Teach a newcomer to catch big fish?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
coastfishing
Angler

Teach a newcomer to catch big fish?

Post by coastfishing » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi all,

I am very new to fishing rivers for large critters, and new to fishing in the northwest in general (been out twice, skunked both times, of course). Years back I fished things like bluegill and crapie, but it is difficult after moving to Washington state not to notice all of the salmon and steelhead and what have you. I've read a few books about fishing in these parts and I've talked to store owners, but none of the advice I have yet garnered has inspired confidence that I will be able to catch one of these large swimming beasties. I would greatly appreciate if I could tag along with someone while he/she goes on a standard fishing trip to learn the tricks of the trade. I am looking for some advice from someone who know how to catch big fish. Sources like youtube are just not the same as having a real person to talk to, and being there to see the technique. I am pretty decent company (at least my wife thinks so), so it doesn't have to be all work :)
If anyone would not mind such an arrangement please send me an email at flyinggrapefruit at gmail dot com.

Thanks,
Dima

PS: While I have an inflatable kayak that serves as a poor man's fishing boat, I am primarily interested in shore fishing.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Teach a newcomer to catch big fish?

Post by Amx » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Are you a student at the UW?
Tom.

Interests: living

coastfishing
Angler

Post by coastfishing » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:56 pm

I am a graduate student, yes.

mikefiore
Angler

Post by mikefiore » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:42 pm

im new here too would like to have a fishing buddy shoot me a email mikefiore1@hotmail.com usually have weekends off but it changes sometimes have 12 ft boat and motor . hope to here from u. talked to stores too useless they will tell u anything to sell a lure

Colecoal
Angler

Post by Colecoal » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:33 am

put me on the list. just started fishin the rivers. got my first steelies at tokul the other day. caught pinks like crazy but my gf dont fish so dont have friends that fish either theyd rather hangout and screw off. i want to fish
GITRDUN

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 am

coastfishing wrote:Hi all,

I am very new to fishing rivers for large critters, and new to fishing in the northwest in general (been out twice, skunked both times, of course). Years back I fished things like bluegill and crapie, but it is difficult after moving to Washington state not to notice all of the salmon and steelhead and what have you. I've read a few books about fishing in these parts and I've talked to store owners, but none of the advice I have yet garnered has inspired confidence that I will be able to catch one of these large swimming beasties. I would greatly appreciate if I could tag along with someone while he/she goes on a standard fishing trip to learn the tricks of the trade. I am looking for some advice from someone who know how to catch big fish. Sources like youtube are just not the same as having a real person to talk to, and being there to see the technique. I am pretty decent company (at least my wife thinks so), so it doesn't have to be all work :)
If anyone would not mind such an arrangement please send me an email at flyinggrapefruit at gmail dot com.

Thanks,
Dima

PS: While I have an inflatable kayak that serves as a poor man's fishing boat, I am primarily interested in shore fishing.
Where do you fish? Do you have a boat?

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:55 am

I would advise to go couple times with a guide to learn basics and what required gear is and then join someone studying a particular river or lake.

coastfishing
Angler

Post by coastfishing » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:37 pm

I do not have a boat, and my primary fishing areas are north and north-east of Seattle, so the Snohomish and the various rivers that link up to it. But I would not mind driving a bit to meet up with some fun people and getting a chance to catch some fish.

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:30 pm

What species are you targeting?

coastfishing
Angler

Post by coastfishing » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:39 am

Nothing in particular. I would love to know how to catch anything above 5 lbs, such as steelhead. Salmon would be great as well, but as I do not have a boat I do not know that there are too many species that I can nab from the shore.

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 am

Salmon fishing is seasonal and therefore limited, especially from a shore. Right now, on west part of WA you can fish for Steelhead only. Every good spot is crowdy. My friends and I going icefishing on lakes in Central and Eastern WA targeting trout, perch, walleye, and whitefish. The last two species are ranging from 2 to up to 9 pounds. No expensive investments required, just a couple of icefishing rods and reels spoole with 4-6lb line, Swedish Pimple spoons, jigging raps, and an ice auger. I would advise to try it out.

Mikeel1987
Warrant Officer

Post by Mikeel1987 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:57 pm

email sent guys would love to teach ppl the lil bit i do know and hopefully catch some fish