Chum salmon

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
noclothes1
Lieutenant

Chum salmon

Post by noclothes1 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:17 pm

Whats the deal with chum salmon? I heard they are good smoked but that they are called dog salmon for a reason. Still, I mostly C&R anyway. Are they a fun fish to target?
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Chum salmon

Post by A9 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:22 pm

Yea they are fun to target on a nice November day. Edible? Depends on where you are fishing for them..Some of em get real gross by the time they get up the rivers a ways. I thought they were fun to fish for last fall, cause they are pretty easy to catch and they are pretty plentiful, and can get quite big. I've seen some 20+ lbers dead on the sides of the rivers, and landed this 15lb very dark and colored Chum:
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:21 pm

They are the meanest, toughest, ugliest salmon to swim in the rivers and an absolute blast to catch. But once they start turning I wouldn't bother with eatign them. I remeber the first time I caught chum I dragged out two huge fish, 15-20 lb each. They were as dark as could be. I'll bet the regulars had a good laugh. I actually paid to get one smoked up. It wasn't too bad, but never again!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:03 pm

Yea that fish pictured above would not be the one to keep...They say if you see any of the vertical bars on the fish, throw it back...

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm

They do turn really quickly. I went fishing by Hoodscanal hatchery one day last year and my friend and I both caught really really dark ones (I'm with ya Mike on regulars having a laugh at my expience because I thought my zombie salmon were a huge deal)! But, anyway I was told when still in salt like hoodscanal you're more likely to catch a silverish one if you use bait. I was using herring under a bobber, so that didn't hold true for me, but I'm looking forward to testing that theory this year.

That's a really nice picture/fish Sam! Chums are breath-takingly beautiful. I love how their mouths go into total jaws of death mode when they go into their spawning phase.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:53 am

Yea that was a pretty cool picture with the fading sun...It was really late in terms of run timing, so I think early december, we had been out all afternoon for about 3 hours with nothing to show, freezing cold and finally at dark I hooked into that fish. My hands were about frozen in that picture and I look pale white cause it was so cold (this was right after the snowstorm last fall) so we were so relieved to turn the heat on in the car when we got back...

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:59 am

It depends who you talk to(like my girlfriend)some people say the are the best Salmon to smoke.I think they are pretty easy to catch probably because there are so many of them.They are mean if you get one out of the water and go to it back some times you'll hear them grunt and hiss.I've caught them onspinners,herring and my favorite way and by far the best fight is on a fly.That is a battle.But unless they are silver I don't keep.My girlfriend on the other hand doesn't really care.You know how it goes I'm lucky just to have a girlfriend who goes fishing.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:40 pm

shawn wrote:You know how it goes I'm lucky just to have a girlfriend who goes fishing.
Can't complain about that..

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:26 pm

that is a beautiful picture, still trying to figure out who is uglier tho?
i kid i kid!

great picture Sam! it looks close to Monroe? am i correct or far far off? beautiful sky. and december? buuur, i'll be up in the mountains then :)

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:31 pm

That was at the mouth of the Wallace where it flows into the sky...I should have been up skiing. It was about 35 degrees when that picture was taken. I was pale white and ready to run back to the car...

I think the fish is the better looking one of the two...

JayBoy
Petty Officer

Post by JayBoy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:05 pm

Has anyone considered mounting a Chum? I think that if you got a pretty good sized and fairly decorative fish it would make one of the sweetest mounts, but thats just my opinion. Great fish Sam, I hope to catch one of them bad boys in a few weeks.
Fishing is a Privilege, not a sport!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:32 pm

I've actually thought about mounting a whole room full of every salmon in it's chrome (ocean) colors and then some in their "spawning" colors as well. Would be cool to see the spawning colors right below/next to the chrome version.

Of course I'd have to catch em all and have them repro'd just like the pics...

I think I'd only have to get a sockeye from the river and a Chum from the ocean, and a river king too....

JayBoy
Petty Officer

Post by JayBoy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:01 pm

That would be a site to see! but very expensive and could take a while
Fishing is a Privilege, not a sport!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:03 pm

Yea I'm more worried about getting the repro mounts paid for then how long it would take to catch them.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:35 pm

hey, i was just wondering on what the best lure/bait to use for these awsome fish? i missed the pink and silver run this year and i am hoping to get some chum action
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:37 pm

Fisherman_max wrote:hey, i was just wondering on what the best lure/bait to use for these awsome fish? i missed the pink and silver run this year and i am hoping to get some chum action
Dont give up that quick. You can still catch both pinks and silvers. All the pinks are pretty nasty, my neighbors went out on Tuesday and they caught 5 or 6 pinks, but they were really ugly. And silvers are still in pretty thick and are still in good shape. In fact I havnt seen one that was in its spawning stage yet. I still see kings from time to time as well, but they all seem to be pretty ugly like the pinks.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:03 pm

Yea silvers are in full throttle now from what I hear, a bunch of fresh fish you could get out and keep for the bbq...

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:56 pm

i just caught the fish in my picture on the left last sunday had it for dinner tuesday it was very very good!!!
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:58 pm

oh ya and i caught it near lower granit dam

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:01 pm

quick question for well any1 were is the closest spot to lower granit dam u can catch those chum salmon it looks fun