XXXXXXtreme Alabama rig

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tnj8222
Admiral

Re: XXXXXXtreme Alabama rig

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:11 pm

When I lived in nc huge schools of shad darting around with bass just hammering them. Aka alabama rig. This pic is a bit much but it would catch fish. Yeah some tournies are talking banning the ala rig. Dumb but true. Just like 12 ft rods just to much of a edge I guess

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:22 pm

I made up a Bama rig the other day and tried it out Pike fishing. Even with my 8 1/2 ft swimbait rod it was to heavy to throw and it hit the water like I was throwing rocks. So I went home and made up a Mini Bama rig to test here are both the mini and the Bama rig I made.
6" .032 wires mini bama rig

10" .045 wires bama rig

I think for bass fishing my mini Bama rig will be the best way to go.
Last edited by Fish-N-Fool on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:28 pm

Just remember your are allowed only 3 hooks on a lure in Wa Wa.
Tom.

Interests: living

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Yes, but in Idaho you can use 5 and in Wash you just put spinner blades on two of the snaps and your good to go.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Yup.
Tom.

Interests: living

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:Well I guess if you wanted to mimic a SCHOOL of baitfish - that'd be the way to do it...
As I understand, that is what Lake Trolls are meant to do and they seem like they'd be less of a hassle. [confused]

That rig looks like something we hung over my kid's crib! [scared]

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:28 pm

http://www.striper.net/tackle_terminal- ... oolies.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$22 + SH........
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:17 am

The BASS elite tour has already banned the a-rig. Everyone has to realize the a-rig isn't anything new, saltwater fishermen have been using this rig for 30 years or better. It is called the umbrella rig..

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:05 pm

you don't need to put spinner blades on there. you can have 5 swimbaits, just use 3 hooks and attach two dumby baits at the top without hooks. so you'll have the presence of 5 baits but only hooks on the bottom 3.

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:58 pm

goodolboy wrote:
Elijah.Loves.Fishin wrote:you don't need to put spinner blades on there. you can have 5 swimbaits, just use 3 hooks and attach two dumby baits at the top without hooks. so you'll have the presence of 5 baits but only hooks on the bottom 3.
Seems pointless to have 2 baits without hooks.3 is plenty and I Highly doubt 3-5 fish schools make a difference. JMO [-(
not really, if you've actually seen an alabama rig in the water, you would know that having 5 swimbaits vs 3 makes a significant difference. this isn't an opinion it's a fact. having 5 vs 3 baits gives a much bigger presence in the water, moves a lot more water and causes a lot more vibration. in stained water it has more attracting qualities and is more likely to attract multiple fish. this isn't really arguable. if you feel like arguing you can argue with the pros that have used this. you'd be surprised how many people in california rig their alabama rigs this way and will tell you that they are more successful, get more bites, and tend to attract and catch bigger fish when using a rig with 5 wires compared to 3. you rig a bigger size bait on the bottom 3 hooks while the baits on the top are smaller. you also rig heavier jig heads on the bottom to create balance so the rig always swims right side up. the fish tend to go for the bigger prey and thus tend to attack one of the bottom 3 baits. if you're in a state that allows 5 hooks, you rig up lighter jig heads on the top to help keep that balance. also seeing more bait makes the bass more likely to commit because of the promise of a potentially much bigger meal. not only that but the alabama rig works great for targeting suspending bass. bass are ambush predators and often attack prey from the bottom. even if a bass was to bite at one of the top 2 dumby baits, it will never get a hook in it's mouth and it's not going to be deterred away from attacking again and potentially smacking one of the other 3 baits on the bottom with hooks.

perhaps you should think more and be a little more educated before making ignorant smart!@# remarks. [-X

