Smallmouths in Pine Lake

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
iPodrodder
Commodore

Smallmouths in Pine Lake

Post by iPodrodder » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:43 pm

I've been trying to catch a smallie in Pine Lake of the public pier. Any suggestions? I have some dropshot rigs, been trying them out. I might take the canoe out sometimes too. Are they too far away from the dock? Are they out in the weeds or finding rocky areas farther away?

T Dot
Commander

RE:Smallmouths in Pine Lake

Post by T Dot » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:54 pm

we have caught them all over the lake

:king:

ive only hooked into a few around those docks, but i was the first one on the water. if there more than a few people around the docks, i dont fish it anymore.

if you only fish those docks, i suggest you go earlier.
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 201 HDSV
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:37 am

I don't fish Pine anymore. Too far away for an old bass angler who now lives across the Sound. There should be some lunkers in there now though because I was catching small smallmouth in that lake back in 1986. Always suspected some "Bucket Biologist" brought them up from Samammish and put them in Pine. Good Luck and Tight Lines, BJ
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:53 am

Ok, thanks for the tips. I will go try early in the morning and see what my dropshot can do. Bass Tracker, that bucket biologist is one of the only ones to actually help a lake.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:45 pm

iPodrodder wrote:Ok, thanks for the tips. I will go try early in the morning and see what my dropshot can do. Bass Tracker, that bucket biologist is one of the only ones to actually help a lake.
What about the guys who take home their limit of Trout fry/hatchlings night after night during the early summer? ](*,) So much for leaving food for our favorite predator; at least there is a healthy helping of crawfish to be had.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:23 pm

EastsideRedneck wrote:
iPodrodder wrote:Ok, thanks for the tips. I will go try early in the morning and see what my dropshot can do. Bass Tracker, that bucket biologist is one of the only ones to actually help a lake.
What about the guys who take home their limit of Trout fry/hatchlings night after night during the early summer? ](*,) So much for leaving food for our favorite predator]

How does that help a lake? Sorry I'm a little confused here.

Do the bass eat the Louisiana craws or the signal craws more? I think the Louisiana ones might be too large and aggressive for average sized bass to eat.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:07 am

Sorry, my sarcasm wasn't quite conveyed effectively about the trout "anglers". As far as bass' crawfish preference, I haven't the slightest idea. The top predator will usually adapt and overcome in order to obtain more food.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sommysom
Petty Officer

Post by sommysom » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:13 am

Do the bass eat the Louisiana craws or the signal craws more? I think the Louisiana ones might be too large and aggressive for average sized bass to eat.[/quote]

Smallies love craws!!

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:24 am

sommysom wrote: Smallies love craws!!
I love craws too! Aye-yeeee! :chef:
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:52 pm

iPodrodder wrote:
EastsideRedneck wrote:
What about the guys who take home their limit of Trout fry/hatchlings night after night during the early summer? ](*,) So much for leaving food for our favorite predator]

Do the bass eat the Louisiana craws or the signal craws more? I think the Louisiana ones might be too large and aggressive for average sized bass to eat.
Sorry, totally missed that sarcasm. #-o ](*,) ](*,) Yes, there are many of those 'anglers'. A lot of the Asian fishermen at Pine and Beaver keep every fish they catch. More than their limit. I've tried to call them out, but can't,
because half of them don't understand English and the other half blow me off. 8-[ It is really frustrating for me. Our lakes are put and take, but this is ridiculous.

If I was to fish a crawdad lure, should I go big (Louisiana) or small (native signal)?
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:56 pm

I know what you mean about the non-english fishermen taking more then what you can legally take...

I'd fish a variety of crawdad lures. Whatever you know the crawdads in there to look like, match em up with a crawdad crankbait that looks like em. Joes has a good variety of them.

A craw colored jig or brush hawg will do the trick too. Or a hula grub colored the same way on a jig head will match a crawdads swimming pattern...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:29 pm

Ok, sounds good. I need to run down to Joes or somewhere.....I need to expand my tackle box. I think I'll have to try that hula grub and the jig.