I dont usually ask questions like this, but...

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: I dont usually ask questions like this, but...

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Brian253 wrote:You sure??? Sob, the locals said I couldn't!

not like they care anyways. They throw their eggs away, i got 6 skeins from snaggers who limited and obviously have no need for bait. LOL

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Did you get an video of this fishery? Love to see some footage of your fish chomping on some eggs or at least a fish with eggs hanging out if its mouth, kinda like the ones with your jig fed steel.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:23 pm

no i didnt, i felt pressured to get the fish in with all the people around... but i am headed down again tomorrow because i gotta go south to pick a few things up at a fishin store anyways, so if i get one i will get some video for sure. Probably not of the actual bite, but definetely of the eggs in the mouth, if they dont swallow it down their throat like last time! lol

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Here's a link to a King 5 video from yesterday that was shot at Tokul Creek.

http://www.king5.com/news/environment/S ... 81433.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it looks like a fair amount of that video was shot above the bridge in the closed water as there are no "fishermen" in sight.
Last edited by wolverine on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:30 pm

LOL danny made the video.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:31 pm

you can literally see the snaggers. HAHA and the video doesnt help crowds. They do bite well tho, i bet it would be fun fishery if these ass snaggers were gone.

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 pm

what part of this video shows anyone snagging??? i happen to know the guy who was bleeding the fish and is definantly not a snagger... you realize these people( some) are using a 12" leader and a size 4 hook with scents, doesnt seem like much of a snagging rig to me. i went there and used a setup that a local explained to me, and i did not feel as if the method at hand was snagging the fish, in fact i had two fresh fish cleanly hooked in the beak and was done in 40 minutes. Is it a different type of fishery? you bet your ass it is lol its crazy, but kinda fun and is cool to see the fish come up

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:26 pm

trust me i saw PLENTY of guys fishing legally, drifting yarn and corkee and scent. I also say people put their rod tip in the seam and pull through, and repeat until they were sure nothing was there and they moved on. You can tell the difference. If your fishing legally, the person will NOT pull back or set the hook in any way during drift unless they get a bite. WATCH THE VIDEO AT 0:28 to 0:32 SEE how this guy set the hook sideways and downstream SUPER HARD? WHO DOES THAT when your drift fishing legally? LOL dont get me wrong im not the guy trying to say that tokul is 100% snagging and every guy with yarn and 4 inch leader is a flosseer, I saw plenty of guys doing it legally, but there are, and i thing EVERYONE agrees with me that a large % of them are flossing/snagging intentionally, you just dont hookset every drift or put your rod tip in the water with 6 inches to your weight and pull thru the seam if your fishing legally. It goes both ways at Tokul, i was just saying that the guy at 0:28 to 0:32 in the video is OBVIOUSLY flossing/snagging on National Television. You cant tell me that wasnt a flosser. Seriously. haha. =D> =D>

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:55 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
3footvis wrote: Go to the Vedder if you want an expensive license and slashed tires. Happened to me last year and countless others.

Nice report on Tokul and way to show up the snaggers. Might try that gongshow if I get cabinfever.

Haha thanks! I hit the fish and this guy came up and said "did you REALLY get that fish to take floated eggs?" I was like... uhh yeaaa? LOl anyways, i hear you on the vedder, expensive license and tire troubles. But im not sure if you saw my reports from last year up there. Just park at public parking lots, theres quite a few. AND THE FISHING IS PHENOMENAL. I caught 55 fish in a month and a half last year up there. Plenty over 10 pounds. Got a native over 20, tons of nates over 15lbs. Weighed my biggest hatchery fish at 18.1 pounds. tons of fish, most are outrageously massive. Its worth the price if you know what your doing and can get on fish, and public lots dont have tire issues. Come mid-feb ill be living at the Vedder
I hear ya. It's a cool place to fish. I am guessing the slashers were active during the October King run only...?...since that is when it is craziest up there. After we got slashed we found a place to park on the bank so we could watch the car and fish. Still caught a bunch of fish...coho, pinks, and some huge Kings.

Have you tried straight eggs with no float on Tokul? Seems like that might work well up there when the water is super clear & you can see fish.

luisdabeast206
Petty Officer

Post by luisdabeast206 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:11 pm

is all the water like that? looks like I wont get there until next friday the 20th. Does anyone use bobber and jig? If anyone wants to car pool from Seattle/Shoreline, let me know...

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Don't want to burst your bubble but that run will be done by then, maybe a few stragglers

luisdabeast206
Petty Officer

Post by luisdabeast206 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks for your honesty bro, not bursting my bubble.

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:18 pm

hey you never know, may be worth the try. But its a short fishery, opening day the best and tapers off quickly

Colecoal
Angler

Post by Colecoal » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:20 am

i got a nice buck and hen yest. not slowin down from what I saw. we were up by the bridge.
GITRDUN

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:24 am

Probably the Vedder is one of the best Chinook fisheries around. Ive not had problems with breakins or slashed tires. If you have USA plates thatll happen . I go to Vancouver and drive up with a friend with BC plates. No problems for me up there. Expensive licences?? Who cares. Its worth it in my opinion. When I was at WWSC wed fish Samish,Vedder, Nooksak. Awesome rivers back in the 70's. If you take your license plates off and put them back on after you wont have much trouble.

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:11 pm

racfish wrote:Probably the Vedder is one of the best Chinook fisheries around. Ive not had problems with breakins or slashed tires. If you have USA plates thatll happen . I go to Vancouver and drive up with a friend with BC plates. No problems for me up there. Expensive licences?? Who cares. Its worth it in my opinion. When I was at WWSC wed fish Samish,Vedder, Nooksak. Awesome rivers back in the 70's. If you take your license plates off and put them back on after you wont have much trouble.
Nice, I guess I'll have to find some BC plates to put on my car ;)

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:55 pm

yeah vedder chinook fishery is good. whats weird about it is that most of the canadians up there hate em. they would rather have a 5lb hatchery coho over a 30lb king anyday. I saw a guy cross the river to land a chrome 30# king and all the guys next to me couldnt believe he did all that for "a white spring".

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:34 am

Brian253 wrote:LOL danny made the video.

Is Danny a member? IF so, what is his on site name? You could pm the into if you would rather do that. I saw Danny some 15 or more years ago, on the Tokul. Then not to long after on Lake WA for the Sockeye frenzy. Used to work with him. Would recognize that mug........anywhere. Hella nice fella!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:38 am

3footvis wrote:
racfish wrote:Probably the Vedder is one of the best Chinook fisheries around. Ive not had problems with breakins or slashed tires. If you have USA plates thatll happen . I go to Vancouver and drive up with a friend with BC plates. No problems for me up there. Expensive licences?? Who cares. Its worth it in my opinion. When I was at WWSC wed fish Samish,Vedder, Nooksak. Awesome rivers back in the 70's. If you take your license plates off and put them back on after you wont have much trouble.
Nice, I guess I'll have to find some BC plates to put on my car ;)
Do the Canadians feel that way because of the "whit king stench"? Never caught one. But my understanding is, gloves should be worn to handle them. Or the smell on the hand,s will be a permanent fixture for the rest of the fishing and the entire drive home! With that in mind, are they edible?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:06 am

Best King Salmon you've ever ate. They’re genetically indistinguishable from its red brothers. Many think it has to do with diet. They don't seem to have much market value, I'm guessing because of the color but trust me when I say tasty.

PS they smell like any other king salmon, no way to tell until you open them up.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!