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:33 pm

tnj8222 wrote:When I lived in nc huge schools of shad darting around with bass just hammering them. Aka alabama rig. This pic is a bit much but it would catch fish. Yeah some tournies are talking banning the ala rig. Dumb but true. Just like 12 ft rods just to much of a edge I guess
you think it's dumb to ban the alabama rig? i as well as millions of others think it's dumb that it was ever legal in the first place. and we're all rejoicing that the bass master elite series and classic have banned it. and they're also banned any sort of multiple bait on one line. no more double drop shots with a jig on the bottom etc. it's ridiculous easy to catch a limit and catch bigger fish when you're throwing that presentation. it takes the skill out of tournament fishing and lets anybody catch a big bag. it takes a real pro with real knowledge and skills to win without using an alabama rig. and nobody throws a 12 foot rod for bass fishing. not even for the alabama rig.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Elijah.Loves.Fishin wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:When I lived in nc huge schools of shad darting around with bass just hammering them. Aka alabama rig. This pic is a bit much but it would catch fish. Yeah some tournies are talking banning the ala rig. Dumb but true. Just like 12 ft rods just to much of a edge I guess
you think it's dumb to ban the alabama rig? i as well as millions of others think it's dumb that it was ever legal in the first place. and we're all rejoicing that the bass master elite series and classic have banned it. and they're also banned any sort of multiple bait on one line. no more double drop shots with a jig on the bottom etc. it's ridiculous easy to catch a limit and catch bigger fish when you're throwing that presentation. it takes the skill out of tournament fishing and lets anybody catch a big bag. it takes a real pro with real knowledge and skills to win without using an alabama rig. and nobody throws a 12 foot rod for bass fishing. not even for the alabama rig.
Do you just like to argue with everybody? Your really coccky man. Btw people used to use way longer rods for bass fishing. Until they banned them and put in the 8ft rule. I could careless if th ala rig is banned never used one never will. My opinion is the only banning should be live bait. I also like only three hooks max although I have never used more than one except on hard plastics. Just curiouse how many tournies have you won? Just saying you sound like a pro bro. What kind of boat you rockin?

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:44 am

@ goodoldboy.
are you trying to refer to yourself as the king of walakes bassin? :scratch:
if you're trying to say that i think i'm the king of walakes bassin, you are gravely mistaken because i do not in the slightest way possible think that.

based on your simple, short, unjustified, arrogant responses, i'm just not even gonna bother reading or responding to anything else you post. later dude.

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:48 am

tnj8222 wrote:
Elijah.Loves.Fishin wrote:
Do you just like to argue with everybody? Your really coccky man. Btw people used to use way longer rods for bass fishing. Until they banned them and put in the 8ft rule. I could careless if th ala rig is banned never used one never will. My opinion is the only banning should be live bait. I also like only three hooks max although I have never used more than one except on hard plastics. Just curiouse how many tournies have you won? Just saying you sound like a pro bro. What kind of boat you rockin?
cocky? right~ voicing an opinion is cocky? so everyone on the forum is just supposed to agree with each other? yeah ok.. and when did i ever say anything about being pro? that's right, never. getting awfully heated just because someone has a different view than you. real nice.

the alabama rig pretty much cheating when it comes to tournament bass fishing. there is a good reason that is well justified about why it has been banned from two major professional tournaments and probably will be banned from more going forward. yes, live bait being banned is awesome but in countless cases, artificials actually outfish live bait.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:28 am

Not heated at all thats just how I type. I think they should ban swimbaits in tournies aswell. I mean just look at the drawing power they have for big fish. Just doesnt seem fair to me. Somebody could get a 15 pounder and win just like that. With the bama rig somebody could get two fish at once. Man such a disadvantage. I got it everybody gets one rod and the same bait. Then it will be fair. Ha give me a break.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:01 am

This thread is super funny too me [rolleyes] ...

The only thing i havent seen thus far is someone in a pic with 3 monster bass on the A-Rig .. [glare]

Im ol'skool , so im not easily impressed with new rigs untill i know for a fact that it can outfish baits/lures that i currently own . Not too mention has anyone done the math on these rigs yet ???? 1 A-RIG + 3 BAITS - ONE SNAG = $40.00 on the bottom of lake ](*,) , time to re tie and start casting again . lol

I think i will just continue to take it one swimbait at time for now [thumbsup]

BBD

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:26 pm

There are all different rigs out there. I know one of my buddies has been very good with coming up with new ways to present baits and reaps the rewards with them.
The alabama rig is just another tool in the arsenal. Personally im not gonna use one but i have nothing against people that do.
Im with tnj and his opinion besides the one rod and one bait. Personally though I think swimbaits are a great tournament tool. In many tournaments a guy throwing a swimbait all day wont win. Swimbaits are great for getting that kicker or when u need to call. Thats my opinion as a tournament angler.

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:47 pm

This is what won the FLW tour this past year on a Lk in Ala.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:57 pm

The HAWG HUNTER wrote:This is what won the FLW tour this past year on a Lk in Ala.
I was watching FLW this afternoon Lake Guntersville Alabama. By the final day, the last 10 anglers were all using it.
Unbelievable........ [thumbdn]
Cast first, worry later.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:23 pm

There were guys in that FLW not getting quality fish on the A-rig, while the leaders were kicking butt with it. Goes to show its not the bait that catch's the fish, its the angler. It's only an advantage if you are good fishing that rig.

I don't think the A-rig should get much talk in a forum like this, I'm guessing 99.9% here have no fish catches with it.