Coyote Hunting

All things related to hunting.
CoyoteCrazy
Petty Officer

Coyote Hunting

Post by CoyoteCrazy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:10 pm

I just moved to the Spokane area from Oregon and I am looking for someone who is passionate about hunting predators and reliable. I have met a fair amount of people who like to talk about hunting but don't have the ambition to put it into action.
If you have never been, but would like to try it out, I love showing the sport to new people. I have an extra rifle, all the calls, decoys and a lot of experience and success.
I have found a couple areas already, but if you have some favorite deer or upland bird hunting areas they can all benefit from decreasing the predator populations.
Let me know if you are interested.

yooper_fisher
Lieutenant

Re: Coyote Hunting

Post by yooper_fisher » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:03 pm

I've always wanted to try coyote hunting, and there seems to be a ton in this state. I wish I lived closer so I could take you up on your offer to show a guy who usually only hunts deer and ducks.

CoyoteCrazy
Petty Officer

Post by CoyoteCrazy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:43 pm

I started in college, just bought a call and had a buddy that was willing to try. It is a lot tougher on the west side of the mountains just because of the dense vegetation. There is a vast amount of information available both online and through video sources. I encourage anybody to get into it, it is a year round reason to get out in the woods and hunt, plus it keeps your skills sharp. If you ever have an questions, I will share all I know. Good luck.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:55 pm

only yotes I hunted were desert Sierra Nevada yotes can see them for miles... Although a call would of been a better choice to hunt with we were young and didn't know that much about hunting only that we were able to get a few on the weekends and had fun doing it.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:17 am

I'd like to thin out the population here where I live but I'm in a designated No Hunting Zone. Im allowed to take one if its running by or killing yet more of my critters. I have a live trap but no luck so far.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:52 am

What do you guys find to be the best call for calling coyotes in washington

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:57 am

House cats.
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Amx wrote:House cats.
Now to advocate the use of house cats for bait is not very Modly.... Alot of people have pets of that description.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Rich McVey wrote:I'd like to thin out the population here where I live but I'm in a designated No Hunting Zone. Im allowed to take one if its running by or killing yet more of my critters. I have a live trap but no luck so far.
PM me or ping me at the office and I'll fill you in the technique......... :-" :-"
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:54 pm

HaHaHaHaHa I think I know exactly what your talking about Bodo... We used to drive a stake in the ground out in the middle a hay field and then we would go get some whiskas and some leather gloves so that we could get the "Bait" ready and then..... well thats all I can remember on here :-"

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 am

Bodofish wrote:
Now to advocate the use of house cats for bait is not very Modly.... Alot of people have pets of that description.

Bingo, Lost two cats to coyotes. Even heard the attack happen when the second died. Couldnt use one as bait. A chicken I could. I have an electronic coyote call, has "house cat in distress" in the line up of noises that it makes.

Saw the pack just before christmas. Well, I saw their eyes. Was 3 am and they were across the road whooping up a storm. Took the flood light down and shined the pasture. Krikey.... got some serious goose bumps. I wish good night vision riflescopes were cheaper..!

CoyoteCrazy, If I were closer to ya, I'd be in. Whats a good 300 to 500 yard rifle?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:09 am

Not just cats.... My mother in laws neighbor lost a couple Tshit Tsu's (sp). They turned them out in the back yard to do their biz and the Yotes just dashed through the back yard and picked them up, never made a noise........

I use a nice little Rem 22lr with a good scope, it's good for 1" at 100 yrds I load it up with stingers and shoot from inside the house. The best time is at dusk or dawn. She has a street light on a pole at the edge of the yard, they're plenty bold to go for bait and they'll work on it if it's staked out. Easy shot and if you only shoot once no one can tell where the sound comes from. I haven't had one go more than about 50 yards after the shot. 22 works fine in a suburban setting.

