Man shoots and kills suspected burglar

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
spindog
Commander

Man shoots and kills suspected burglar

Post by spindog » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Major Crimes Unit, crime taped off road way, and tons off blue lights, not a cool thing to drive by.
Apparently home owner/ burglar confrontation ends with intruder dead. Too close to home.
Last edited by spindog on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Man shoots and kills suspected burglar

Post by Amx » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:09 pm

I saw that in the news. Yes, anything like that is too close to home.
Tom.

Interests: living

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Anything close to home can be alarming for certain, but the good news is: there is one less burglar out there! Good shooting, homeowner!

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:28 pm

kenimes wrote:Anything close to home can be alarming for certain, but the good news is: there is one less burglar out there! Good shooting, homeowner!

Seems like a no win situation, homeowner messed up from going through this tragic event
and a family stricken with the loss of a loved one. Tragic

The burglar turned out to be a 22 yr old "kid", probably over his head into drugs- sad story.
If someone broke into my house and I felt threatened I guess I would have shot him also.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:37 pm

I was at work at night as usual and this kid came flying through front window. My wife met him buck naked in the hall way with her S&W and shoved it up his nose. Had he hesitated at all that could have been him. As it was the police were there for four hours asking questions. In the end the head dick said you just keep that pistol loaded and within reach at all times....
As it turned out the kid was off his meds for some reason, paranoid delusional begging for help! He was being chased by an imaginary foe. Tell me we don't need socialized medicine!

PS: All the tough talk in the world can't prepair you for shooting someone, even if its justified...... [sad] [sad] [sad]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:04 pm

spindog wrote:
kenimes wrote:Anything close to home can be alarming for certain, but the good news is: there is one less burglar out there! Good shooting, homeowner!

Seems like a no win situation, homeowner messed up from going through this tragic event

The burglar turned out to be a 22 yr old "kid", probably over his head into drugs- sad story.
If someone broke into my house and I felt threatened I guess I would have shot him also.
I cannot argue that the whole thing is tragic and no-win, for both parties families. But yes, if the home invader poses a threat no matter what their age or state of mind, it is our right to defend ourselves and our families. Drugs are bad and make people do really stupid things, understandably. Does not excuse home invasion though.

If it is someone who breaks in to a house, and is NOT posing a threat, such as Bodo's story, then personally, I would think twice about shooting the intruder, or the place up.

rockjiggr
Warrant Officer

Post by rockjiggr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:32 pm

...too close to home.

No way. The place you want this type of incident to happen is right next door. Your neighbor exercises his constitutional right to bear arms and defend his family and property and kills a thief who invades his home and the next idiot who thinks he can break into your home may just stop and think that "folks in this neighborhood are not afraid to defend themselves...maybe I shouldn't try it here." Thats exactly what you want, a strong deterrent.

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:08 pm

I have been there.....16 years ago I shot a man that broke down my back door and threatened my family. You never sleep the same again, you just don't keep your shotgun unloaded. I had just cleaned my 12ga that evening after a day of shooting clay...... when he came through the back door..... I panicked realizing that the shotgun was unloaded hanging in the rack.... I grabbed it and fumbled for some rounds in the drawer.... Turns out I shot him with bird shot instead of the 00Buck Hotloads that I normally had chambered..... He ran out and left a trail but I will never forget the sound of the door breaking or the silhouette in the dark hallway. I heard a crazy noise, grabbed my gun and looked down the hall hoping it was nothing... Learned a lesson that night, keep it loaded and never second guess a situation that will hopefully only happen once in a life time. Many a night Ive walked the yard with my old flashlight over some strange noise.

While I celebrate the recent news as a victory in "The right to bear arms" I do not envy whomever was forced to defend his home that night, It is a sad day for everyone involved and a tense evening for the police. He won yet lost so much

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:23 am

Glad coyotes are the only trespasser I ever EXPECT to see. Easy choice to pull the trigger, shadow in the dark house is a different story. I keep telling myself Im mentally prepared to if I have to, hope I never have to find out. I do keep a loaded 9mm on me 95% of the time when legaly allowed and when not on company property. I keep that puppy about a foot from me when sleeping.

Im on a gun carry forum and there is lots of talk on being prepared and ways to sucure the homestead. Layers of security for the advanced warning. locking doors in the house, security type doors on the exterior, dogs, gated driveway, etc...

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:00 am

Bodofish wrote:I was at work at night as usual and this kid came flying through front window. My wife met him buck naked in the hall way with her S&W and shoved it up his nose. Had he hesitated at all that could have been him. As it was the police were there for four hours asking questions. In the end the head dick said you just keep that pistol loaded and within reach at all times....
As it turned out the kid was off his meds for some reason, paranoid delusional begging for help! He was being chased by an imaginary foe. Tell me we don't need socialized medicine!

PS: All the tough talk in the world can't prepair you for shooting someone, even if its justified...... [sad] [sad] [sad]
The best medicine in such case is friendship. Take him fishing, bring him closer to nature-God, and away from drugs and computer games.

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:17 am

kenimes wrote:
spindog wrote:

I cannot argue that the whole thing is tragic and no-win, for both parties families. But yes, if the home invader poses a threat no matter what their age or state of mind, it is our right to defend ourselves and our families. Drugs are bad and make people do really stupid things, understandably. Does not excuse home invasion though.

