Whats your favorite river fish?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Whats your favorite river fish?

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:26 am

Out of all the river fish that you have caught, whats your favorite to catch or fish for ?
Mine, by far are kings !
Ive caughten silvers, pinks, chum, but kings are at the top of my list.
I love how they usually are diving down and giving you a hell of a fight ! And occasionally youll get one thats jumping like its a silver ! My 2nd biggest king (24 pounds) was jumping and diving and acting like it was a silver. That was a hell of a fight.
My biggest (28 pounds), was diving deep, beyond a cliff thats in the water. It was going up river, down river, and gave me the best fight ive had with a fish.
I've yet to catch a steely, but im pretty sure im going to be goin fishing with another member on here very soon that will get me on fish. Excited for that !
Whats your fav ? :fish:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

returnofthefish
Captain

Re: Whats your favorite river fish?

Post by returnofthefish » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:00 pm

As far as:
numbers - pinks
eating - coho
fight - kings
wishlist - steelhead and sturgeon

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:11 pm

The funnest fish to catch in a river is Kings, the most fun to fish for is steelhead. Can't beat the scenery or the challenge, but when you got 15 pounds of drag on a 40 pound chrome chinook headed for the bottom, it's a rush. I've gotta have at least a 6 fish day to get equal to that with steel!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:00 pm

I agree with Nate. NOTHING fights like a king, but since kings are much more readily availiable in rivers, nothing gets my blood pumping like a steelhead. The fight on a king is unreal, but when I hook into a 15+ pound steelhead its more exciting and i want to land it much more than even a 40lb river king. there just so much harder to find/catch, anyone can get a king, but steelhead are in a whole new class. For fight and amusement, defintelely king. For pure adrenaline and feeling of accomplishment, big Steel. :cheers:

Did someone above me really say pinkS??? haha pinkes.
Attachments
100_0188.JPG
100_0188.JPG (56.82 KiB) Viewed 2675 times

nat
Angler

Post by nat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:42 pm

+1 on the kings but truly loving steel, but I am not gonna lie- I love summer time, fish after fish after fish after fish of pink runs

nat
Angler

Post by nat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:42 pm

+1 on the kings but truly loving steel, but I am not gonna lie- I love summer time, fish after fish after fish after fish of pink runs

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:39 am

I love them all! For power, I caught a 9 foot sturgeon. Other fish - I have caught lots of kings, coho, chums, pinks, summer steelhead, winter steelhead, rainbow and smallmouth bass and a few trash fish. LIke Nat, I like summer fishing - not so much for pinks but for the summer steelhead. I also really like the Springers - both for fight and for table fare.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:00 pm

True, but when you find the right spot, since kings come in same time as pinks, you can get just as many kings as pinks. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Todd Rock
Angler

Post by Todd Rock » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Kings are fun but I prefer Coho. Jumping, running, rolling chrome. Plus they have a larger window of return.
Fishing season is 12 months long.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:47 pm

fishenfreak wrote:True, but when you find the right spot, since kings come in same time as pinks, you can get just as many kings as pinks. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

That is so true . =P~
I miss August. [crying]
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Not the Puke haha. Only seen of heard of five caught during the past 2 odd years there. I need to fish new rivers.

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:56 pm

yeah august and september nooks were so much fun. fishbait and ff both know its an incredible fight trying to stop a king from going into the sticks on a river like the skok or samish. i got carpal tunnel in my wrist from those things. so sick. for me definitely all i can say is I LOVE KINGS.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:52 pm

It's also fun when I can brag to my buddies that are all twice my age, some even 3 times my age, that I can fish just as good or even better then them sometimes ! I caught the 2nd biggest fish out of all my buddies this year... One more pound and it would have tied for the biggest ! [cool]

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:42 pm

i have to say, there aint nothin like a high teen wild steelhead jumping like craz\y 3 ft out of the water, and screaming your 10lb line upriver,
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

Todd Rock
Angler

Post by Todd Rock » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:41 pm

returnofthefish wrote:Not the Puke haha. Only seen of heard of five caught during the past 2 odd years there. I need to fish new rivers.
You have only heard of 5 kings caught on the puyallup last year? I killed 13 kings last year on the Puker. Its all in what spot you fish.
Fishing season is 12 months long.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Its all about landing 60 kings a day. gotta learn the slay zones

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:56 pm

fishenfreak wrote:Its all about landing 60 kings a day. gotta learn the slay zones
I havent landed that many in a day...yet [laugh]
The most Ive hooked in one day is 67 ! landed about 30.

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:27 pm

As far as salmon in the river, or really anywhere, coho are my favorite. But my all time favorite river fish is by far, no question, steelhead on the bank.

My hunting buddy recently asked me why I liked fishing so much? He just couldn't understand it, because he gets such a rush from shooting a deer, but all he's really caught are trout, and he could really care less, and it's more just something for him to do while drinking beer.
I thought about it for a second and the best description I could come up with was that I get the same rush when I catch a steelhead as I do when I shoot a deer... He still didn't get it, but I love the rush and adrenaline, specially when they smash a spoon! :cheers:

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:27 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:
fishenfreak wrote:Its all about landing 60 kings a day. gotta learn the slay zones
I havent landed that many in a day...yet [laugh]
The most Ive hooked in one day is 67 ! landed about 30.

Yea i didnt land the 60 either i ment hooked, but u can use barbs in samish so i probably landed 45-50 of um. That day was amazing because they were all fresh chromers that were moving up ALL day long. nailed a 36lber that day that was chrome and a 40+ darkie.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:17 pm

Freak that looks like a Canadien King."Aint no nookie like Chinookie"