Replacing Hooks on Plugs

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Colin31778
Angler

Replacing Hooks on Plugs

Post by Colin31778 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:00 pm

I took a buddy out fishing yesterday he didn't have any plugs so I let him use one of my favorites. I t worked well for him he landed a nice Chrome Coho Hen but one of the hooks bent. He changed out hooks and the action on the plug isn't the same anymore. Anyone experienced this?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Replacing Hooks on Plugs

Post by Amx » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Was the new treble the same size, shape, length of shank? Was it installed correctly and not upside down?

Colin31778
Angler

Post by Colin31778 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:16 pm

It was off a different Brads didn't think about it being upside down.

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:31 pm

We were using treble hooks on our Kwickfish K16 getting bites but only 10% 1 out of 10 successful when a boat next to us used Siwash hooks getting much better about 40-50% of successful hookups. Can you explain?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:35 pm

I could guess, but I'd have to see the lure, the hooks that were on the lure, and the other Siwash hooks. Then I could compare, and guess. It also could just boil down to the speed of the retrieve.
Tom.

Interests: living

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:52 am

Also may need to re-tune the plug of the front eyelet was twisted at all. Just pull the plug along side the boat - if it tends to go left or right, just turn that eyelet the opposite direction a hair, toss it out and test it again. Keep it up until it runs straight.

Alot of people (myself included) will switch out the trebles for a 3-bead chain and a single siwash hook. Hookups seem to stick better on short strikes and when coho roll, the siwash on the chain will roll with them where the treble direct on the plug will work as leverage against the fish's cheek to work the hook free.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:13 am

I am also thinking to change all the treble hooks to a 3-bead chain and single Siwash hooks. I think that setup provides some flexibility and not ripping off the hooks out of the mouth.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:10 pm

When I'm fishing Steelhead, Salmon, and Dollys I always replace the trebles on my Rapalas and plugs with single Siwash hooks. I don't use the triple bead setup because with me they were tangling with the lure to much. Although for bass I always change out my trebles with KVD triple grips or Gammy trebles on my jerks and cranks. I think its important to try and match the hook size and to keep em tuned. If Ive got a particular crank thats killing em, when I put that particular lure back in my box when I'm done with it, I'll leave a little tag line on it so I won't get it mixed up with an identical looking lure thats already in the box (I usually have several of the same) I'll keep using that one till it looses it's mojoe, then it's on to the next one.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 am

Don't be afraid to try the 4 or 6 beaded chains. I also use the Siwash. Good luck.

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 pm

basser90 wrote:When I'm fishing Steelhead, Salmon, and Dollys I always replace the trebles on my Rapalas and plugs with single Siwash hooks. I don't use the triple bead setup because with me they were tangling with the lure to much. Although for bass I always change out my trebles with KVD triple grips or Gammy trebles on my jerks and cranks. I think its important to try and match the hook size and to keep em tuned. If Ive got a particular crank thats killing em, when I put that particular lure back in my box when I'm done with it, I'll leave a little tag line on it so I won't get it mixed up with an identical looking lure thats already in the box (I usually have several of the same) I'll keep using that one till it looses it's mojoe, then it's on to the next one.
What size of siwash hooks is appropriate/match the size 16 of Kwikfish, Wee Wiggle Warts or Brads based on your experience?

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:45 am

Hey Roman, I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. I usually use a split ring and a size 1 Gammy [thumbup] I'm not sure about the Kwikfish, but with Wiggle Warts and Brats it works great for me, not to mention Rapalas :-$ . I'm not big on beaded chains because I feel it effects the action of my lures (plus they tangle the hooks together). I'm real big on presentation. We'll always catch fish on basically any lure with any hook system, but it's the big picky bruiser I'm after. Salmon, Trout, Steelhead, Bass and all the rest

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:31 am

#1 Siwash on Wee and Magnums, no matter what size is the lure itself?

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:27 am

I would go up or down on hook size depending on the size of the lure of course, but most of my Wiggle Warts and Brads Brats are the same size (not sure what size right off, standard about 3"or so) and I do use the #1 Siwash on the two and the larger three treble Rapala's. A larger hook would also work, but a #1 is pretty universal size for me. I also like that size for swapping out on my #3 and #4 Vibrax's and most spoons that I throw. Experimenting has led me to this and it seems to work, but I'm no expert