PS don't think your big dog can take them, it won't happen. The pack wins every time.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:50 am

Understood, our dogs our house dogs, havnt had much contact with anything other than people, cats, and bunnies. One on one I'd still bet on my dog but I hear what your saying. Usually, both are alwayse togeather and in a fenced yard.

Ruger 10/22 with a 3-9x30 scope (sighted for 100yds) is what I have, CCI Segmented 1650 fps. Nasty lil devils.

This is the pack I have to deal with folks - http://woodinville.komonews.com/news/70 ... itage-hens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:47 pm

Growing up in Walla Walla, I had the pleasure of hunting coyotes on more than one occasion. The foothills of the Blue Mountains seem to be thick with them. See a lot of them lower in the valley as well. Probably the same up near Spokane.

Mostly would go up looking for Grouse, and when the bird hunting was slow, would try for a coyote.

I used a wounded rabbit call, and was shooting my old SKS, firing the 7.62 rounds. No scope.

Good times.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:51 pm

That's a good time and I used to do it too around Vantage but, it's quite a bit different from urban yote-ing.

CoyoteCrazy
Petty Officer

Post by CoyoteCrazy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:21 am

I take 2 different rifles when I go out plus a shotgun. I have a weatherby 22-250 Sub MOA and a 257 Wby mag. I use the 22-250 unless the wind is really rippin. The 257 is my Mule deer/antelope rifle and i am shooting a 110 gr bullet that cuts the wind great, shoots just as flat as the 22-250. However @ $5 bucks, a shell I prefer to use my 22-250. I got my little brother into Coyote hunting, and he bought his first coyote rifle in 243. Hornady Superformance varmint loads are terrific and make the 243 into a great coyote gun.
Depending on what you want to spend their are more options now more than ever in varmint rifles. Howa rifles are smooth operating and relatively cheap depending on the model, but all shoot great. Thompson center just came out with last year their venture that is guaranteed MOA for around $500. All the major rifle makers have a varmint line of rifles now, but some don't make it in the 243.
Optics are just as important to me as the rifle. My favorite is a 4x16 power. 80% of the coyotes that come to the call are shot around the 100 yrd mark or under. The higher end power helps me to pick a dog out of the tree line that either hung up or caught my wind.
There are alot of calibers and everyone has their preference, same with rifles. But the 243 is my ideal rifle with the right load, and it can double as a deer gun. With any rifle, do your research both online and in the the stores, handle it, make sure it is a gun you can throw up quick and has a clean light trigger break which is critcal for those longer range shots.
That is my short answer, hope it was helpful.

Rich McVey wrote:
Bodofish wrote:
CoyoteCrazy, If I were closer to ya, I'd be in. Whats a good 300 to 500 yard rifle?
Last edited by CoyoteCrazy on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:27 am

Around here, more like under 50yrds. Shooting in the back yard.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:50 am

Rich McVey wrote:I'd like to thin out the population here where I live but I'm in a designated No Hunting Zone. Im allowed to take one if its running by or killing yet more of my critters. I have a live trap but no luck so far.

I used to target the ones above the Winery in decades past. Then again I also hunted ducks in the field next to the Winery.

You might check and see if you are legal to use a bow and arrow on them. Or.... get a nice quiet .22 LR round and say the heck with it. Live trap would be a legal option

CoyoteCrazy
Petty Officer

Post by CoyoteCrazy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:10 am

Another option depending on how into guns and of course the amount you want to spend.
Savage Arms just came out with their Mark II FV-SR which you can get in any rimfire caliber(I would choose the .17HMR) that has a threaded barrel which they tout as "suppressor Ready" Then you just have to get the suppressor which depending on your background, is a matter of filing for the permits. This is definetly more expensive than a other options, but a head shot will drop a coyote in its tracks and you won't be explainning to the neighbors about guns shots or sneaking into their yard to recover your arrow and the coyote. Coyotes and go a long ways with an arrow sticking out of them.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Fantastic. I definately want to get into some yotes!! I need to get a nice yote gun. Until then, my .300 wsm will do the trick [laugh]

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”