I dont usually ask questions like this, but...

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:12 pm

I have a few days off the end of this week, and i just wanted to explore a new river i havent fished before. I have seen many reports of people catching mass amounts of steel at the recently opened tokul creek. I know literally nothing about the fishery, but if theres a lot of fish being caught id like to try it out. What river does it flow into? I do know that it can be pretty freaking crowded. Anyways, if anyone would be willing to help me out, id like to know some things like where to fish, if theres a hatchery i need to stick by, how far down from hatchery you can find fish, and so on... I dont need any tips on gear obviously, but maybe a map of where the fishing is, i dont even know where the river is other that east of seattle in king county. Anyways anything would help, i just wanna try something new. Thanks all,

FF

G-Man
Admiral

Re: I dont usually ask questions like this, but...

Post by G-Man » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm

It dumps into the Snoqualmie river near the falls. There is a hatchery on the creek which is why it gets stuffed with fish. It fishes best when colored and high so unless we get a bunch of rain in the next couple of days, you may be better off fishing the main river.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Do you know how much fishable water there is? The rules says hatchery intake marker to the bridge... Can you go below the bridge? How much water are we talking about here, like a mile or shorter? Just wondering how much water there is to fish if you walk a long ways or stay put??

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Tokul Creek is interesting for a couple reasons IMO. First, it's a small stream which you can almost jump across, so think fishing boulder pockets and close quarters. Second, it's a stream that has a very pronounced angle to it - when you hook a fish they will be inclined to wash down the stream into the Snoqualmie.

Those two factors change the way guys fish compared to wide open rivers, mainly, stronger and shorter leaders, and less "drift". You'll be doing a short drift and using "flipping", as in bass fishing, to work some of the boulder pockets.

That said, it's pretty cool when you hook a fish in such close quarters!

We are talking a small amount of water, maybe 100 yards max. When I fished it guys were allowed to fish both sides of the bridge, if that has changed then there is even less space.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:17 pm

alright, thanks. I thought it was much longer than that, but ill give it a look anyways. Dont like too much of heavy crowds, but for such a small creek i hear the fishing has been great these last few days, so well see what happens!

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:33 pm

The only time its worth "fishing" is during high water. Creek is being generous as its really more of a fast running ditch. Bring a salmon wt rod and a reel loaded with 20 or 25 lb test line. Crank the drag to full stop so when you get the hook(s) into a fish, just sling it up the bank. Is it a pristine steelhead fishery? It's the epitome of a hatchery gut hole harvest fishery.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Lol, that doesnt make me so interested... Haha. Well im not gonna go put heavy line on, or floss a steelhead. So im just gonna go and see what happens, if its too crowded with snaggers or the fish wont bite cause it hasnt rained recently, then oh well. And if i do get some fish to bite and i cant land um on 10lb test... oh well again. Lol

luisdabeast206
Petty Officer

Post by luisdabeast206 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 am

when are you going? I may go Thursday.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 am

Tokul creek really isnt fishing persay. Take a broom handle and strong line with 20lb leader. You will hook your fish. You cant let him run. You must hold him in one of the many pooled areas. Its not my kind of fishing. I like the open river where I can fight a fish.Just my personal preference.. Wolverine hit it on the head. Cannibals fish Tokul.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:09 am

Fish it and gives us a report. The negative comments about this fishery seem negative, but in reality it is the truth. Personally, I don't see any sport to it. Grip and rip pretty much. Sight flossing. Flossing. No thanks. But if you are in it to feed your family, then do what wolverine and racfish advise.

luisdabeast206
Petty Officer

Post by luisdabeast206 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:10 am

sounds like minster creek...

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Hit tokul today like i said. LOTS of snaggers. LOL Anyways, i used a float, one split shot and eggs. Fished a seam above a popular hole, and a fish would move in and rest every 10 minutes or so. I got 3 out of 6 or 7 fish that i saw to bite the eggs, very aggressively i might add. Came out of their holding spot to eat. SO FUN TO SEE THAT!!!! Lost a hawg 12lber, landed 2 small 5-6lb bucks. All fish in 10lb test, no problems there, just chase um downstream. big one simply spit the hook. Its fun for something new to try, but i really dont enjoy hearing line ripping thru the water all day long. Egg fishing for fish i could see was super fun tho! Now that i know the holes i can go back and start in a better hole, the fish, suprisingly for being snagged upon a lot, are VERY willing to eat. 2 of my 3 swallowed eggs very DEEP!!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:15 pm

Wow FF. Youre so close to the Vedder . I cant believe you did Tokul. Dosent seem like you. Hehehe. Im glad you caught fish. The hatchery got their quota last week so they opened it fully. If you want big fish next time try the mouth of the Raging River. Its a native run but Ive caught and seen some big fish there.The other spot on the Snoqualmie is right below the falls. Im not sure if David Powell road goes that far up but its also a hot area for biggy Piggies.The water there is heavily oxeginated(sp).

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the creek itself is baitless, unless you were fishing the actual river??

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Cool Racfish, yea i didnt even know what tokul looked like, but i was just in the mood to fish something new. It was pretty fun sight fishing and casting above the fish and watching them take it, but it would be A LOT more fun if it wasnt crowded. Having a river like that to yourself basically and fishing a fly or trout rod with a rooster tail or something would be awesome. Anyways, yea i saw some good water on the snoqualmie, i might have to try that some day, although like you said ill probably just go to vedder! LOlo

And Brian bait is OK in Tokul

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 pm

You sure??? Sob, the locals said I couldn't!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 pm

I didn't see anything in the regs about no bait. LOL. Sounds like they were feeding you a line. :^o
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (29.19 KiB) Viewed 3371 times

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:39 am

Brian253 wrote:You sure??? Sob, the locals said I couldn't!
Hand them the regs and ask them to point it out next time you get told something like that. Then you'll both be clear about it.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:18 am

racfish wrote:Wow FF. Youre so close to the Vedder . I cant believe you did Tokul. Dosent seem like you. Hehehe. Im glad you caught fish. The hatchery got their quota last week so they opened it fully. If you want big fish next time try the mouth of the Raging River. Its a native run but Ive caught and seen some big fish there.The other spot on the Snoqualmie is right below the falls. Im not sure if David Powell road goes that far up but its also a hot area for biggy Piggies.The water there is heavily oxeginated(sp).
Go to the Vedder if you want an expensive license and slashed tires. Happened to me last year and countless others.

Nice report on Tokul and way to show up the snaggers. Might try that gongshow if I get cabinfever.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:09 pm

3footvis wrote: Go to the Vedder if you want an expensive license and slashed tires. Happened to me last year and countless others.

Nice report on Tokul and way to show up the snaggers. Might try that gongshow if I get cabinfever.

Haha thanks! I hit the fish and this guy came up and said "did you REALLY get that fish to take floated eggs?" I was like... uhh yeaaa? LOl anyways, i hear you on the vedder, expensive license and tire troubles. But im not sure if you saw my reports from last year up there. Just park at public parking lots, theres quite a few. AND THE FISHING IS PHENOMENAL. I caught 55 fish in a month and a half last year up there. Plenty over 10 pounds. Got a native over 20, tons of nates over 15lbs. Weighed my biggest hatchery fish at 18.1 pounds. tons of fish, most are outrageously massive. Its worth the price if you know what your doing and can get on fish, and public lots dont have tire issues. Come mid-feb ill be living at the Vedder