Steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishingThePacNW
Commander

Steelhead

Post by FishingThePacNW » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:47 am

so the season is almost over but can you still fish for them and just not keep them?

wolverine
Captain

Re: Steelhead

Post by wolverine » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:04 am

Quick answer: No

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Say there young padawan, get yourself a copy of the regs and study and commit to memory every page that has to do with fresh water and river fishing. After that, you may post questions and they may be answered. I for one am not comfortable answering questions that any fisherman should know the answer to, nor am I comfortable answering questions that should be answered by fish and wildlife. Way too much liability for giving advice of a legal nature, especially to a minor. I hope you under stand, now get your folks to take you to the store and get a copy of the regs and have them read them too. They are ultimately liable for your actions.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:19 pm

I have the regs

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Bodofish wrote:Say there young padawan, get yourself a copy of the regs and study and commit to memory every page that has to do with fresh water and river fishing. After that, you may post questions and they may be answered. I for one am not comfortable answering questions that any fisherman should know the answer to, nor am I comfortable answering questions that should be answered by fish and wildlife. Way too much liability for giving advice of a legal nature, especially to a minor. I hope you under stand, now get your folks to take you to the store and get a copy of the regs and have them read them too. They are ultimately liable for your actions.

I like wolverine's answer better...

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Oh sad panda.... Live with it, when you grow up you'll understand.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Oh no. I have to say that I'm siding with bodo. Please read your regs.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:35 pm

In addition to reading the reg "book", it's also pretty important to keep tabs on emergency regs when fishing the rivers. Here's the link to WDFW: https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... r_select.h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stick with it, learn the regs and go fishing someplace and for something that is in season.

You'll need good maps also... maybe research locations on the web
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:42 pm

natetreat wrote:Oh no. I have to say that I'm siding with bodo. Please read your regs.
Yes, thats why a simple "read the regs about the river you choose to fish" would have been much more appropriate than a paragraph speech of BS. he doesnt need his parents to read the regs to him he's not 5. At least post a helpful link or something like Mark

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Sorry, none of us are his parents. It's clear he needs a little more parental input. Like I said, when you grow up you'll understand.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Or maybe he wanted some input from some real fishermen rather than his parents who most likely dont know a damn thing about fishing or the rules, just saying you could have at least attempted to answer his question thats why he posted in the first place, instead of talking down to him like hes a helpless child. I know cause when i use to fish when i was young people who look down to me and often take advantage of me being a kid and it pissed me off, rarely did i recieve any help cause people thought they were too good to fish with or help a kid, even tho i outfished all of them and still do.

Steelheader112
Petty Officer

Post by Steelheader112 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Wow is all i have to say.....

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:45 pm

fishenfreak wrote:Or maybe he wanted some input from some real fishermen rather than his parents who most likely dont know a damn thing about fishing or the rules, just saying you could have at least attempted to answer his question thats why he posted in the first place, instead of talking down to him like hes a helpless child. I know cause when i use to fish when i was young people who look down to me and often take advantage of me being a kid and it pissed me off, rarely did i recieve any help cause people thought they were too good to fish with or help a kid, even tho i outfished all of them and still do.

I'm sorry you had such a rough upbringing, I just had no idea being disadvantaged meant living in a nice Bellingham suburb. For that I'm truely sorry. Like I said, you'll understand when you grow up. So much angst.......

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Bodo, just my O2,

it seem's like ever sence fishingthepacnw has posted about his website, you have been a j-hole to him eversence....

and honestly you are a full grown man, please stop harrasing a 13yr old, my god!

i bet little kids oout fish you all the time!
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 pm

So when im older ill understand that being mean to 13 year old kids and deliberately not helping them when they ask very politely is completely ok? Maybe your right, I guess its a maturity thing because that does not make sense to me in any way.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:08 am

Bodofish wrote:
I'm sorry you had such a rough upbringing, I just had no idea being disadvantaged meant living in a nice Bellingham suburb. For that I'm truely sorry. Like I said, you'll understand when you grow up. So much angst.......

?? I didnt have a "rough upbringing." I said when i fished people would be a-holes to me because i would a kid when i asked for help. He asked for help, you didnt help. At all. Why not? who knows. Threads gonna get locked now so all im saying is when a kid asks for help, just try and help a little why dont ya

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:23 am

I did and in an appropriate manor. The first place to ask is your parents; the next would be a trusted adult then maybe a call to WDFW with a guardian. Most forums do not allow juvenile participation without written consent from the parents.
Judging from most of the other post I’m going to say there is not much parental participation in his web access.

I'm not really sure why you think this thread is going to be locked, you seem to be the only one bent about it.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:42 am

wow is right. All this over a simple question with a simple answer.

No, you can't target a species that is closed to fishing. Meaning you can't intentionally fish for them. For example, if you're on lake Washington and sockeye season is closed, if you were fishing a bare hook and dodger off a downrigger you would have some explaining to do if you were pulled over by WDFW.

So fishing on a closed river with steelhead gear would be looked at the same way.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".