If it is someone who breaks in to a house, and is NOT posing a threat, such as Bodo's story, then personally, I would think twice about shooting the intruder, or the place up.
I have seen 22 year old and younger coward guys shooting in the back of mature and wise people. Young people cannot be excused for stealing and robbing just because they are young. Young people have to learn the lesson to respect Law and other people. It is fault of parents who failed teach children have good manners, obey law, and be good citizens. Of course it is sad, but I hope it will be a good lesson for other drug addicts who lost control over their lives. It is better when one person dies and challenges minds of people who otherwise would have distressful lives dying after overdose.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:15 pm

wrote:

Yea, but thats the rub.

You just do not know their intentions.

Is this guy a simple robber or is he going to kill me and rape my wife?

Most of these cats make the decision to violate you and your rights KNOWING that there is a good chance the home owner will be armed. They intentionally play russian rulet with their own life for financial gain. I cant feel sorry for someone that does it to them self. And in the case of the perp that intends to do harm... they deserve what they get if SHTF!

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Rich McVey wrote:
wrote:

Yea, but thats the rub.

You just do not know their intentions.

Is this guy a simple robber or is he going to kill me and rape my wife?

Most of these cats make the decision to violate you and your rights KNOWING that there is a good chance the home owner will be armed. They intentionally play russian rulet with their own life for financial gain. I cant feel sorry for someone that does it to them self. And in the case of the perp that intends to do harm... they deserve what they get if SHTF!
Yep, you never know their intentions. "Good neighbors makee good fences." "Mending Wall" is a metaphorical poem written by Robert Frost (1874–1963)
I would say Good citizen would never breaking a neighbor house. O:)

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:46 pm

Yeah well, I go to church every Sunday and I vote republican and and and.... Sorry don't lump me in with dumb @$$es and Sunday Christians. Both are a blight on our society. Awful lot of big talk going on here. Thanks Roman for trying to tone it down. I have to say that I'm as armed as anyone could imagine and my house is layered in defense, the best guard dog is my Chihuahua, he has big ears and goes off if anyone comes with 50ft of the house. Is he going to bite someone, not unless they offer a hand...... Awful lot of chest puffing and why I otta... Rotten bastard got what he deserved. round 'em all up and mow 'em down, we be a lot better...... Would I shoot someone that entered my home? Yes if I was reasonably sure they could harm anyone in the house. I'm very confident in my shooting skills and I could shoot someone in the shoulder of leg as easily as center body mass or the head, it's called aim. So I'm going to say this for the last time. Shooting someone is a terrible thing. ANYONE! Don't they still deserve judge and jury? Yeah OK they probably deserved it but it's something the shooter is going to have to live with the rest of their life. Are you willing to go see that therapist for the rest of your life? Are you willing to be tied up in court for the next 10 to 15 years? I'm not just talking about criminal which could happen, it's the civil court that's going to put you on your knees and deal the death blow. Now all that said, go out and buy a gun and shoot the next guy that steps through the door. Do you really have it in you to shoot someone? Are you willing to make the commitment?
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:01 pm

:scratch:

Personally I didnt feel the conversation was about that. Not advocating shooting anyone. Talking more in general ya know?

Never shot anyone and dont plan to. Dont feel sorry for the criminals that do get popped either. How I would be feelin and what the perps family was suing me for is a differnt thread.

Sorry if my previous post seemed that way, I post on pro carry forums as well and the tone is much different. Home security and survivalism is a major thing there. Just carried over.

Back to the original post. News said "Suspected Burglar" no one know for sure what his intentions were now. One can only inagine and apply to their home situation for analysis and comparison. What would I do?

Not intended as toughness or bravado.

Im not into stogies but I'd like to B.S. sometime over a scotch... [biggrin]
Last edited by Rich McVey on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Heheheheh, yeah you bet! any time! especially with some gear dangling in the water!

juggalo
Petty Officer

Post by juggalo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:47 am

to all of you with families depending you better make sure your justified shooting a burgler even in your own home in the middle of the night .your family may not apreciate visiting you in prision. trust me were not in texas or the 1920s.proving reasonable force or that your life was in iminent danger can be difficult when the other party is dead

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Understood.

Lots of responsibility owning and carrying a gun. Really, the only "Justified" they consider on WA courts is that you were in fear for your life or safety, or that of another. Property doesnt count.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Rich McVey wrote:Understood.

Lots of responsibility owning and carrying a gun. Really, the only "Justified" they consider on WA courts is that you were in fear for your life or safety, or that of another. Property doesnt count.
That would only be criminal. Civil is another ball of wax all together.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:27 pm

yep ... lottsa huff 'n 'n puff'n everytime 1 of these stories pop up in here.... this 1s not as nasty and there havent been the usual " SHOOT 'EM ALL" types..... 1 point ya'll have missed in this ... and the 1 that could hang ya about the legal use of force law ....

CAN YOU GET AWAY ? ...

burgler ... lost/drunk idiot .... even if you "felt" threatened .... dont matter if YOU can get away ...
even from a eminent threat of bodily harm .... if you are able to escape the direct threat ... by go'n in a rm lock'n the door or run'n outta the house ... what ever ... if you can get away ... your in the wrong...

<shrugs> ....DOG