also taught me the best and fastest way to get worms, and they were FREE!
I live in the spokane area. We have a place called the Manito Rose Gardens. During the spring and summer months the roses get watered religeously. We would go to the gardens about an hour or 2 after dark, armed with flashlights. Getting monster nightcrawlers was as simple as reaching down and picking them up. You do have to be sneaky and fast but they are always there for the pickin! The well fertilized and cultivated soild really brings them in. I told a friend of mine about this last year. He went and treid it and called me from the gardens on his cell. "Holy $#@&t man you were right! Giant night crawlers are everywhere in here". It's nothing for 2 people to pick up 200 crawlers there in about an hour and a half. If you have a gardens like that in your area, just go out after dark and pick em up.

Tell em AJ's Dad sent ya. [thumbsup]

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:12 pm

HAd a worm farm growing up. Also in my class at school we had one with "red wigglers" in it. The wigglers would reproduce, but according to the teacher, nightcrawlers don't for some reason. I don't know. But getting your own is easy-peasy. Run the hose on you back lawn for 20 minutes or so and they'll come out to play. On a rainy night we'd walking around with a flashlight and grab them. Gotta be quick, but you'll come up with hundreds in less than an hour. The "worm bedding" is exactly the same stuff as the shredded newspaper that you put rats and hamsters bedding for gerbil cages. Cheaper when they call it small animal bedding. But newspaper without color print works just as well. We used to keep the worms in the fridge, it slows down their metabolism and you have to feed them less, but if your wife is iffy about it, you can keep them outside. Another trick we used was to squirt some dish soap on the lawn before we sprayed it down with the hose, seemed to irritate the worms and bring them up faster. They didn't die or seem to have any adverse affect from it, and when we were kids it was awesome to stomp around in the suds after we were done! Always seemed like a giant waste of money to me to buy worms, even back then when they were only like $.99, when you could get 'em in the backyard for free. But in a pinch when you haven't prepared, walmart worms are the cheapest unless you find an indi store around that competes. I usually get mine at fred meyer, I don't know what the price is, but I doubt it's as cheap as walmart. Nightcrawlers make a great steelhead bait!